Soul Bro

Root Problem ... System or Players?

quote:
Originally posted by J2K:

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Bottom line:

1. Paul Pierce > Vince Carter

Carter shot 36% from the field and 21% from three against Boston.

Pierce shot 51% from the field and 44% from three.

Who is the better wing and go-to guy?

2. Lewis primaraily was a no-show vs Boston on the offensive end.

Lewis shot 33% from the field and 17% from three.

Conclusion: both of our star wings were manhandled and shut down by Boston. At times, each flashed but overall they were unreliable. At the very least, I think Vince needs to be moved (if possible). Hopefully, we play Lewis a lot more at SF next year.

Pierce shot better for a number of reasons, they have a great passing pg one of the best maybe even #2 behind Nash in terms of finding the open guy.

Vince didn't have that, the only shots he could take were ones he created for himself and against the Boston defense you can't run through them.

But I %100 agree that Vince didn't play to his potential and that he let a lot of his fans down but it wasn't resting on his shoulders, with the number of shots he had been given which wasn't a lot. I still saw a lot of problems with how the magic played except for Dwight he played great the past 3 games and Jameer shot very good a couple of games.. but messed up last game badly.

Vince had plenty of open looks that he couldnt hit and Pierce got a lot of his points one on one on that little step back jumpshot that he couldnt miss. Pierce looked like kobe out there, Vince looked washed up.

quote:
Originally posted by Sinister_Grin:

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

bill simmons thinks we need to run a nelson-jj-lewis-gortat-dwight lineup

As much as I loathe Bill Simmons I think he is right on this one. Lewis should have been playing at SF against this team from the get go and JJ is the only player we have that seems to excel against the Celtics.

I believe that Gortat's D will be exposed to no end against anyone not named Sheldon Williams though. I always thought his D was overrated but this series he has been beaten over and over again.

I personally think that we could have went nelson/redick/lewis/bass/howard as well.

quote:
Originally posted by Soul Bro:

Marc, please I-slap me if this sounds nuts. Given the Lakers' length, it seems to me we not only need a go-to guy but a tough, tall, tradional line-up. Could Howard and Tat play together for long periods? From what I just saw, not really. Bass and Howard? Who knows?

Consequently, would we ever consider a trade with Toronto for Bosh? Would they take back Lewis if they could also dump Turk? Probably not, given they have a Euro Lewis in AB. But a Lewis, MP, and Bass or Tat for Turk and Bosh would appear to work. We'd get stuck with Turk but have a nasty core of Nelson, Bosh and Howard.

Man, I'm sounding deperate. Forgive me.

No I worried about that also, they are the only other "big" team out there, I'm not sure how we would have faired after seeing this series. I would prefer to use the big lineup and use the small ball as the situational one. I know the small one is what we've been successful with how I feel like it leaves us to where we are not ready when we run into one of these big teams.

The Tor idea is a good one I think as long as you are moving Lewis. Turk's contract is a bad one but not as bad as Shards. By the looks of that other thread I just saw, they may be deparate to move Turk while getting something in return for Bosh.

I was specifically told I'd be laughed at if I posted this on messageboards, but what the hey, I'll do it anyway.

The Magic are going to look into a sign and trade for Amare. There are rumblings that the organization is unhappy with the necessity to run the stretch 4 lineup (run it sometimes, but not all the time) and that is why Bass was brought in. However, Brandon never fully grasped Stan's system, and there are 2 things Stan demands of his players - effort of defense and smart play.

So, there is a sentiment that Phoenix would be a good trading partner because they have an aging Nash and thus won't be looking to completely rebuild, so guys like Gortat and Bass, who are near their prime, would be appealing to them.

Also, the only way Stan gets fired is if there is a decision to go with a traditional lineup and Stan stubbornly won't do it and demands to run the stretch lineup.

quote:
Originally posted by TheRevTy:

I was specifically told I'd be laughed at if I posted this on messageboards, but what the hey, I'll do it anyway.

The Magic are going to look into a sign and trade for Amare. There are rumblings that the organization is unhappy with the necessity to run the stretch 4 lineup (run it sometimes, but not all the time) and that is why Bass was brought in. However, Brandon never fully grasped Stan's system, and there are 2 things Stan demands of his players - effort of defense and smart play.

So, there is a sentiment that Phoenix would be a good trading partner because they have an aging Nash and thus won't be looking to completely rebuild, so guys like Gortat and Bass, who are near their prime, would be appealing to them.

Also, the only way Stan gets fired is if there is a decision to go with a traditional lineup and Stan stubbornly won't do it and demands to run the stretch lineup.

Amare would love to be near home. This makes sense to me.

Here's my thoughts on traditional vs. stretch:

The Lakers are wildly successful for 2 reasons, 1. Kobe Bryant - but let's face it, he likely is faced with the end of his prime in the next couple of seasons. And 2. Gasol/Bynum/Odom. Because of those 3, teams aren't able to handle their frontline. Add in the toughness of Artest (albeit poo offensively) and you have a dynamic set-up that many teams stuggle against.

What has Dwight never had? A power forward that the other team had to game plan to stop. Sure, teams plan to keep Rashard from heating up, but that was all you really needed. There is a big difference between "We have to stop this guy..." and "We have to keep an eye on him at all times." With a frontline Dwight, Rashard, and Amare (or Boozer or Bosh) we have the Lakers' frontline on steroids (no pun intended for Mr. Lewis).

So, while it may seem foolish to many to build to try and stop one team (I'm looking at you, Cavs. How'd Shaq, your Dwight stopper, work out?) we are instead following a system that is incredibly effective.

Now we just need Kobe...

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

We need to trade Gortat just for the sake of Jareth's health.

If that's our motivation, then we should also rid the world of bacon.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kberto:

We need to trade Gortat just for the sake of Jareth's health.

If that's our motivation, then we should also rid the world of bacon.

Way too easy, but I laughed anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

replace vince and lewis with rudy gay and kevin love and we do fine

Is Rudy Gay a real possibility? CP3?

quote:

Could Dwight and Amare co-exist?

quote:

How much would it take to get Amare though? Bass + Gortat surely wouldn't be enough.