Sign in to follow this  
iTs JUST zo

How much worse is Nelson than CP3?

There is definite concern with the injury, especially since instead of repairing the meniscus, they simply took it out. As I understand it, there is a lack of cushioning present without the meniscus and could be pretty painful with some bone-on-bone interaction.

Also, looking some stuff up...

quote:
The younger the patient, the more consideration should be given toward meniscal repair, as loss of meniscal function sets in motion an accelerated aging process within the joint that leads to at least some degree of future osteoarthritis in the affected region of the knee.

Also, removing the meniscus is generally best saved for older individuals (over 35-40)...

quote:
This is because the patient's knee has probably already been subjected to the majority of stresses that it will see during the course of its lifespan, and it has no specific risk factors (other than the meniscus injury) for premature osteoarthritis. This makes the loss of meniscal cushioning less objectionable.

http://www.oralchelation.com/c...iveKneeJoint/p10.htm

Considering basketball is extremely stressful on the knees, it would seem that there is a risk to CP3's career being shortened. I haven't seen anything about loss of performance, but pain usually indicates losing a step.

I'm not saying we shouldn't trade for Paul because of this, but I think it definitely has to be taken into consideration. Especially since we would likely end up giving up Jameer, who really played his best basketball in the playoffs and would be likely to continue that performance over the next few years.

quote:
Originally posted by magicfan83:

There is definite concern with the injury, especially since instead of repairing the meniscus, they simply took it out. As I understand it, there is a lack of cushioning present without the meniscus and could be pretty painful with some bone-on-bone interaction.

quote:
The younger the patient, the more consideration should be given toward meniscal repair, as loss of meniscal function sets in motion an accelerated aging process within the joint that leads to at least some degree of future osteoarthritis in the affected region of the knee.

Also, removing the meniscus is generally best saved for older individuals (over 35-40)...

quote:
This is because the patient's knee has probably already been subjected to the majority of stresses that it will see during the course of its lifespan, and it has no specific risk factors (other than the meniscus injury) for premature osteoarthritis. This makes the loss of meniscal cushioning less objectionable.

Considering basketball is extremely stressful on the knees, it would seem that there is a risk to CP3's career being shortened. I haven't seen anything about loss of performance, but pain usually indicates losing a step.

I'm not saying we shouldn't trade for Paul because of this, but I think it definitely has to be taken into consideration. Especially since we would likely end up giving up Jameer, who really played his best basketball in the playoffs and would be likely to continue that performance over the next few years.

true, but 4 years of great paul is better than 6 years of nelson. If it shortens his career to the point that he plays like anthony johnson at age 30 then lets just hope the prior 5 years is enough for a championship.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:
Originally posted by magicfan83:

quote:

quote:

true, but 4 years of great paul is better than 6 years of nelson. If it shortens his career to the point that he plays like anthony johnson at age 30 then lets just hope the prior 5 years is enough for a championship.

The good news is that Paul would likely have to pass a physical or the trade would be void. My uncle is an orthopedic surgeon, when I get a chance to talk to him, I'll see what he thinks. He's usually really amazed by how quickly these guys come back and how good their pain tolerance is.

I'm not totally sure a 90% CP3 makes us a whole lot better, especially considering what we would have to give up, and even moreso if he loses some of his quickness. Losing quickness hurts him across the board in terms of defense, penetration, lift on jumpers.

If Paul comes out and reverts to his 08-09 form, then absolutely its a great trade. If he loses a step and his career is shortened, then taking on Okafor's monster of a contract would really kill our flexibility in the future to move on.

I'm just saying, this move isn't without risk. It's not a Gilbert Arenas type risk though.

Looking at how people are coming back from these surgeries nowadays I feel more inclined to take the risk than I would have been even in the mid 1990's. Amare doesnt look like he has lost a step, and Shaun Livingston is back in action after what certainly would have been career ending less than 10 years ago.

Even so, a 90% Chris Paul is way better than a 100% Jameer Nelson.

quote:
Originally posted by LeBrickJames:

quote:

Don't get mad, it's just a signature.

Dwight and Nelson played their hearts out in the ECF. They were our most consistent players.

Vince Carter, as usual, played like the loser he always is and always has been. For you to pin the loss on Dwight shows how much of a blinded VC fanboy you are. I can't wait till that loser gets traded off our team so that you can go somewhere else to post.

The only good thing that came from Carter coming on the Magic is that now we are in a position to involve that fool in a trade to NO for Chris Paul.

From what I saw, no one came play. The first 3 games were terrible for orlando.

quote:
Originally posted by VCdaCarter:

quote:

quote:

Dwight and Nelson played their hearts out in the ECF. They were our most consistent players.

Vince Carter, as usual, played like the loser he always is and always has been. For you to pin the loss on Dwight shows how much of a blinded VC fanboy you are. I can't wait till that loser gets traded off our team so that you can go somewhere else to post.

The only good thing that came from Carter coming on the Magic is that now we are in a position to involve that fool in a trade to NO for Chris Paul.

Ir's funny how even in a thread about Chris Paul, you find a way to make your boy Vince look like a victim of hate. Nobody hates Vince, don't take it personal. It is fact that he slipped up in the ECF, perhaps more vividly than any other player on the team. Fans are upset, as they have the right to be. Grow up man, and stop trying to make Vince look infallible in every single thread you post in.

EDIT: This may have been random, but I'm tired of it. Pleease, just have some quality posts for gods sake.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Anybody else concerned that Paul might not be the player he once was due to his knee?

Hell no. Look how well Grant Hill turned out for us, and while Paul isn't yet able to play, he's not on crutches.

quote:
Originally posted by sharp[7]shooter:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ir's funny how even in a thread about Chris Paul, you find a way to make your boy Vince look like a victim of hate. Nobody hates Vince, don't take it personal. It is fact that he slipped up in the ECF, perhaps more vividly than any other player on the team. Fans are upset, as they have the right to be. Grow up man, and stop trying to make Vince look infallible in every single thread you post in.

EDIT: This may have been random, but I'm tired of it. Pleease, just have some quality posts for gods sake.

It's not even that. Vince gets brought up in every thread, theres always a shot at Vince.

Fans have a right to be upset with Vince not getting the Magic back to the finals with his high expectations but why must he be brought up and made into discussion in nearly every thread. It's retarded.

It will always go like this. -random angry poster will use Vince as the complete 100% scapegoat and master of suck- fanboy will defend but makee Vince look like hes still 25 and invinsible to any blame-someone will come in with little reasoning- gifs/vidoes will be posted-repeat

idk its jus non stop on here. and no one ever wins. Except the ones who dont post on it.

quote:
Originally posted by sharp[7]shooter:

quote:

quote:

quote:

My comment didn't even have Carter's name in it, so what are you crying about. Why don't you check the comment above mine, see how that makes you feel.