Sign in to follow this  
swarlesbarkley

Trying to Remember Shaq's Departure

Hey all!

I'm trying to remember how Shaq ditched us in 1996. But I don't remember much of the media response or Orlando reaction since I was 12 years old and I lived in Wisconsin.

How did it all go down? Did he give us any warning? Was it as crappy as Lebron's?

Thanks!

(If this needs to go into a different topic - feel free to move this, mods)

Its hard to speculate at this point, but if Lebron doesnt take a S&T then I would agree that this is bigger than the SHAQparture.

That is saying a lot because the Shaq incident will go down in history as one of the biggest impact moves in sports.

Lebron being a hometown product adds another dimension to their pain.

it was painfull, but this was way worse. It was during the Atlanta games, and I remember Charles Barkely commenting that he was going to leave because the fans didnt respect him enough. A Orlando Sentinel poll showed that most fans didnt think he was worth the contract he Lakers were offering (how stupid the fans were). Anyway, the difference was we still had the 2nd coming of Jordan, Penny Hardaway on the team. Everyone really thought that at the time. That softened the blow. The Cavs have nothing like that. Plus he was a hometown hero. Plus he waterboarded the entire city for a week before humilating them on national TV. This is 1000 x worse.

quote:
Originally posted by djmase20:

Plus he waterboarded the entire city for a week before humilating them on national TV. This is 1000 x worse.

+1

quote:
Originally posted by djmase20:

it was painfull, but this was way worse. It was during the Atlanta games, and I remember Charles Barkely commenting that he was going to leave because the fans didnt respect him enough. A Orlando Sentinel poll showed that most fans didnt think he was worth the contract he Lakers were offering (how stupid the fans were). Anyway, the difference was we still had the 2nd coming of Jordan, Penny Hardaway on the team. Everyone really thought that at the time. That softened the blow. The Cavs have nothing like that. Plus he was a hometown hero. Plus he waterboarded the entire city for a week before humilating them on national TV. This is 1000 x worse.

the wording of that question was poor. Is shaq worth 100 million dollars (something like that). People could then say " no athlete is worth 1 million dollars, let alone 100 million" they voted no. It appeared that people didn't want Shaq here but its really misinformation.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

the wording of that question was poor. Is shaq worth 100 million dollars (something like that). People could then say " no athlete is worth 1 million dollars, let alone 100 million" they voted no. It appeared that people didn't want Shaq here but its really misinformation.

This.

Also, another common misconception is that the Lakers offered him more money. No, they only offered him more years. The Laker contract was 7 years and over 100 million, but there was an opt-out after four years (which Shaq ended up using). The Magic's contract offer was for more money over the first four years, with a similar opt-out clause.

Look both guys dissed their clubs in a horrible way...Lebron being the ultimate skrew job but as for talent lost Lebron isn't anywhere near Shaq. Lebron would have to win 5 titles in his 6 year deal for the Heat to equal what the Magic lost. Shaq was a once in 40 years big man....it still hurts today.

quote:
Originally posted by the notorious S.A.C.:

Look both guys dissed their clubs in a horrible way...Lebron being the ultimate skrew job but as for talent lost Lebron isn't anywhere near Shaq. Lebron would have to win 5 titles in his 6 year deal for the Heat to equal what the Magic lost. Shaq was a once in 40 years big man....it still hurts today.

It does still hurt and I still think of what could have been.