Sign in to follow this  
InsideoutO

My "Who they should play like" Magic Breakdown

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Question: How does moving Gortat help Anderson?

Jameer: Needs to push the ball & attack basket consistently, end of story.

I'm sure Dwight is salivating over the prospect

of Ryan Anderson & JJ Redick in the starting lineup...

Take off the blinders. Isn't this the same fan base that mocked LeBron's supporting cast in Cleveland for 2 years & correctly predicted their playoff limitations? The same fan base questioning Miami's superiority over Orlando because Mario Chalmers & Udonis Haslem are currently penciled in to join their 3 franchise players in the starting lineup?

But, two players w/blatant matchup problems vs. elite players/teams and zero defensive versatility magically maintain Orlando as a legitimate championship contender?

I think you'd have to ignore defense all together as OP did to even begin to think this is realistic.

Every weakness that has been exploited by opponents for 3 seasons in the playoffs would be exponentially worse with a starting lineup of Anderson-Lewis-Redick-Nelson. JJ can't stay on the court against the likes of S-Jax & Joe Johnson. Anderson can't play against Boston because he's a liability. Solution, make them starters???

This unit is weaker defensively, has less defensive versatility, less ability to create off the bounce, & less athleticism. Promising...

gortat did play a lot of pf in the playoffs. I did not like him their but him not playing gives ra more mins.

Lewis on the post vs sf is underrated. He will kill a lot of teams there.

I'm really not a fan of starting both Shard and Anderson, I'd rather see Bass start at the 4. I think Bass provides good energy, toughness and nice mid range game.

If the Magic are going to put Lewis at SF they're going to have to put Bass/Gortat at PF. Anderson isn't good enough to cover his own *** most of the times, let alone Shard's.

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

If the Magic are going to put Lewis at SF they're going to have to put Bass/Gortat at PF. Anderson isn't good enough to cover his own *** most of the times, let alone Shard's.

Come on, Bass is worse in rotations, a worse rebounder, and doesn't provide spacing for Dwight. He's also every bit the chucker Anderson is. And Gortat at PF is a case study in uselessness offensively.

Ryan's effectiveness when playing with Dwight goes up exponentially when compared to playing with Gortat as well.

quote:
Originally posted by magicfan83:

quote:

Come on, Bass is worse in rotations, a worse rebounder, and doesn't provide spacing for Dwight. He's also every bit the chucker Anderson is. And Gortat at PF is a case study in uselessness offensively.

Ryan's effectiveness when playing with Dwight goes up exponentially when compared to playing with Gortat as well.

how on earth does bass not provide enough spacing for dwight?

quote:

quote:

I meant to clog the lanes, since I fully expect Lewis to get burned by guys like LeBron/Iggy/Gay

quote:

quote:

quote:

I meant to clog the lanes, since I fully expect Lewis to get burned by guys like LeBron/Iggy/Gay

Everyone except Lebron and Melo are going to have just as much trouble with Lewis on the other end. With Dwight backing him up when there is penetration, we need someone who knows the rotations.

Also, putting Lewis at SF doesn't exactly mean he won't get any minutes at PF. In games where it is actually a problem, Pietrus would get big minutes at SF.

quote:

Everyone except Lebron and Melo are going to have just as much trouble with Lewis on the other end. With Dwight backing him up when there is penetration, we need someone who knows the rotations.

Also, putting Lewis at SF doesn't exactly mean he won't get any minutes at PF. In games where it is actually a problem, Pietrus would get big minutes at SF.

Honestly, I just don't want to see the Great White Shard getting minutes at PF. I'm still mad at him for sucking so bad at the end of the year smile_svgsad.png

but in all honesty, with Lewis at SF, I still think our PF has to be able to help out Dwight and take fouls. While I did say Gortat, offensively it would look ugly. And while Bass has the athleticism to help on the weak side, his rotations and bad spacing offensively make a grown man cry.

Why can't we just sign Dirk smile_svgsad.png

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

Question: How does moving Gortat help Anderson?

Jameer: Needs to push the ball & attack basket consistently, end of story.

I'm sure Dwight is salivating over the prospect

of Ryan Anderson & JJ Redick in the starting lineup...

Take off the blinders. Isn't this the same fan base that mocked LeBron's supporting cast in Cleveland for 2 years & correctly predicted their playoff limitations? The same fan base questioning Miami's superiority over Orlando because Mario Chalmers & Udonis Haslem are currently penciled in to join their 3 franchise players in the starting lineup?

But, two players w/blatant matchup problems vs. elite players/teams and zero defensive versatility magically maintain Orlando as a legitimate championship contender?

I think you'd have to ignore defense all together as OP did to even begin to think this is realistic.

Every weakness that has been exploited by opponents for 3 seasons in the playoffs would be exponentially worse with a starting lineup of Anderson-Lewis-Redick-Nelson. JJ can't stay on the court against the likes of S-Jax & Joe Johnson. Anderson can't play against Boston because he's a liability. Solution, make them starters???

This unit is weaker defensively, has less defensive versatility, less ability to create off the bounce, & less athleticism. Promising...

In no way am I saying we dont need to make moves, I see guys like you who take the little bit of minutes and GP and take it as the end all be all of what a player stands to do performance wise. As I mentioned above Bass has his places where he will be the better call(i.e. Boston, certain laker lineups, ect)

The difference between our supporting cast and Clevelands is huge. Cleveland had no identity on either end of the court outside of "get lebron the ball and let him score or get someone open" on offense. The same can be said on the defensive end. Our role players are just that, players that fit a role of a specific set and style that this team is built around. O yeah, Ryan Anderson is the ripe old age of 22 and J.J. is a spot up shoot who is only 26 and has just started to see his potential opened up.

Obviously you didnt even begin to think when you put this reply together attacking something that wasnt even the point of my OP. With the roster we currently have these are the guys I feel are strongest within SVG's system. I guess you forgot the fact that last year and the year before that and the year before that the bulk of our wing defense in our starting lineup played matador defense. Seeing as how I havent gotten past the first guy I analyze on our bench you jump to the conclusion that I dont think defense is important. On the contrary I know how our defensive scheme works and I do believe RA with a few pounds put on and the nature progression the body still takes at the age of 22 will offer more of a defensive threat then Rashard offered at the 4. As far as bigger more physical teams as I addressed in an above post we have Brandon Bass, a physical banger who brings another shotblocking presence to the low post. I have yet to address MP who I feel has been given a bit of the shaft since Barnes took most of the defensive thunder. When we go up against teams who like Miami, LA, ect we will see more of pietrus at the 2 and 3 covering the other teams best offensive wing.

that was a valiant attempt at a flame tho, you should prolly wait until the post is thru or attack the point im making in my latest post before you start flaming off on something that I wasnt even focusing on in the first place.

Again the title is, My, "Who they should play like" Magic Breakdown. Its my analysis of what I think the guys we have should be focused on working on. Seeing as our defense has worked with weak wing defenders as starters since D12 came to this team I feel pretty sure that thru rotation and our style of play the above 5 are our current best to be starting 5. Depending on situations we are lucky enough to have a bench that offers a solid wing and low post defender as well as other good role players who can fill in certain, "when needed" scenerios.

Thanks for trying tho Kitno. Glad to see your the same guy you were 3-4 years ago.

quote:
Originally posted by Debonair:

quote:
PG/Jameer Nelson - Meer is doing what he should be

stopped reading after that.

What should Meer be doing that he is capable of doing but isnt? I know he isnt the perfect PG for this system but I think for what he is he does exactly what are his strong points. He just needs to tighten up on what he is already doing. I dont see how changing his game with his build and ability would help anything.

quote:
Originally posted by InsideoutO:

quote:
Originally posted by Debonair:

quote:
PG/Jameer Nelson - Meer is doing what he should be

stopped reading after that.

What should Meer be doing that he is capable of doing but isnt? I know he isnt the perfect PG for this system but I think for what he is he does exactly what are his strong points. He just needs to tighten up on what he is already doing. I dont see how changing his game with his build and ability would help anything.

Don't even bother... debonair isn't even a real person, he's just everything irrational and illogical that has been posted on this board, channeled to that username. Just add him to your ignore list and pretend he doesn't even exist.