Sign in to follow this  
NittanyBuc

Otis on Offseason Plans....

quote:
Originally posted by ThuglifeJ:

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

Rudy Gay and Joe Johnson are clear upgrades over Vince. Anyone who doesn't think otherwise is probably going to leave this forum when Vince is gone.

VC isn't a star player anymore, his game dropped BIGTIME this season and will continue to do so, I wouldn't be shocked if his numbers are even lower next year, dropping to maybe 14 ppg or so.

Explain to me how these two are clear upgrades. Elaborate on how well Johnson did this playoffs.

I 100% disagree that Johnson/Gay to replace Vince is the answer. It's going to have to be something bigger than that.

Their age is their only benefit

I'll preface this by saying I don't see Joe Johnson with the Magic next year & giving him a long term Max contract at this stage of his career is eerily similiar to 3 summers ago when Shard received one...

But, Johnson is a HUGE upgrade over VC on the defensive end alone, AND a much better all around player at this stage.

To suggest Johnson had a miserable playoffs ignores the fact he single handedly carried his struggling teammates through the Milwakee series on both ends of the floor. I don't dispute he surrendered against Orlando...but to suggest VC is in the same league as Johnson right now is silly. Johnson was an All-Star & is at this point a perennial all-star, VC was nowhere close to playing at that level this season.

When we look at Vince Caters career you must understand Vince throws up many shots a game. In the playoffs he was not confident and his first season with the Magic Blow up big time.

Otis has problems with Carter, Shard and Jameer. All three were exposed in the Boston Playoff series.

The best situation is to package Carter, Shard with Gortat and do a sign and trade to acquire a top free agent and a solid player.

If the Magic stay the same expect the same results.

I don't understand how Shard was a problem against the Celtics. The player also has to be be put in the right situation to be effective. Against KG he was on lock but against Pierce he looked like Jordan. On the defensive side he was all world against KG.

quote:

Shard was a problem because he was worthless on the offensive end. I don't want him traded, but he was a problem.

Worthless against KG. When Stan made the adjustment and switched Shard to SF he dominated and was far from worthless on offense. He was also very good on Pierce defensively.

quote:

Shard was a problem because he was worthless on the offensive end. I don't want him traded, but he was a problem.

because he's not a real pf. he did a really good job on kg. limited him to 10ppg in the series. kg was scoring almost 18ppg in the cavs series. shard struggled offensively i agree but kg is a good defender and dwight wasn't getting double teamed like he's used to so shard wasn't getting open looks. he's not exactly a post-player and aggressive enough to drive to the basket and/or get to the freethrow line. stretch 4 has always been problematic with boston and la.

but stan should've made the rotation and put shard at the 3 after he was going of on paul pierce in the 4th qtr of game 5.

one think i like about phil jackson is he puts kobe bryant on point guards. its a sissy move and gives an unfair advantage but it gets the job done. they know derek fish sucks defensively so kobe has to put the stops on the guards that fisher cant. in the play offs we saw kobe on westbrook and dwill now hes going after rondo. in the suns series phil even put gasol on nash because he was on fire.

matt barnes had back spasms and vince was playing like garbage. pierce was killing the magic. put shard on pierce. give him that unfair advantage. let gortat/bass rotate at the 4 and back up center.

it could've very well worked.

Originally posted by PrematureShooter:

You're right, we don't know what we would get out of Gay, Joe, Granger, etc, but we know EXACTLY what we're getting out of Vince. Any of those guys is clearly an upgrade and I literally can't understand how someone can say otherwise.

I have to agree with you on that point. Anyone is a upgrade over Vince.

quote:
Originally posted by ThuglifeJ:

I dont get why ppl think Vince is the black Turk. Vince is the black Ginobli.

DURANT is the black Turk.

Oversized, handles, poor D, got that akward (but fundemental) shot.

maybe not. just a thought.

smile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.pngsmile_svgsad.png

Looks like with this report from realgm we can probably put this "Arenas to Orlando" thing to bed now.....I mean did people honestly want him here? Anyways i would love to hear from someone with Knowledge on how otis works to comment on our REALISTIC options for the offseason...It may be just me but i have a feeling that Otis is going to let someone walk and i have a bet going it's either Redick or Barnes

http://www.realgm.com/src_wire..._duo_of_wall_arenas/

quote:
Originally posted by Debonair:

one think i like about phil jackson is he puts kobe bryant on point guards. its a sissy move and gives an unfair advantage but it gets the job done. they know derek fish sucks defensively so kobe has to put the stops on the guards that fisher cant. in the play offs we saw kobe on westbrook and dwill now hes going after rondo. in the suns series phil even put gasol on nash because he was on fire.

Wait, sorry... did I just have a stroke or does this actually say Phil Jackson intentionally matched up Pau Gasol on Steve Nash to try to slow him down? Either your daily goal is to say the most utterly outrageous and moronic things possible or you're a highly trained circus monkey with a computer. I mean Jesus, if you really think getting a mismatch via a pick-n-roll switch is a voluntary coaching decision then you are a hopeless troll.

Secondly, explain to me how an NBA team goes about obtaining an "unfair advantage" by having a PG so defensively inept that they have to switch their SG onto the opposing team's point. I'm sure Phil says to himself everyday, "Man, I'm sure glad Derek Fisher can't stay in front of anyone so we have to use our best player with multiple nagging injuries to defend their quickest, most crafty player. That way we can also have said defensive liability give up 5 inches to the best shooter in the NBA while he chases him around screens. Unfair advantage: us!"

I will be anxiously awaiting both replies. Can't wait!

quote:
Originally posted by raf008:

Looks like with this report from realgm we can probably put this "Arenas to Orlando" thing to bed now.....I mean did people honestly want him here? Anyways i would love to hear from someone with Knowledge on how otis works to comment on our REALISTIC options for the offseason...It may be just me but i have a feeling that Otis is going to let someone walk and i have a bet going it's either Redick or Barnes

http://www.realgm.com/src_wire..._duo_of_wall_arenas/

otis will surely inquire about potential big players and what it would take for us to get a s&t but don't expect a star to sign with orlando this offseason. literally everything has to go right for us to be able to sign a big name.

otis may also look to trade for a higher draft pick but even that may be a little tough.

basically, don't expect some huge signing that will make us instant favorites going into next season. guys like travis outlaw, steve blake, udonis haslem, chris duhon, etc. are all players that have a better chance coming to orlando.

otis has been able to surprise us before and he may be able to do that again this summer so who knows.