Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

Would you support an MLS team here in Orlando?

quote:
Originally posted by Ramsde68:

quote:
Originally posted by COLOMBIANO:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

I've never been able to watch soccer. I just don't find it interesting. Maybe I would go to a game just to see what it was like but I seriously doubt it would become something that I would repeatedly do.

I could see why it's so difficult for some people and specially Americans. You guys didn't grow with it even though most of you played soccer from 4-15. Soccer isn't a high score sport like basketball or football and watching games like the 0-0 yesterday between France and Uruguay would support the idea.

Watch the second round of the WC, the English league or the Spaniard and you'll see great clubs playing beautiful soccer.

Your right. I played striker for my high school team and I still never got into MLS. Then my dad and I did a trip to spain for the running of the bulls festival a few years back. It just so happens we were in Madrid for just one night and that one night was the Euro Cup final against Germany. It was incredible the speed and precision which Spain played at. It was the first time I ever enjoyed being a spectator.

Seeing as you seem to know the sport I got a question for you. What is your opinion of the offsides penalty. When I was in Europe and watching the Euro Cup (we were in London before Spain) I spoke to the locals and learned that many people really want that rule gone. I agree. I think it takes too much of the speed out of the game and if FIFA did away with it I feel the game would be better for it. Especially here in America.

It's a tough one and I'd say no. Offsides IMO is something the defensive team work really hard to master it and also, you don't want your striker next to the keeper by himself the entire time.

When I played in high school with out a ref there was always the argument of that annoying forward that stayed behind the defense and right next to the keeper waiting for the ball.

My dad and I were talking to a guy from England at the bar the other day about soccer. He said he thinks if we put as much money into soccer as we do into other sports we would be unstoppable, and it got me thinking about MLS. We're getting their stars to come over here when they're older like Beckham and Henry, but if we could keep our American studs here that would help a lot. Just think if Jozy Altidore was still with New York right now with them getting Henry. Just think if Gooch and Howard were still over here. With time and money and commitment from our own guys MLS could be a legit league in time.

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

My dad and I were talking to a guy from England at the bar the other day about soccer. He said he thinks if we put as much money into soccer as we do into other sports we would be unstoppable, and it got me thinking about MLS. We're getting their stars to come over here when they're older like Beckham and Henry, but if we could keep our American studs here that would help a lot. Just think if Jozy Altidore was still with New York right now with them getting Henry. Just think if Gooch and Howard were still over here. With time and money and commitment from our own guys MLS could be a legit league in time.

USA has a good team, but keeping players like Altidore or Howard here will not be enough to make the league competitive. Beckham was a dissapointment here, yet when he went back to Italy last year, he had some good games. Henry to NY? I didn't know that one, but he's pretty much done also.

What USA needs to do is invest in young players right now and keep bringing decent players from South America. Young kids will be the future if the right time and money are invested.

Let me put it this way...you have to pay here some fees so your kids can play soccer. In our countries, soccer is free and you may join a league for a very small fee which would go towards the referee.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

problem is, a population can only produce so many high tier athletes. 99% of those athletes choose football, basketball, and baseball.

Only in this country because we teach our kids to play those sports. In our countries most kids choose to play soccer, because 1. That's what daddy plays 2. That's what daddy watches and 3. That's what everyone plays and watches.

There is nothing wrong with Baseball, Football or Basketball, we soccer fans would simply like a better soccer league, but that either will never happen or it may take a few years.

Don't like the MLS so much... It would still be cool and I'd probably go to a few games, but it's hard to compare to European/Brazilian clubs (<- probably the funnest games to watch).

quote:
Originally posted by COLOMBIANO:

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

USA has a good team, but keeping players like Altidore or Howard here will not be enough to make the league competitive. Beckham was a dissapointment here, yet when he went back to Italy last year, he had some good games. Henry to NY? I didn't know that one, but he's pretty much done also.

What USA needs to do is invest in young players right now and keep bringing decent players from South America. Young kids will be the future if the right time and money are invested.

Let me put it this way...you have to pay here some fees so your kids can play soccer. In our countries, soccer is free and you may join a league for a very small fee which would go towards the referee.

It's all about perception. The general public for the most part still thinks Shaq can play basketball. Henry and Beckham can hold their spotlight here for a while. If we have any kind of success in the World Cup (quarterfinal maybe?) and we had guys like Gooch, Jozy and Howard here in America still it would be something to build off of. Keep racking in old studs in the beginning (maybe Ronaldinho will be next, he is 30 after all). You have your big names to get general fans interested.

To make a reference to pro wrestling, the WCW product was horrible, but they dominated the then WWF for almost two years straight in the ratings because they had all the old stars that fans knew and loved. Basically you could have Beckham, Henry and Ronaldinho be the MLS version of the NWO.

Over time the MLS product would become better. Soccer is already replacing baseball as far as youth sports goes. When I was growing up (I'm 22 now) everyone played baseball, even if it was just for one year. Now soccer is that sport, everyone one of our little jackasses is playing it. American soccer is going to get better based off of that alone. But when they grow up watching Donovan, Howard, Beckham, Ronaldinho, Altidore, ect in MLS it would probably give them reason enough to stay. I really think Altidore at being only 20 years old could be the guy that makes American soccer, he just needs to get back over here.