Magic Fan 4 Life

Bob Vander Weide: Expect to see more Brandon Bass next season

Our system isn't good enough to achieve the ultimate goal of a championship.

The lineup Orlando uses has limitations defensively. Individual players have limitations on both ends of the floor. The "system" itself is fine.

The last two postseasons demonstrate how Orlando needs flexibility

Agree, Orlando needs to become more versatile.

The last two postseasons demonstrate how Orlando needs flexibility in adjusting to opponents who _master_ our 1-4 system.

This mythical "1-4 system" isn't the issue. The issues are the 4 can't create quality looks for themselves against teams who don't need to double the 1 and quality half court teams can exploit Orlando's individual defensive weaknesses.

These are personnel issues, not system flaws.

Whether it be Bass or Gortat, we need proficiency in switching to a more traditional PF when times call for it. The regular season is the best time to practice with what we've got. I can't stomach another postseason frenzy to adapt our system (when we should already have tested alternatives).

Could not agree more with this. The post season isn't the time to experiment or re-invent yourself. The chemistry with these lineups needs to be established during the regular season if there's to be any expectation of success when it counts.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I do not think the system is a problem, but the need to be able to play a different style when the 1-4 is not working. I hope Bass somehow grows a brain, because his mid range game would be ideal to place next to howard.

I do not think Gortat and Howard on the court works at all.

I think Stan should utilize both systems. As we all know, this is a league of match ups. If he prepares his team for both the stretch four and the traditional system, he could utilize both systems without any problems. Well..there is the problem of whether that player will perform well under both systems.

Stan really needs to work the kinks out of both systems with the roster..or future rosters we have during summer camp and the earlier part of the season.

As someone mentioned, we could win a championship with the system we're running now. Its the matter of meeting expectations.

Rashard was sick: Did not meet expectations

Vince Carter didn't come through the for most of his 48 minute games: Did not meet expectations.

All four (Jameer, Howard, Rashard, Carter) didn't play well for one two or even three games in that series.

Its all about being prepared on court and off court.

This time last offseason, I was looking at all the potential matchups between us and the other elite teams in the league. I assumed - like the rest of us - that there would be times that we would be switching to a more traditional lineup, with a true power forward. After all, we had just matched Gortat and signed Bass away from Dallas. It only made sense that we were looking to become more flexible and versatile.

Of course, that didn't end up happening. It was hard to argue with the results of a 59 win season. And while I'm not ready to say that the reason we lost to the Celtics is because Bass didn't play and wasn't familiar enough with our offense, I will say that the teams that gave us fits when playing our "4-1" are even stronger now. So, we need to know whether Bass can be a 13-8 guy when he gets 25 minutes at the PF spot. We also need to know if that means we are a better team.

I understand wanting to be able to play a traditional lineup here or there. But Bass doesn't give us a traditional lineup, just because he has big muscles doesn't mean he can play the role. He won't improve our rebounding, and he won't improve the defense from the four....why play him?