Sign in to follow this  
God hates Magic fans

Why do you want Amare so bad?

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

quote:
Originally posted by star_phenom35:

I don't see why if Amare didn't work with Shaq, then how could he possibly work with Dwight? icon_confused.gif

I don't know why this is so hard for people to comprehend. Shaq was not a good fit for that Phoenix system. Shaq in the late 90s wouldn't have been ideal for a running system. Why should anyone be surprised that it didn't work when he was in his late 30s? It had nothing to do with Amare.

That system ended up adapting to Shaq, despite all the promises that it wouldn't, and that's why they couldn't do much of anything. Once he left, they reverted back and started to look like the old Suns teams. It actually affected Nash more than anyone else who is and has been the heart of that team. Shaq being there took away some of his playmaking abilities which, in turn, affected Amare.

Said that to say that this is still knee jerk reaction. The Magic did the remodel thing last year and it blew up. Big names aren't needed, big time play-makers are. Honestly, how much different would Amare be 1) Next to Dwight who will demand the ball even more going forward. Ala Shaq. 2) Without Nash to spoon-feed him, but rather Jameer who will only defer to Dwight. And make no mistake, the announcers are right when they says some of those passes only Nash can make. Guess who's the beneficiary? 3) Is his mid-range any more dependable than Bass'? 4) Is his activity around the basket any more than Bass'? Keep in mind @ 35 mpg he tops out at 9rb per. In other words, is it worth anything other than selling some jerseys because you may have that guy right on your bench. 5) Even if he fits right in to the up tempo offense, what happens during the playoffs when the half court comes into play and the ball stops moving? Remember that?

quote:
Originally posted by MP_20:

quote:

quote:

I don't see why if Amare didn't work with Shaq, then how could he possibly work with Dwight? icon_confused.gif

I don't know why this is so hard for people to comprehend. Shaq was not a good fit for that Phoenix system. Shaq in the late 90s wouldn't have been ideal for a running system. Why should anyone be surprised that it didn't work when he was in his late 30s? It had nothing to do with Amare.

That system ended up adapting to Shaq, despite all the promises that it wouldn't, and that's why they couldn't do much of anything. Once he left, they reverted back and started to look like the old Suns teams. It actually affected Nash more than anyone else who is and has been the heart of that team. Shaq being there took away some of his playmaking abilities which, in turn, affected Amare.

Said that to say that this is still knee jerk reaction. The Magic did the remodel thing last year and it blew up at the wrong time. Honestly, how much different would Amare be 1) Next to Dwight who will demand the ball even more going forward. Ala Shaq. 2) Without Nash to spoon-feed him, but rather Jameer who will only defer to Dwight. And make no mistake, the announcers are right when they says some of those passes only Nash can make. Guess who's the beneficiary? 3) Is his mid-range any more dependable than Bass'? 4) Is his activity around the basket any more than Bass'? Keep in mind @ 35 mpg he tops out at 9rb per . In other words, is it worth anything other than selling some jerseys because you may have that guy right on your bench. 5) Even if he fits right in to the up tempo offense, what happens during the playoffs when the half court comes into play and the ball stops moving? Remember that?

And you have to factor in that Dwight is a vacuum on the glass, already averaging 13-14 rebs

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MP_20:

quote:

quote:

Said that to say that this is still knee jerk reaction. The Magic did the remodel thing last year and it blew up at the wrong time. Honestly, how much different would Amare be 1) Next to Dwight who will demand the ball even more going forward. Ala Shaq. 2) Without Nash to spoon-feed him, but rather Jameer who will only defer to Dwight. And make no mistake, the announcers are right when they says some of those passes only Nash can make. Guess who's the beneficiary? 3) Is his mid-range any more dependable than Bass'? 4) Is his activity around the basket any more than Bass'? Keep in mind @ 35 mpg he tops out at 9rb per . In other words, is it worth anything other than selling some jerseys because you may have that guy right on your bench. 5) Even if he fits right in to the up tempo offense, what happens during the playoffs when the half court comes into play and the ball stops moving? Remember that?

And you have to factor in that Dwight is a vacuum on the glass, already averaging 13-14 rebs

I understand. Dwight's a beast in Orlando. In Phoenix Amare was or should have been the main rebounder. Especially given his incredible athletic abilities. With perhaps increased opportunities at that. That's got to be a little concerning. Now think back to the games just this season that were lost because someone was too lazy to box out or go after a rebound. I can see Rondo stealing a few from him now.

Y does everyone think we need a big name guy playin the 4. All thts gonna do I clog up the lane for dwight n not give him space to use his post moves tht he's workin on this summer. My idea, move shard tot the 3 n start bass who's very capable of playin tht position. He's got a decent mid range n can put the ball on the floor. He's a hard rebounder n proly the second strongest guy next to dwight. The problem is we need a true sg. Vine was supposed to be tht missin piece n it didn't work out. Otis, make a go at rudy gay. The guy can slash to the basket, he's young, capable of droppin 30+ on top nba teams n can defend jus about every position. Make it happen

quote:
Originally posted by mlbpoz51:

Y does everyone think we need a big name guy playin the 4. All thts gonna do I clog up the lane for dwight n not give him space to use his post moves tht he's workin on this summer. My idea, move shard tot the 3 n start bass who's very capable of playin tht position. He's got a decent mid range n can put the ball on the floor. He's a hard rebounder n proly the second strongest guy next to dwight. The problem is we need a true sg. Vine was supposed to be tht missin piece n it didn't work out. Otis, make a go at rudy gay. The guy can slash to the basket, he's young, capable of droppin 30+ on top nba teams n can defend jus about every position. Make it happen

Bass posts up right in front of Dwight on the same side of the lane at times. So if ANYONE clogs up the paint for Dwight it's Bass

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

Shaq and Amare DID work. Shaq and Nash didn't.

Look at the Lakers. They have Gasol, Bynum, and Odom. Yes, Bynum has been injured, but he is a decent center. We would've really struggled to defend them. Also, consider Bosh going to Chicago next to Noah, or NJ next to Lopez, or even NY next to Lee (not sure if that is possible, but whatever).

Realistically, we would be well served to add 2 things: 1. A big that needs the defense's attention so that the PF (or even SF) can't double Dwight. 2. A more athletic and smarter defender to slow the Pierces of the world. Fact of the matter is that Pietrus and Barnes got burned by The Truth being a faker (flopper).

I thought that Barnes did rather well on Pierce. Once we finally put Barnes on Pierce, Pierce became less of a factor, because Barnes didn't fall for the pump fake / shoulder charge routine from Paulo Pierre.

Pietrus on the other hand, or Carter, sure, but I had no complaints about Barnes' D on Pierre.

Also, while I wouldn't complain over the acquisition of a Boozer or Amare, I am of the mentality that the 4 spot isn't our problem. I still believe that, even tho he's not dropping 20+ ppg, Lewis at the 4 actually is our strength, because he presents mis-match problems. It's why even tho Rashard himself might not be worth the max contract, I fully believe that having him in the starting lineup at the 4 has been one of the absolute main factors in our recent success - coincidentally enough since we signed him. It's not him that's putting up the #'s, no, but he helps space the floor for Dwight to do his thing, as well as all of our other shooters. And when his number is called, he's proven to be capable of making the big shot ('09 playoffs, and even this post-season even tho he didn't get massively involved, he hit some big time shots, particularly in Game 5 of the ECF)

I fully believe that Dwight, Lewis, and Nelson are the absolute essential key components of our team that are the reason for our recent success, and the reasons going forward why we will be a championship contender for years to come.

What we need is, as many have said, the star SG who can create his own shot when teams are able to single up Dwight, and lock down our 3 point shooters. Vince was supposed to be that guy, and wasn't. But again, the problem is, who do we get?

Considering our cap situation, and current roster and contracts, the likes of LeBron and Dwyane are impossible. Is a Joe Johnson possible? Do we even want him considering his performance in the post-season this year? Or was he a victim of circumstance, underachieving on a non-elite team, a problem that would be fixed on a legit contender?

So outside of those big 3, who do we get? Are their any mid tier guys that can provide us what we need? Even if they are "better than Vince", that doesn't mean they can give us what we need. I.E.: I love the crap out of Courtney Lee, and wish he was still here, and yes would have been better than Vince. But he's still not that guy we needed, and I don't think would have changed the outcome of our post-season.

I don't watch enough NBA in general (unfortunately have been lacking in the League Pass department this year, so only got to see a few national Magic games) to know if Gay is that guy, or any of the other lower tier guys that are available.

So that said, the question becomes:

-If we can't get a star wing / 2 guard (highly likely / probable), do we get a lesser guy, even if he isn't what we need?

-Do we instead get a star 4 since we can't get a star 2, even tho it's not exactly what we need?

-Do we not waste our money on players who aren't needs, and just go into the next season looking the same that we do now?

Honestly, the 3rd option might be best, that way we aren't spending money on guys who won't change our success. Lock up Barnes, and Redick, and get a backup replacement for JWill. I still think we, as is, can win the East again. I think we were good enough to do it this year, and with Cleveland in flux (plus whoever gets LeBron, who won't be any better than Cleveland unless he goes to a team like Boston or Atlanta), and Boston only getting older, and their window quickly closing, we'll only be in better shape next year.

Of course, if Gay or another of those guys that are available are what we need, then absolutely go for them. Or hope we can luck out in the draft.

I'm not expecting a big name change this off-season, nor do I think it's needed.

Yea bass did do tht a lot, looked lost most of the time. Gotta say though tht he didn't have many minutes early on n I'm sure wasn't comfortable with stans system. Now tht he's got a year under his belt, should be better n contribute to this team

The only thing that truly worries me about Amare is his complete lack of rebounding in Phoenix. Why do you think Kerr went after Shaq in the first place? Because Amare is the anti-Dwight, he has no defensive/rebounding presence in the paint whatsoever.

If Vince & Gortat wound up being Amare, or something along those lines.. I guess I'd shrug and deal with it. The best things about it would be a. shipping Vince off and b. finally getting Shard to SF where he belongs.

Offensively, a front line of Dwight/Amare/Shard? I sure wouldn't miss Vince, but boy would that put a lot of pressure on Jameer to make plays.

Defensively.. I'd have to see it to believe it.