Sign in to follow this  
Chase

DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING THIS OFFSEASON

quote:
Originally posted by Anthos:

It could be beneficial to stay the way we are because this offseason there is going to be a heavy re-shuffling in the league and I don't think many of the new super-star loaded teams will be straight-up contenders from the first year due to a complete lack of chemistry. It would give us an advantage. And we did go 27-3 during late in the season when everything started ticking together. Still though, I wouldn't mind a solid SG that can wreck havoc slashing opposing defenses (or if our current SG can shave 10 years off of him)

That's some pretty poor logic. The Celtics totally reshaped their roster top to bottom and then went on to win 66 games and a title.

Lakers have swapped Trevor Ariza, Ron Artest, and Lamar Odom in their starting lineup the past 3 seasons. And I believe the only players from that have been mainstays on their bench are Sasha, Farmar, and Walton.

If we keep the same people, hopefully, I hope the starting lineup changes. I think JJ should be a starter and Vince need to come off the bench, and I really hope that we keep Bass and play him a lot more for next year. He might seem out of place with Orlando but only because didn't get a lot of playing time.

I just don't understand people sometimes. Our weaknesses were exposed in the Finals by the Lakers last year, and again this year in the ECF by the Celtics. Do you people seriously believe that all these weaknesses are just going to disapear over a year? Just because we are the Orlando Magic doesn't mean we can perform magic and poof our problems away.

Obiviously, we are a very good team. But there is a difference between a very good team and a championship team. When was the last time the Mavericks didn't have a 50+ win season? The 90s? How many rings do they have to show for it? There is a reason the same teams are the ones winning championships every year.

When Dwight gets defended by one man and the defense can stay at our three point shooters, we NEED someone to create offense for himself. That was Carter's job, and he didn't do it. How am I supposed to believe a washed Vince is going to all of a sudden improve his game while getting older? Besides, letting VC's contract expire would be a worst case scenario for this franchise. Total nightmare. A dominant big like Dwight needs a great wing player who can create offense for himself. So far the best we've managed is a 34 year old Vince Carter putting up 16 ppg.

I'm not trying to be doom and gloom here, we are not far off from a championship. But the roster as is, will again fail late in the playoffs with the some problems we have now. Otis needs to be agressive to try and get Dwight the wing player he needs to win a ring.

I agree to no changes except for the end of the bench. The advantage last year's team had over this year's was the chemistry developed by most of them having been together for two or more years. Vince really hasn't figured out his role on the team, and might learn to fit in. If not, JJ can move to the SL and Vince will make a great sixth man. I believe Vince would rather be on the bench here than starting somewhere else.

Of course I take it all back if we can get DWade.

Boston was an aberation. How often does a team bring in two major stars while keeping their frachise player/captain? How often do three major stars all subjugate their egos to the goal of a championship?

Miller4Prez64,

I think many of us understand that. But Orlando doesn't really have money to go out there and get someone else. Plus, we have contracts that are too big to move. Our two wins in the ECF shows that this team is capable if we kept with the winning rotation--which it took us too long to find and when it was found, someone forgot to remind Van Gundy in game 6.

This team is just not mature enough yet to understand that. Seriously, this team had every chance to win ECF. Their energy and effort was not there. icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Chase:

I know how much I say I hate VC and bring in Wade etc.

But I was watching Matt Barnes's last interview before the offseason and he said he hopes they bring back the same group of guys.

As I got to think about it he was right. We don't need anyone next season to mess up the starting 5's chemistry, we just need to take this experience and drive next year.

Of course get rid of J-will, Dad, Foyle etc.

Lakers and Boston kept the same line up (FOR THE MOST PART) for awhile now and look at where their at.

I just have a good feeling about next year Gents. Let's hold our head high and be proud of our Magic.

smile_magicfan.gif

I agree too. I think they need to change and extend the game strategie. For example, the 4 out 1 in worked perfectly against the Hawks, but struggled against the celtics. Need the coach and his team to implement strategic moves to be able to change a game plan in game when say a 4 out 1 in offense is not working.

The only reason I think the magic lost to the celtics is because they were not prepared to be able to switch and counter the celtics strategies.

I think the personel is right(besides a few little niggle moves) its just about having the team ready to be able to change very quickly.

So that said, I believe it comes down to training, and implementing many different ways to play the game in the regular season, maybe doing different strategies in the same game. Especially when playing in front being able to switch to another gamestyle and continue to win.

Would make the magic the most versatile team in the competition.

The reason we lost the ECF was because we had nobody to step up and score points. Perkins and Sheed do a great job on Dwight, our shooters aren't getting looks...we needed someone to create some offense. VC was awful. Jameer stepped up to the plate and got us back into the series, but ultimately you knew he wasn't going to do it four straight games with Rondo guarding him.

If we can't find anything this offseason to get a wing and get rid of VC, it has to be done by the deadline. The Magic letting his contract expire is going to equal bad things.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramsde68:

I think it all comes down to this, can Otis pull off a huge trade using either Carter or Lewis to bring in a young mega star. If not then you know what screw it. Continue to make small additions and tweaks. Maybe move Lewis over to the 3 and let Bass or Anderson take over. Bring in CJ. Continue to groom Dwight into the beast of the East.

Lets not have a knee jerk reaction like Cleveland did last year. Unless Mr. Opportunity is literally slapping his **** in Otis face, lets not put on the sucking gloss.

Defentialy aqree with you. But know how otis has been with trading, you know that he wont be a knee jerk type of trader. If the opportunity comes to acquire a true piece that will give us a clear edge then great! but if not then keep what you got.

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

That's some pretty poor logic. The Celtics totally reshaped their roster top to bottom and then went on to win 66 games and a title.

Dude, I'm not saying that it's the best thing to do. I just provided an argument in favor of it. Anything we do is a gamble. If we trade we could pull a Boston and win a championship or pull a Cleveland and get eliminated a round earlier. I trust Otis with whatever he decides.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramsde68:

I think it all comes down to this, can Otis pull off a huge trade using either Carter or Lewis to bring in a young mega star. If not then you know what screw it. Continue to make small additions and tweaks. Maybe move Lewis over to the 3 and let Bass or Anderson take over. Bring in CJ. Continue to groom Dwight into the beast of the East.

Lets not have a knee jerk reaction like Cleveland did last year. Unless Mr. Opportunity is literally slapping his **** in Otis face, lets not put on the sucking gloss.

Carter needs to go. Lewis IMO is huge part of the puzzle to the teams success. He stays.

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

I just don't understand people sometimes. Our weaknesses were exposed in the Finals by the Lakers last year, and again this year in the ECF by the Celtics. Do you people seriously believe that all these weaknesses are just going to disapear over a year? Just because we are the Orlando Magic doesn't mean we can perform magic and poof our problems away.

Obiviously, we are a very good team. But there is a difference between a very good team and a championship team. When was the last time the Mavericks didn't have a 50+ win season? The 90s? How many rings do they have to show for it? There is a reason the same teams are the ones winning championships every year.

When Dwight gets defended by one man and the defense can stay at our three point shooters, we NEED someone to create offense for himself. That was Carter's job, and he didn't do it. How am I supposed to believe a washed Vince is going to all of a sudden improve his game while getting older? Besides, letting VC's contract expire would be a worst case scenario for this franchise. Total nightmare. A dominant big like Dwight needs a great wing player who can create offense for himself. So far the best we've managed is a 34 year old Vince Carter putting up 16 ppg.

I'm not trying to be doom and gloom here, we are not far off from a championship. But the roster as is, will again fail late in the playoffs with the some problems we have now. Otis needs to be agressive to try and get Dwight the wing player he needs to win a ring.

I agree with parts of your comment. Mainly the mavericks and not winning a championship, I would hate to see that happen to the magic. But saying that. Howard did start to show that when he was composed(games 3 and 4) he could score on his man one-on-one.

I think they need to be better prepared to not have everything go there way (Howard not being doubled; three point shooters not having open looks)Playing atlanta cost the magic big time, because against atlanta they were having howard doubled and the three point shots opened up as well as howard having weaker defenders.

I also think that Carter has been given a hard time. I do think it was part his fault, but also Van Gundy's fault because they did not need to use carters scoring as much during the season, he was not use to not having the ball in his hands for major mins. and when it came down to needing him to do something he did not have the chemestry or the gametime training and practise to just turn it on, like everyone expected. Also you watch other games especially during the season, they try to get everyone else scoring in 1st quarters then go to Carter in the other periods. I think this dampered on him because he has always been number 1 option. Needs to adjust.

I