Sign in to follow this  
iTs JUST zo

How much worse is Nelson than CP3?

Okay, so we retain JJ because he is part of our DNA for a championship contender team.....but we willingly give away Jameer, who was one of the best players in our 2010 playoff run???

I'm sure Paul is amazing and probably a better all around player but Jameer has proven that when healthy he is a great point guard fit on this team. If court vision and ball distribution he lacks, what makes us think he can't get better? Is it because of his age? Has he not improved? Are those things natural and no real way to improve them?

I know people look at Jameer's assist and realize that he's not up there with the "elite" guards but with the hockey assist that Orlando has, I'm not surprised that he doesn't average 8+ assist in the '09-'10 season. Even Dwight Howard who gets double teamed and kick the ball out for 3s only averages 1.8 assist this past season ( http://www.basketball-referenc...ers/h/howardw01.html ) and that was when we were shooting about 27-3pointers a game, and I'm pretty sure that more than half of those 3s were assisted.

Jameer is a leader, he's a great shooter and most importantly he can create his own shots and a clutch shooter, which was what we were missing in the Boston series.

Some here wants to get rid of Jameer and Carter, but realize this both of these guys are clutch shooters and can create their own shots, we either trade one or the other (if we must Frowner) but we don't trade both unless we get a guy or two with those exact skills and more.

I don't know about you, but I'm not sure how the chemistry will work out if we do obtain Paul...because, I think, that's the most important part of a championship caliber team. But with all seriousness, I say give Jameer a full season of being healthy (let us pray) and allow him one more run at the playoffs, I think he'll be better than what some of us think, instead of running to what we consider "greener pastures."

I really do think it's a testament to how much Nelson has meant to this team that the idea of switching him for CP3 does actually make us stop and think about it.

Sure you still do the trade. But just the meer thought of letting him go and seeing him another jersey hits home. It shows how Nelson has really become someone that this fanbase is behind now.

@Dreamingincolors

In one sense, I completely understand where you're coming from. Meer had a good postseason and really picked up his game closer to where he was before his shoulder injury. But what Jameer does well, Chris does better. I don't like giving away a player we've drafted that has turned into such a solid, borderline allstar. But if we can obtain a perennial allstar, we have to do it. The comparison I like to make is lets say you have Joe Johnson (before his max deal) and Kobe becomes available. Who would you rather have on your team?

As far as having a player who can create for this team. Chris does it better than anyone in the game. He knows how to set up his team for success and gets players in positions to do their best. On a team that is set up with so many shooters, a great passer like Chris would be a huge boost for this offense. How many times have you watched a game and an open shooter was overlooked because Meer couldn't see him? That doesn't happen with Chris.

But a go to scorer has me thinking. This is where the type of trade would come into play. Originally I was all for Meer+VC for Paul+Okafor. But the more I think about it, the more I would like us to try and make this move without giving up VC (and his contract). Cp3 won't put the jump back in Vince's legs but he would be a good complement and if it doesn't work, we can still move him at the deadline.

quote:
Originally posted by ucfknights22:

@Dreamingincolors

In one sense, I completely understand where you're coming from. Meer had a good postseason and really picked up his game closer to where he was before his shoulder injury. But what Jameer does well, Chris does better. I don't like giving away a player we've drafted that has turned into such a solid, borderline allstar. But if we can obtain a perennial allstar, we have to do it. The comparison I like to make is lets say you have Joe Johnson (before his max deal) and Kobe becomes available. Who would you rather have on your team?

As far as having a player who can create for this team. Chris does it better than anyone in the game. He knows how to set up his team for success and gets players in positions to do their best. On a team that is set up with so many shooters, a great passer like Chris would be a huge boost for this offense. How many times have you watched a game and an open shooter was overlooked because Meer couldn't see him? That doesn't happen with Chris.

But a go to scorer has me thinking. This is where the type of trade would come into play. Originally I was all for Meer+VC for Paul+Okafor. But the more I think about it, the more I would like us to try and make this move without giving up VC (and his contract). Cp3 won't put the jump back in Vince's legs but he would be a good complement and if it doesn't work, we can still move him at the deadline.

I agree with everyhting you said execpt about VC. If we dump VC then I feel we give JJ the oppertunity to start and I feel with a JJ/D12/CP3 combo we would be moveing the ball so smoothly.

The question is, who to back up JJ?

Lets make this one easy...In the history of the nba there are only two players to have a better points and assists average in their first five seasons. Oscar Robinson and Isiah Thomas...hall of famers. Does that answer your question?

quote:
Originally posted by magic berto:

quote:
Originally posted by Chase:

The question is, who to back up JJ?

Air-ball France.

ba dum tish

We won't give up Meer for CP3, you can guarantee that. Why would we give up our heart of the team for a guy that doesn't even want to stay on his own team?

There's no arguing CP3's a better PG, but who's a better player? That's quite an argument.

Chris Paul used to make Tyson Chandler look like a beast on pick and rolls. I can only imagine how good Dwight would look running the pick and roll with CP3.

Jameers isn't a great point guard, he's a great scorer. He'd be better as a spark plug off the bench, more like ben gordon used to be with the bulls.

quote:
Originally posted by mongoose:

We won't give up Meer for CP3, you can guarantee that. Why would we give up our heart of the team for a guy that doesn't even want to stay on his own team?

There's no arguing CP3's a better PG, but who's a better player? That's quite an argument.

It really isn't.