Sign in to follow this  
SolidSn/\ke007

Shard at the SF

This is my first thread and it may be a dumb one so Mods feel free to lock at your discretion....Trying to switch gears from the whole Free Agency thing i got to know how do you guys really feel about the possible move with Shard at the SF position? I was surfing the net and came across a Vid of Rashard's Best Statistical game as a Pro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...ture=player_embedded

I know that was a long time ago but in the vid i noticed that he got basically all his points off post-up situations and Mid-Range Jumpers and he wasn't jacking up a ton of 3's....Is it far-fetched to think that he can't make those same kind of shots if used in a similar way? Back then he was Rail thin he's still skinny now but he has more beef on him to post up those smaller Sf....that's my take what do you guys think?

Is he really gonna have so huge advantage in the post over players like Melo, LeBron, Pierce, Artest ? I don't think so, and how much huge speed and quickness advantage they will have over Rashard ? Defensive nightmare.

He has more beef but he's older and slower, he forget how it is to guard players quicker than him, spend more times on perimeter, chase through screens.

Also it would be a huge change of system in Orlando, throwing away inside-out game, limiting Dwight offensively a little bit. Pretty big thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Leoben:

Is he really gonna have so huge advantage in the post over players like Melo, LeBron, Pierce, Artest ? I don't think so, and how much huge speed and quickness advantage they will have over Rashard ? Defensive nightmare.

He has more beef but he's older and slower, he forget how it is to guard players quicker than him, spend more times on perimeter, chase through screens.

Also it would be a huge change of system in Orlando, throwing away inside-out game, limiting Dwight offensively a little bit. Pretty big thing.

BTW, Lewis killed paul in the post, during the playoffs. scored like 10 straight point on him. It was the game were players got concussions and perkins got kicked out. Boston was forced to play paul at 4 and he got it handed to him.

there are not very many sf that can check lewis in the post. If you notice, in the youtub vid, corey meggetty is on lewis and his is a strong guy. There are only two sf that I see giving lewis issues on offense: James and Artest.

I think lewis can be a go to guy. SVG does not use him to his fullest. This has to be my biggest problem with SVG. He has one of the most versatile players in the game and only uses him at one position-- PF. I think lewis should have play some sf vs boston. He would have killed paul like he did in that game I stated earlier.

Its up to SVG to make the calls and give lewis the ball. I think lewis should have played sf a lot more. He does not have to start at sf but he needs to be used there and given the ball.

That is why he is paid 120 mil.

But Magic don't have to many ways to use him as a SF.

Bring Anderson and SF will guard him, Shard gets PFs. Take Bass and with Dwight it's starting to get to crowded inside for Lewis to play post ups and closer to basket (and stronger SF like these guy's could also try to guard Bass).

And again I think it would cause more problems on defensive end than advantages on offense against teams with stronger and more dangerous SFs. Can't imagine it as a more permanent thing.

BTW I don't think that bringing a star PF is possible. Like Bosh, Booze, Amare or even Lee calibers, some people want Shard playing SF becouse of this. Magic don't have assets attractive enough for S&T.

quote:

But Magic don't have to much ways to use him as a SF.

Bring Anderson and SF will guard him, Shard gets PFs. Take Bass and there is to much of it already inside with him and Dwight together (and stronger SF like these guy's could also try to guard Bass)

And again I think it would cause more problem on defensive end than advantages on offense against team with stronger and more dangerous SFs(and they all are/will be on contenders teams). Can't imagine it as a more permanent thing.

I don't think that bringing a star PF is possible. Like Bosh, Booze, Amare or even Lee calibers. Magic don't have assets attractive enough for S&T.

everything about this is wrong

quote:

But Magic don't have to much ways to use him as a SF.

Bring Anderson and SF will guard him, Shard gets PFs. Take Bass and there is to much of it already inside with him and Dwight together (and stronger SF like these guy's could also try to guard Bass)

And again I think it would cause more problem on defensive end than advantages on offense against team with stronger and more dangerous SFs(and they all are/will be on contenders teams). Can't imagine it as a more permanent thing.

I don't think that bringing a star PF is possible. Like Bosh, Booze, Amare or even Lee calibers. Magic don't have assets attractive enough for S&T.

melo, james, and danny (he stands and shoots a lot)are the only real scoring sf... I dont understand the talk that lewis can't guard a lot of sf... iggy is the only other one that comes to mind and he's not a good shooter. Name the magnitude of sfs that will hurt us?

BTW, anderson and bass guarded by a sf will kill on the glass, plus they both have pretty go low post/ isolation games them selves. The problem is we dont try to play that style for long stretches. When Howard is on the bench, would be ideal-- feature lewis down low.

quote:
Originally posted by Blackhennie:

quote:

BTW, Lewis killed paul in the post, during the playoffs. scored like 10 straight point on him. It was the game were players got concussions and perkins got kicked out. Boston was forced to play paul at 4 and he got it handed to him.

there are not very many sf that can check lewis in the post. If you notice, in the youtub vid, corey meggetty is on lewis and his is a strong guy. There are only two sf that I see giving lewis issues on offense: James and Artest.

I think lewis can be a go to guy. SVG does not use him to his fullest. This has to be my biggest problem with SVG. He has one of the most versatile players in the game and only uses him at one position-- PF. I think lewis should have play some sf vs boston. He would have killed paul like he did in that game I stated earlier.

Its up to SVG to make the calls and give lewis the ball. I think lewis should have played sf a lot more. He does not have to start at sf but he needs to be used there and given the ball.

completely understand the critcism here, but you also have to realize his production at the sf vs the pf with howard posting up. in the celtics series, lewis should have had more sf minutes (whether it was because he didn't have the strength to play long or brandon bass/anderson being crap against garnett; i don't know).

however, when howard dominates his match up, i find him more valuable at the 4.

quote:

quote:

Very frustrating. What pushed the Magic through the playoffs in 08-09? SVG discovering Lewis was a weapon in the post & making a commitment to Dwight on the offensive end.

Soon as 09-10 starts, amnesia.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

quote:

Very frustrating. What pushed the Magic through the playoffs in 08-09? SVG discovering Lewis was a weapon in the post & making a commitment to Dwight on the offensive end.

Soon as 09-10 starts, amnesia.

Thats Gundy for ya, Yeah it awesome how far the magic have come with him coach. But does he have what it takes to get magic a championship. I believe not.

Lewis was awesome for the sonics when he was there, and playing Small Forward. I remember he did torch the magic for 50pts one game. He does not get used to his full potential and thats the problem.

For the guys crying defensive liability i mean come on man we started Turk at the SF position and you can't definitely say that Turk is a better Defender than Shard at any position and if he was it's marginal at best

So now people wanna criticize stan van gundy? I've been saying all along this guy and his streaky coaching isn't gonna get this team over the hill.

And the magic are pretty much stuck between a rock and a hard place with shard. his productivity isn't gonna be as great as it was. dude is now in his 30s and is becoming very inconsistent.

I say leave him at the 4 but also make him work the 3. The 4 out 1 in ain't gonna work so he's gonna have to somehow play like a traditional 4 and I don't know how that's gonna work out because he's allergic to the post and paint. he should also play the 3 and have bass work the 4 to get used to playing with dwight. the 3 spot in my opinion should be reserved for a defense minded player who doesn't require a lot of touches so you can stick em on all kobe's and wade's of the league (like what we had in barnes but younger and not so sloppy on offense)

quote:
Originally posted by raf008:

For the guys crying defensive liability i mean come on man we started Turk at the SF position and you can't definitely say that Turk is a better Defender than Shard at any position and if he was it's marginal at best

This