Sign in to follow this  
Penny Hardaway's Ghost

Magic to re-sign Jason Williams

View Postfan for too long, on 03 August 2010 - 06:23 PM, said:

If you want to talk about young pg's who could blossom in a few years, then what about Randle who played on our summer league team this year. He is lightening quick and looks to be a leader and a good shooter. He would dribble circles around JWill. And much cheaper. But Oh I forgot the Magic don't develop young players unless they are a top five pick in the draft.

Reply by WPMagic:

Gortat and JJ disagree.

Player draft pick #

Chris Corchiani #36

Geert Hammink 26

Brooks Thompson 27

Rodney Dent 31

David Vaughn 25

Brian Evans 27

Ama McCaskill 49

Johnny Taylor 17

Eric Washington 47

Michael Doleac 12

Miles Simon 42

Courtney Alexander 13

Steven Hunter 15

Jeryl Sasser 22

Reece Gaines 15

Antonio Burks 36

James Augustine 41

Would all disagree with you!

Are you arguing Orlando didn't try to develop those players? Because in many of those cases, they tried very hard to develop those players. They just weren't good players.

Are you arguing Orlando didn't try to develop those players? Because in many of those cases, they tried very hard to develop those players. They just weren't good players.

Trying and doing are two different things. I am saying that they don't develop young players except for the rare occasion. Not that they don't try. Meaningful minutes in a game is where players develop not just in practice.

Trying and doing are two different things. I am saying that they don't develop young players except for the rare occasion. Not that they don't try. Meaningful minutes in a game is where players develop not just in practice.

Wow.

• Downvote 1

no, practice is where players develop. Games are when we go "man, this guy is pretty good. we should play him more."

no, practice is where players develop. Games are when we go "man, this guy is pretty good. we should play him more."

Practice, we talking bout Practice.

Really, I disagree. You can be a phenom in practice and suck in games, and also vice versa. Some people excel under pressure some do not.

I am shocked that Acie Law's name keeps getting mentioned. Shocked.

Look at me! Im the artist formerly known as DOM. I use hyperbole to make my points. Who cares that we're arguing about a 34 year old who slowly declined the entire year finally to the point of possibly putting up the worst stats of any point guard (starting or otherwise) in the playoffs. I only consider these points when I'm forming statistical arguments about players I dont like. Lets continue the trend of geriatric third string point guards because when Nelson misses games this year (and he will) I can't wait to see his potential 2.6 points 1.6 assists in 14 minutes per game.

God forbid we grab a guy who has young legs, is able to hustle, and doesn't completely symbolize our entire team's effort during the Boston series with one notoriously poor attempt to grab a loose ball.

I can't wait to toss away another first round pick for a backup point guard when we find out that White Chocolate has gone stale.

Really, I disagree. You can be a phenom in practice and suck in games, and also vice versa. Some people excel under pressure some do not.

we're talking about development, you develop your skills in practice. You're confusing development with success.

We can't give every prospect enough playing time in order to assess where he's at. It just doesn't work that way. Coaches see how the players work, perform, and compete in practice before throwing them into the fire. Even if you are a 1st round pick, you have to prove yourself in practice before getting PT. If someone doesn't practice well, from a coaching perspective, why would you put the player in a game situation?

we're talking about development, you develop your skills in practice. You're confusing development with success.

I am not confusing anything. Playing in a real game that counts is where you find out if a player is good or not. NOT in practice. I have seen many young guys on this team be wasted on the end of the bench, never seeing playing time. A few have had great spurts in games just to go back to the end of the bench for weeks at a time. JJ comes to mind a few years ago. How fast would his development been if he would have gotten to play more earlier in his career. Another good young player had some great partial games and then never seen the floor again. Litterial Green. Once you destroy a young persons confidence with this type of coaching then it is very hard for that player to regain it and sometimes it never happens.

Look at me! Im the artist formerly known as DOM. I use hyperbole to make my points. Who cares that we're arguing about a 34 year old who slowly declined the entire year finally to the point of possibly putting up the worst stats of any point guard (starting or otherwise) in the playoffs. I only consider these points when I'm forming statistical arguments about players I dont like. Lets continue the trend of geriatric third string point guards because when Nelson misses games this year (and he will) I can't wait to see his potential 2.6 points 1.6 assists in 14 minutes per game.

God forbid we grab a guy who has young legs, is able to hustle, and doesn't completely symbolize our entire team's effort during the Boston series with one notoriously poor attempt to grab a loose ball.

I can't wait to toss away another first round pick for a backup point guard when we find out that White Chocolate has gone stale.

I'm not necessarily against finding a younger 3rd string point guard, assuming it could be done in a way that was both productive and cost effective.

I'm against signing Acie Law because, and I'm choosing my words carefully here, Acie Law blows chunks on the NBA level. Also, it would be far more expensive to bring in Law than it was to resign Williams.

I am not confusing anything. Playing in a real game that counts is where you find out if a player is good or not. NOT in practice. I have seen many young guys on this team be wasted on the end of the bench, never seeing playing time. A few have had great spurts in games just to go back to the end of the bench for weeks at a time. JJ comes to mind a few years ago. How fast would his development been if he would have gotten to play more earlier in his career. Another good young player had some great partial games and then never seen the floor again. Litterial Green. Once you destroy a young persons confidence with this type of coaching then it is very hard for that player to regain it and sometimes it never happens.

JJ got to see playing time when he stopped being a huge liability defensively. We're not Golden State. We don't throw scrubs out on the floor and let them shoot as much as they'd like. You can't win games that way. In practice, coaches can get a feel for how players can perform. Why should a coach put a player out on the floor in a real game when he can't even handle practice? If a player doesn't perform well in practice, he most likely will not perform well in game.