Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

C. Paul trade adventure; ESPN TrueHoop(pg. 17)

quote:
Originally posted by Live or Die Magic:

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

VC didn't pout? Really?

Kobe didn't pout? (If he didn't play for the Lakers, he would have been traded) Contract year....was using it as leverage...never intended to leave.

Gasol didn't pout? Memphis WANTED to trade him. Plus, um...Chris Wallace????

I mean, superstar players pout all the time. Hell, Nick Young is probably pouting because he doesn't get enough playing time.

The only reason we are hearing about it is because it's Chris Paul. You just helped make my point. We are talking about the best point guard in the league (when age is factored in) and he is pulling this stunt with TWO YEARS left on his contract! He wants to be just like his buddies.

And look...I'd like him on our team...I just don't like what is means for the power the star players have over the competitive balance of the league.

I don't really disagree with you, I just don't think that Chris Paul is the start of this, nor do I think he will be the end of it either. The thing is, particularly with Paul, is that his team really has no chance. They aren't bad, but they aren't going to be playing for a title as constructed, and it's going to be ridiculously difficult to make changes and improve that team.

I don't like the seemingly selfish behavior, but at the same time, teams are generally run "as a business", trading players as they see fit. Shouldn't there be some sort of avenue for the players as well? Granted, I'd prefer it not be played out through the media, but maybe that's the only way in certain situations.

CP3's trade request may very have been spurred by what Bron & Co. did, but I don't think you say its the only reason he's requesting a trade.

NO promised him they would make moves to improve the team. To date all they've done is trade a lotto pick so OKC would take Mo Pete's contract off their hands.

Agree with Echo, this is hardly the first time, & will most certainly not be the last. This is what it took from Kobe to get LA off their arses and this should trigger a similiar fight or flight response from NO.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

CP3's trade request may very have been spurred by what Bron & Co. did, but I don't think you say its the only reason he's requesting a trade.

NO promised him they would make moves to improve the team. To date all they've done is trade a lotto pick so OKC would take Mo Pete's contract off their hands.

Agree with Echo, this is hardly the first time, & will most certainly not be the last. This is what it took from Kobe to get LA off their arses and this should trigger a similiar fight or flight response from NO.

I agree. Like I said in another thread, Paul is seeing his basketball mortality after being injured for a large portion of the season.

He sees that coaching, management, and potentially ownership are changing. This could mean new philosophies and a new rebuilding project.

Its at least going to take another two years before they're in title contention with a new regime (assuming they take a proactive-aggressive plan).

Yeah, and like I said before, New Orleans and LA are two entirely different organizations. The Hornets do not have the resources or market to pull off a huge deal to REALLY keep Paul happy. Sure, maybe they can maybe pull off a trade for I dunno...Jason Thompson? But are they going to pull of a trade for a top tier, or even maybe a notch below that type player? I don't think so. They traded for an over the hill Peja. They gave a ridiculous contract to Emeka (whether he deserves it or not is debatable. Whether he deserves that contract on that team is as well). And their drafting has been REALLY hit or miss, unless they are drafting PG's apparently.

If Turk's contract can be moved, so can Okafor's.

Toronto might be a perfect place for Okafor, they still have their Bosh TPE. Add a sweetner (draft pick) and you might have a stew brewing.

Hornets still telling everyone who calls they're not trading CP3. New GM Demps scheduled to address media for first time after CP3 sitdown

from marc stein twitter.

This sounds like hes saying a Hornet.

quote:
Originally posted by otis_smith:

Hornets still telling everyone who calls they're not trading CP3. New GM Demps scheduled to address media for first time after CP3 sitdown

from marc stein twitter.

no it doesn't

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:

from marc stein twitter.

no it doesn't

Lewis,

You think the GM is going to address the media by saying, we are looking to trade CP3?

If there is anything you guys should have learned by now is that nothing is official until it's official and that just about all sources so far this summer have been wrong.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:

from marc stein twitter.

no it doesn't

Lewis,

You think the GM is going to address the media by saying, we are looking to trade CP3?

Sad_Face_by_hornsholdmyhalo.jpg