Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

For those think Q. Rich's defense is as good as Barnes witness Mr. Hollinger(Insider)

Highly respected writer...even from SVG.

quote:

Richardson inks with Magic

On the same day the Heat nabbed Haslem and Miller, Miami's top rival for Eastern supremacy added one of their leftovers by signing Quentin Richardson to a multiyear deal worth a reported $7.5 million-$8 million. Richardson can hit 3s from the corner, which makes him a good fit in Orlando's system, and he's a good team defender who loves to take charges.

He's slow as molasses, however, and can't be counted on to be the on-ball stopper that Matt Barnes was a year ago. I presume the Magic will promote Mickael Pietrus into that role and bring Richardson off the bench. Nonetheless, it was a good save after Barnes reportedly turned down the same offer; once they match J.J. Redick's offer sheet, it should more or less wrap up Orlando's offseason.

Slow as molasses, huh John???...Thanks for the take.

As I said on another thread...not sure about the money issues or how much Barnes is gonna get this summer...but put me in the camp of thinking it's a mistake...especially with the tude and effort Matt Barnes gave.

Defense wins Championships!!!

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba...reeagentmoves-100713

it was my understanding that we offered Matt the most we could possibly give him. Then when he refused we went after Q.

but yeah, totally different role.

So, you think it was a mistake not to acquire a better backup point guard and match JJ's offer in order to keep Barnes? I'm pretty sure most people here would agree that Barnes is the better player, but not for the money he seems to be after. Signing Barnes to most of the MLE would've made us unable to sign a decent backup PG and would probably have meant not matching for JJ.

Pietrus can play the good on-ball defense that we will need from that position. I kind of wish we still had Courtney Lee, but not if we get Arenas for Carter.

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

So, you think it was a mistake not to acquire a better backup point guard and match JJ's offer in order to keep Barnes? I'm pretty sure most people here would agree that Barnes is the better player, but not for the money he seems to be after. Signing Barnes to most of the MLE would've made us unable to sign a decent backup PG and would probably have meant not matching for JJ.

Exactly, you have to take the bad with the good. We're weaker at SF than last year, but we're a stronger overall team than last year.

He also points out that he is a good team defender, and adept at taking charges. We have Peaches who can take over guarding the fast/athletic ball handlers.

As I said in the other thread where you brought this up, the team valued JJ over Barnes, and Q-Rich brings a similar attitude as Barnes at a much reduced (reportedly the same as what Orlando offered Barnes and he refused) price.

On a direct 1:1 comparison to Barnes, he is not quite as good in defense, but a slight upgrade on the offensive end.

Im not a GM...but I know everyone knows about the correlation between defense and winning championships.

You guys tell me...as currently constructed(roster) without Matt Barnes will our defense be better or worse next season?

quote:
Originally posted by echo4papa:

He also points out that he is a good team defender, and adept at taking charges. We have Peaches who can take over guarding the fast/athletic ball handlers.

As I said in the other thread where you brought this up, the team valued JJ over Barnes, and Q-Rich brings a similar attitude as Barnes at a much reduced (reportedly the same as what Orlando offered Barnes and he refused) price.

On a direct 1:1 comparison to Barnes, he is not quite as good in defense, but a slight upgrade on the offensive end.

i think it's interesting how management is placing heavy emphasis on how players performed against boston. williams and barnes are gone because of that series. Potentially Carter and gortat as well.

Better. Duhon will upgrade the defense at his position, and you know Dwight is going to be every bit as dominant, and even more effective on the defensive end.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

Im not a GM...but I know everyone knows about the correlation between defense and winning championships.

You guys tell me...as currently constructed(roster) without Matt Barnes will our defense be better or worse next season?

Probably around the same. Duhon is a significantly better defender than Jason Williams.

Oh, and defense isn't everything. You go ask the Bobcats how playing the best defense in the NBA worked out for them.

excellent statistical breakdown of the two different players Hollinger...err, oh an opinion...regardless, what moron said Q-Rich was equal to or near the same defender that Barnes is/was?

here's a novel idea though, maybe once it became apparent that we weren't going to be able to bring Barnes back, Otis decided to grab Q-Rich, as, offensively he's a much better fit than Barnes was for our system?

our defensive production will most likely have a negligible difference this season from last, unless we pickup another career defender along the way - to which I doubt.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

i think our defense will always be top 5 because of dwight alone. now we have duhon who can defend point guards.

Hopefully stanley robinson can earn himself some playtime as he could be a barnes type player