Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Official NCAA Football 2010 Season Thread

The AP still ranks the SEC as #1 so yes.

See, that's just laziness on the media's part. Take a 5 Hour Energy and stay up past 10pm. You can argue between the SEC and Big 12 this year who is better. You might be able to argue the SEC against the Big 10, maybe. But even the biggest SEC homer can't argue the SEC being better than the Pac 10 this year if they open their eyes. Sure, this is at the end of the day some what open to opinion, but you have to draw a line somewhere. I could have an opinion that Soulja Boy is a better rapper than Jay Z. Yeah, it's an opinionated topic, but I would be wrong. Same goes here, you can say the SEC is better than the Pac 10, but you would be wrong.

• Upvote 1

and these two bcs computers have the sec ranked higher

Billingsley’s Conference Comparison sec 1

Peter Wolfe sec 2

and the Sagarin rankings have them third

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc10.htm

Colley has them 2nd

http://www.colleyrankings.com/curconf.html

Anderson has them 2nd

http://www.andersonsports.com/football/ACF_frnk.html

so i think thats enough to support "The SEC is not the best conference"

Did I say they were the best?

Look at where the acc is ranked and compare that to the sec

I said sec >>>> acc

Now if the acc and the sec were the only two conferences then I would be saying sec is the best

Did I say they were the best?

Look at where the acc is ranked and compare that to the sec

I said sec >>>> acc

Now if the acc and the sec were the only two conferences then I would be saying sec is the best

way to go out on a limb there. of course the sec is better than the acc

I'm the one who said I'd put the SEC over every other conference except the PAC-10 this year and even then I'd call it a tie. But how about we just go ahead and say screw the rankings and computers, and just break down the conferences then and look at some hypothetical matchups top to bottom. Since everyone, myself included thinks the PAC-10 is the best conference out there, will match them up against the SEC.

SEC vs, PAC-10

1. Oregon (9-0) vs. Auburn (10-0)

2. LSU (8-1) vs. Stanford (8-1)

3. Bama (7-2) vs. Arizona (7-2)

4. Arkansas (7-2) vs. Oregon St. (4-4)

5. Miss ST. (7-2) vs. USC (6-3)

6. UF (6-3) vs. Cali (5-4)

7. South Carolina (6-3) vs. Arizona St. (4-5)

8. UGA (5-5) vs. UCLA (4-5)

9. UK (5-5) vs. Wash (3-6)

10. Miss (4-5) vs. Wash St. (1-9)

So let's look at this in the most unbiased of ways. Start with the top 3 teams in the conferences. Oregon vs. Auburn? Tie. Niether team has been tested by a quality team not from their conference and most likely they will both end up in the National Championship anyway. LSU vs. Stanford? I'd say you have to give LSU the nod due to their defense and the fact that they have more quality wins then Stanford does. Bama vs. Arizona? Even someone who hates the SEC knows that game would be an absolute rout. So top teams SEC has the advantage.

Middle teams?. Arkansas vs. Oregon St? With Mallet at the helm that is a blow out. Miss St. vs USC? I can give the PAC this one but it would be close. UF vs. Cali? Neither team has preformed well against ranked competition but at least Florida can claim there only a two plays from having only one loss. Florida would win. South Carolina vs. Arizona St? South Car would blow them out of the water. UGA vs. UCLA? Bruins win that one. Middle teams are split right down the middle.

And the bad teams? UK vs. Wash? Kentucky wins easily. And Miss vs. Washington St. would be another easy win for the SEC.

Now I might be a little biased, but when you look at both conferences you can't even begin to say that the PAC-10 is far and away the better conference top to bottom.

Same could be said about Florida State. We shot ourselves in the foot in both of these last two losses. Ponder went "Tony Romo" on us against NC State and then Dustin Hopkins went "Garrett Hartley" on us against UNC. We would be 8-1 and more than likely in the Top 10.

As far as the SEC goes, it's more overrated than ever (if that's even possible). Alabama is their only really great team, and they have two losses. I'm warming up more to Auburn, but I still look at them as the Cavs of college football. If Cam Newton was to go down they would be their usual 7-5 Auburn team. Mississippi State being ranked is a joke, and South Carolina got a fluke win against Bama. Without that win everyone would look at them as a mediocre team, which they are. LSU is mediocre at best, and I'm a supporter of LSU.

Florida (be ready to see this post get a lot of negative rep from Gator homers) is a BAD football team this year. They struggled against Miami, and not even the real one. They almost lost to USF, BJ Daniels saved the Gators (I wish he had thrown the ball like that against us last year). Then they lost three straight games, including one at home to Miss St (don't care what the media says, they're bad). They're going to lose to South Carolina, who's again a mediocre team. What makes me mad is everyone blames the Gators being bad this year because Tebow is gone. Uh, no, EVERYONE is gone. The guy who called the plays for Tebow is gone. The WRs who would take Tebow's check downs and make them 60 yard TDs are gone. The TE who would bail Tebow out is gone. The defense (and DC) who were the real stars of the Gators are gone. That was a GREAT team, a damn dynasty, and they're all gone. Yet, let's only mention the golden boy who honestly, when we look back we'll say "Damn, we really did overrate that guy. I mean, he only really won one national title, he was on the bench for the other one. And had Dennis Dixon not gotten hurt he wouldn't have even won a Heisman. How silly we were to say he's the greatest player ever, he wasn't even the best Gator. He was good, but not great."

And now for my answer to this:

You could say the same thing about FSU. I think they are a better team then they have showed to be lately but thats how it crumbles.

You can go ahead and call the SEC over rated and that the media rides their dick all you want but your not providing the best of reasons. You don't trust the medias view of the SEC? Then go look at the coaches poll (which I would say is the poll that you can trust the most over the AP and BCS). It has 7 SEC teams in the top 25.

Not only that but you contradict your own arguments with each thing you say. You call Alabama the only 'great' team the SEC has but then call LSU mediocre at best, when just this week, LSU went out and beat Bama. Their only loss was a 7 point one to Auburn. You say FSU is only 2 bad games away from being 8-1 and in the top 10 but you say Florida is a bad team in general when they can claim the same. You don't like Miss. St. being ranked but yet their only two losses are to two of the top 10 teams in the country.

As for your mini-Tebow rant, I'm not even gonna touch that with a 10 foot pole. Get over it. Dude was a great football player.

My main point here is, I would be the first to admit the SEC gets far too much media attention compared to other conferences. But your hate on the SEC this year is just irrational. There are 3 VERY good teams in the SEC this year and a couple of others who aren't that bad either. Which is what you can say about pretty much every other conference.

LSU had an extra week to prepare for Bama and they wanted it more because the hatred towards Saban drives them. Those are the only reasons they beat Bama, that's how I can say they're mediocre at best. Let's also not forget the WVU game they almost lost in Baton Rouge, and would've lost had Devine not gotten hurt. And I would know more about WVU more than anybody on this board and believe me, they are NOT a good team this year. While I'm talking about LSU, they would lose to Stanford by at least two touchdowns, and I'm a fan of the team saying that. You obviously haven't watched Stanford very much.

Oregon vs Auburn

Stanford vs LSU

Arizona vs Alabama, though not a blowout like you said. You obviously haven't watched Arizona much.

Oregon State vs Arkansas, toss up. Mallett has looked terrible just as many times as he's looked great. Also, who's tackling Quizz Rodgers?

USC vs Miss State

Cal vs Florida, toss up. Cal is very Jekyll/Hyde, whichever team shows up decides that game.

Arizona State vs South Carolina, toss up. Ariz St is better than their record, just an XP short of betting Wisconsin in Madison.

UCLA vs Georgia

Washington vs Kentucky, toss up. All depends on how Locker plays.

Washington St vs Ole Miss, then again, Ole Miss did lose to a D2 school.

This surprisingly hasn't been mentioned yet, but everyone needs to leave Cam Newton alone. He goes to Auburn, meaning Miss St can give him or whoever as much money as they want and it doesn't matter, because he's not at Miss St, he's at AUBURN. Not guilty, case closed. Voters better not screw him out of the Heisman because they think he took money.

2euu64w.jpg

Shouldn't that be Miss St's logo on the money?

Edit: I didn't see the "Mullen Broke" sign the first time lol. Everything I've heard has been Miss St offering money, not Auburn. Then again, my ears kind of stop working whenever the tv starts talking about it because I don't care anymore. Everyone in college football is taking money, EVERYONE.

Shouldn't that be Miss St's logo on the money?

Edit: I didn't see the "Mullen Broke" sign the first time lol. Everything I've heard has been Miss St offering money, not Auburn. Then again, my ears kind of stop working whenever the tv starts talking about it because I don't care anymore. Everyone in college football is taking money, EVERYONE.

no, his people asked for $180,000 because "he wanted to give a coach he liked a discount to get him there" Miss st told the SEC compliance people and he went to Auburn under the assumption that they forked over the money just like they did when FSU was battling them for a defensive line recruit last year or the year before and was a huge FSU lean. The guy then made a weird quick change to Auburn in a short amount of time.

Not everyone is taking money just like not everyone took steroids in baseball. It happens a lot though.