Sign in to follow this  
patport21

BREAKING: Matt Barnes to Lakers (PG. 16)

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

quote:
@PDcavsinsider Raptors already used majority of mid-level on Linas Kleiza. In Raptors can't pull deal off w/ORL Barnes could re-consider Cavs offer.

http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

hahahahaha these ****ing idiots.

Sources can't get their **** straight, this is playing out like our cp3 thread lol.

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
Originally posted by Noonskadoodle17:

wow what a loser

Why, because he actually wanted to receive one decent paycheck before his knees went out on him? He opted out to make more money and that's what he is going to do. Why should I begrudge him a decent sized salary after working his tail off to get where he is now?

I swear, posts like yours make me ashamed to be a sports fan. We are a bunch of ungrateful jerks.

Exactly.. We should all be happy for Barnes. The dude hasn't really gotten paid for his effort since hes been in the league. I'm really happy for him and I appreciate what he did here as a Magic.

edit: well I guess the deal isn't final yet.. Either way, Matt is very deserving of a decent payday from some team.

quote:
Originally posted by JRam027:

quote:
Originally posted by Nyce_1:

quote:
@PDcavsinsider Raptors already used majority of mid-level on Linas Kleiza. In Raptors can't pull deal off w/ORL Barnes could re-consider Cavs offer.

http://twitter.com/PDcavsinsider

hahahahaha these ****ing idiots.

Sources can't get their **** straight, this is playing out like our cp3 thread lol.

Are you suggesting this become the new CP3 thread?

quote:

79. Can a free agent be signed and immediately traded?

Under no circumstances can a team sign and then trade another team's free agent. But there is a rule that allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes, called the sign-and-trade rule. Under the sign-and-trade rule, the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract which stipulates that the contract is invalid if the player's rights are not traded to the specific team within 48 hours.

A sign-and-trade deal can be made even with players who have been renounced, but cannot be made when the player is signed using the Mid-Level, Bi-Annual or Disabled Player exceptions. Sign-and-trade contracts must be for three years or longer, but only the first season of the contract must be guaranteed. The three year minimum (even though the last two seasons may be non-guaranteed) ensures that the new team will not acquire Bird rights to the player any sooner than if they had signed him directly, because they would have to waive him, after which they wouldn't be able to use Bird rights (see question number 26).

One complication with sign-and-trade deals is that the signed player can immediately become a BYC player (see question number 76 for more information on BYC), so the player's BYC value must be used when determining whether the trade is allowed.

If a sign-and-trade contract contains a signing bonus, then either team can pay it. By default the team that signs the player pays the signing bonus (as with any other contract), but since a sign-and-trade is in essence a contract with the receiving team, the teams can agree that the receiving team will pay it. However, any portion that is paid by the signing team counts toward the $3 million limit for cash included in a trade (which in effect limits the portion of a signing bonus that can be paid by the signing team to $3 million).

If a sign-and-trade contract contains a trade bonus, then the bonus is not earned upon the trade that accompanies the signing, but rather on the first subsequent trade.

See question number 83 for more information on how long a team must wait after signing a contract before they can trade a player.

Sounds like something could be worked out

Now it's looking like Toronto has made fools of themselves.

Well, hopefully he goes to Cleveland or another non contending team instead of going to the Lakers, Celtics, or Heat.

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

Now it's looking like Toronto has made fools of themselves.

Well, hopefully he goes to Cleveland or another non contending team instead of going to the Lakers, Celtics, or Heat.

If i had to choose one of the above I hope Lakers.

They can't offer anything near 2/9mil though so idk.

quote:
Originally posted by NickAnderson:

quote:

Under no circumstances can a team sign and then trade another team's free agent. But there is a rule that allows teams to re-sign their own free agents for trading purposes, called the sign-and-trade rule. Under the sign-and-trade rule, the player is re-signed and immediately traded to another team. This is done by adding a clause to the contract which stipulates that the contract is invalid if the player's rights are not traded to the specific team within 48 hours.

A sign-and-trade deal can be made even with players who have been renounced, but cannot be made when the player is signed using the Mid-Level, Bi-Annual or Disabled Player exceptions. Sign-and-trade contracts must be for three years or longer, but only the first season of the contract must be guaranteed. The three year minimum (even though the last two seasons may be non-guaranteed) ensures that the new team will not acquire Bird rights to the player any sooner than if they had signed him directly, because they would have to waive him, after which they wouldn't be able to use Bird rights (see question number 26).

One complication with sign-and-trade deals is that the signed player can immediately become a BYC player (see question number 76 for more information on BYC), so the player's BYC value must be used when determining whether the trade is allowed.

If a sign-and-trade contract contains a signing bonus, then either team can pay it. By default the team that signs the player pays the signing bonus (as with any other contract), but since a sign-and-trade is in essence a contract with the receiving team, the teams can agree that the receiving team will pay it. However, any portion that is paid by the signing team counts toward the $3 million limit for cash included in a trade (which in effect limits the portion of a signing bonus that can be paid by the signing team to $3 million).

If a sign-and-trade contract contains a trade bonus, then the bonus is not earned upon the trade that accompanies the signing, but rather on the first subsequent trade.

See question number 83 for more information on how long a team must wait after signing a contract before they can trade a player.

Problem is. We can't sign Barnes without using any of those. We don't own his bird rights so we can't go over the cap to sign Barnes to the deal Toronto is giving him and trade him.

I am beyond confused. Hopefully this will be straightened out in the morning.

quote:
Originally posted by NickAnderson:

quote:

Not really. The bolded part will explain why this can't happen. Since we do not own Barnes' rights, we would've had to use the MLE, BAE, or vet min to sign him. Player rights are earned after consecutive seasons with the same team.

It's most likely a bunch of BS, and I have no idea how it would work.

BUT, it's been passed around so I'm just passing it here.

Gortat/Barnes to Toronto

Calderon to Indiana

Murphy to Orlando

I'd cry tears of joy.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Gortat/Barnes to Toronto

Calderon to Indiana

Murphy to Orlando

I'd cry tears of joy.

I think Troy Murphy would be an awesome fit for this team. But someone else needs to be traded. There is going to be a logjam for minutes at both forward spots.

quote:
Originally posted by Jareth Cutestory:

Gortat/Barnes to Toronto

Calderon to Indiana

Murphy to Orlando

I'd cry tears of joy.

so we'd have 1 C and 4 PFs? lol