Sign in to follow this  
iTs JUST zo

How much worse is Nelson than CP3?

Anybody else concerned that Paul might not be the player he once was due to his knee?

Would you be satisfied trading for Paul if, due to the injury, he was only a top 5-6 PG in the league?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Anybody else concerned that Paul might not be the player he once was due to his knee?

Would you be satisfied trading for Paul if, due to the injury, he was only a top 5-6 PG in the league?

It would certainly be bad depending on who we gave up for him.

But what's a 5-6 PG in the league to you? I mean, how far would Paul's game have to drop in order to be below Rose, Rondo, Westbrook, etc?

I love Jameer but when you have a chance to get a top ten player you go get him especially when he's expressed that he wants to play with your team.....I feel thats what Dwight and this team needed another top 10-15 player to put us over the top....

I believe the Paul is most certainly better than meer BUT at the same time Meer fits our style of play REALLY well and has improved. That being said i would trade him for paul in a heartbeat. Paul is an assist monster not to mention he is a legit threat to score. I think it would propel D12s game way up to have a guy that is a legit assist guy. And we can get rid of VC. One thing im worried about is the fact that we may have to take Okafors contract in the deal and thats a big contract. And we will prolly have to send VC, Jameer, and Gortat. Not sure how i feel about that yet. But i do think paul is better by leaps and bounds when it comes to being a traditional PG and i think dwight needs a traditional PG to help his game.

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

But what's a 5-6 PG in the league to you? I mean, how far would Paul's game have to drop in order to be below Rose, Rondo, Westbrook, etc?

According to last year's stats:

CP3 - 18.7ppg, 10.7ast, 4.2reb, 2.1stl

Rose - 20.8ppg, 6.0ast, 3.8reb, .8stl

Westbrook - 16.1ppg, 8.0apg, 4.9reb, 1.3stl

Rondo - 13.7ppg, 9.8ast, 4.4reb, 2.3stl

2009 PER:

CP3 - 30.04

Rose - 16.05

Westbrook - 15.20

Rondo - 18.90

2010 PER:

CP3 - 23.74 (21% decline)

Rose - 18.69 (16% increase)

Westbrook - 17.9 (18% increase)

Rondo - 19.18 (2% increase)

Trending to 2011:

CP3 - 18.76

Rose - 21.68

Westbrook - 21.12

Rondo - 19.56

Obviously it is not quite that easy. CP3 could experience a resurgence. He could find himself in a more competitive situation, on a better team, with better coaching and components around him. The other three players could experience injury setbacks, etc. But regardless, I sure don't think it's a tremendous stretch to hypothesize that any one of the three best young PGs in the league could very soon overtake Paul as the best PG in the league.

Rose isn't nearly the passer Paul is. Rondo isn't nearly the shooter Paul is. Westbrook is still figuring everything out.

All three are dynamite. But nowhere near on the level of Paul. I don't care what PER tells us.

Also, CP3 was injured much of the year. Isn't it silly to use his decreased stats as evidence?

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

Obviously it is not quite that easy. CP3 could experience a resurgence. He could find himself in a more competitive situation, on a better team, with better coaching and components around him. The other three players could experience injury setbacks, etc. But regardless, I sure don't think it's a tremendous stretch to hypothesize that any one of the three best young PGs in the league could very soon overtake Paul as the best PG in the league.

I agree. I do not think there is a definitive number one point guard in the league. Paul's numbers may point him in the direction as the de facto leader, but I tend to use the term "top 3 PG". Why? Because at any given moment, they (Paul, Rose, and Rondo) have the capability to take over a game and match the level of play of each other.

With that said, Paul's court vision and distributing properties alone can significantly change the outcome of a game. Couple that with his scoring ability and I give you a better player than Jameer Nelson.

Paul's October numbers (2 games so...) 29.5 ppg 6.5 assists per game

paul's November numbers (8 games before injury) 22.6 ppg 9.9 apg 3.9 rpg 1.5 topg. 2.1 spg 58.4 fg% 61.5 3pt%!!!!!

December (12 games coming back from injury) 17ppg 11.8 apg 2.8 topg 5.6 rpg 46 fg% 26.7% 3pt% 2.5 spg

January (16 games. finally hitting 100% again) 20.8ppg 11.9 apg 4.6 rpg 2.4 spg. 48.4 fg% 27.7 3pt%.

more injuries. out until late march.

If we get paul and he regresses to 17ppg 10 apg 3.5 rpg 2 spg 47% fg% 38% three pt % he'd still be worth it.

Why? Because he's always dangerous for a 40 point game (like on november 4th) or a 19 assist 9 rebound game (december 18th)

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Also, CP3 was injured much of the year. Isn't it silly to use his decreased stats as evidence?

No, because that was the point of the original question. Which was - What if Chris Paul is no longer the dynamic, super specimen he was during the first 4 years of his career, and instead is now prone to injury and a step slower?

Losing a step and missing half a season are 2 different things. The guy could be 90% for the rest of his career and still be the best PG in the league. His stat decrease reflects him missing games.

Did Wade drop off after his injuries? Did Amare? All those guys came back even stronger statistically.

What I'm saying is, I get your concern. But this isn't Grant Hill. This isn't even Jameer Nelson.

78, 64, 80, 78, and then 45 is not a concern. Especially not at the age of 25. Especially when you're an all worldly talent.

CP3 is far superior to Nelson and its not even close.

Nelson is a better 3 pt shooter, but Mike Miller is also a better 3 pt shooter than Dwayne Wade..

I dont think recent Magic fans really understand what a true point guard who gets others involved and makes OTHERS better can do for a team. Not saying paul is the best passer in the league, he is a great one tho, but he does work to get his teammates involved and find them at the right times. Now add his defensive ability, his quickness and just straight up superiority to every other point guard not named Deron Williams and youve got a far better team if it were as easy to swap CP3 for Nelson.

And if you havnt seen CP3's ability to run pick n roll offense, its top notch.

This is an unfortunate situation for Jameer. He is a good player, it just so happens that Chris Paul is a generational player. Its like comparing Dwight to Marcin. Marcin is a very good center in this league, but compared to Dwight...?