Sign in to follow this  
SlipperySam

Hello and All the Best to Magic Fans from Boston

quote:
Originally posted by SlipperySam:

Hi!

My board name is SlipperySam. I have been a Celtics fan since 1950. But I come not to antagonize but to wish you the best and freedom from injuries in the coming series.

Last October, I started a Celtics chat form called Sam's Celtics Forum. It has been surprisingly successful, and we are proud of the fact that it contains a high level of very civil discussion. We even have some "friendly rival" Lakers fans as great contributors. In fact, we just had a party in San Francisco for our Western members.

I'm not trying to sell our forum to you, as you're obviously doing very nicely without us.

But, in addition to sending best wishes, I'm hoping to strike up a little correspondence with some of you because we're also hoping to have a Florida party sometime next season, and it would be a pleasure to meet some Magic fans. If any of you likes the idea, you're welcome to email me at SlipSamCelt@aol.com. I'm not going to include the URL of our forum because I'm truly not trying to sell it. (I think the party will probably be in the Tampa/St. Pete area because my wife and I are St. Pete Beach fanatics.)

As for the upcoming series, I personally think it's going to be fascinating. For my money, the Magic has had the best combination of being well-rounded (including the bench) and successful team this season. I believe that the Celtics have a deep veteran team that never had good continuity (due mainly to injuries) this season. They gained a little chemistry leading up to the playoffs; and, being comprised only of veterans, the chemistry has quickly mushroomed as they've been healthy during the playoffs. So what people saw from the Celtics during the season bore very little resemblance to the Celtics of today.

So what we've got is one team that was very good all season and has probably hit its peak in sweeping all its playoff game so far...and another team that's finally operating pretty much at peak performance (although I still think the Celts can continue to improve barring further injuries).

And the other thing that excites me is that, in my 61 years as a pro basketball fan, one thing I really like about the playoffs is that there are very few surprises. Over as many as seven games, the two teams really get to know one another extremely well, so victory often depends on which team makes the best in-game adjustments and counter-adjustments. I particularly enjoy watching that "chess match."

Once again, on behalf of a bunch of Celtics fans, I send greetings and a lot of good will. And, by the way, despite my "SlipperySam" board name, I'm not really some oily freak. The name is in honor of a former Celtic whose nickname was "Slippery Sam Jones." He's been one of my best friends since 1967.

Take care, and I hope to hear from some of you.

SlipperySam

Way to go Sam,..

Sam Jones is a bit before my time but like Russell, Cousey and others that dazzled before my time. I've certainly seen game film and heard of Sam Jones tenacious play.

My never having been a Celtic fan but greatly enjoyed watching their skilled play. They've had a host of genuine stars and having attacked from the backcourt myself. The Celtic I most watched in admiration and a feel for what he was doing and how he meshed with the other skills sets against opponents was Dennis Johnson,..along with MJ it's DJ as best total floor game SG's I've seen play and he was a master of disguise in how he picked his times and positions to strike and pull off his flash attacks on every opponents positions.

That said this shapes up to be the best series of the entire playoffs. Both teams have a legit shot at winning, extremely slight margin for error and there's no more cupcakes to be feasted on,..the best is now facing the best.

Where I knew the Celtics were a far better constructed team than the Cavaliers. I was specifically impressed how Doc Rivers didn't waste anytime attacking the Cavaliers weaknesses. He challenged and attacked from all over the floor and ran the Cavaliers in a textbook manner of multi angled and shifting element approach knowing they couldn't keep up,..I was surprised it didn't end in 5.

I think KG is looking really healthy and Rondo is just making a statement, that if his team mates fill the lanes and hit their shots. He can create loads of opportunities for them to cash in,..as a guard assessing a guard he's even more floor intelligent than he is athletic.

That said I've been impressed with the Magic's GM and the players he's assembled that can down right beat anybody. Dwight Howard is the anchor but he's certainly not ever left on an island by himself. His team mates play off him extremely well and they don't force him to win it alone,..that makes them all dangerous.

The odd thing about series like this that pit equally talented and skilled teams against one another. Is where the talent indicates it should be a 7 game affair.

There's so many potent players on both teams that if one or two of them gets hot they can turn this series one way in a flash point second. Which leaves no doubt that bench play and timely subs in rotation will loom large.

So the coaching emphasis has to be placed on avoiding letting any opponent heat up. So they'll have to be watching with a keen eye and not fearing but respecting. That just like they have such players on their team their opponent in this series does too,..the only coaching question mark in this battle to me is will Stan Van Gundy panic off a Celtic's push.

But by structure both of these teams were built to be here in this position and there's no question they're the two best in the conference. Which they're both so good that it's my belief that the winner of this series takes it all and that's with no disrespect to L.A. or Phoenix.

But these two teams can beat you so fast and attack in so many ways. That barring injury and knowing one will be the other but nobody else beats the winner,..not this year.

Great knowledge trumps good luck in series play and hoping the best of health for all involved,..so here's to 20/20 vision and the deep range game.

ba-magic_celtics_0500160059.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

It's a shame that he is so nice. I always wanted to see what a 60+ year old internet troll looks like.

Troll?

Where he's a classy fan. It's you that could have taken the mystery out of that visual and posted your picture to validate it.

However, we've all developed a rough sketch in composite to what you look like,..we all have commodes you know.

That said and with your being such a consummate crevice and a backside blow hard that leaves you such a sphincter postured phenomenon.

Allow me to share your mugshot that I've found circulating on the net,..stay puckered you tasteless Schmucker.

butthead_17k.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by HoopsCzar:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

It's a shame that he is so nice. I always wanted to see what a 60+ year old internet troll looks like.

Troll?

Where he's a classy fan. It's you that could have taken the mystery out of that visual and posted your picture to validate it.

However, we've all developed a rough sketch in composite to what you look like,..we all have commodes you know.

That said and with your being such a consummate crevice and a backside blow hard that leaves you such a sphincter postured phenomenon.

Allow me to share your mugshot that I've found circulating on the net,..stay puckered you tasteless Schmucker.

Did you mother deliberately drop you on your head on several occasions or was she just extremely clumsy? Obviously the man is not a troll. He's quite nice and I'm sure he will contribute nicely to this forum for the duration of this series. I was making a joke because I seriously doubt that a 65 year old internet troll actually exists. Of course, I don't expect you to catch the subtility of that joke when basic reading comprehension still eludes you.

One thing I have to say, Boston fans no matter what sport are born with loyalty in their blood. It goes from generation to generation. They live and breath their loyalty to the teams. That's why Fenway is always sold out, the Bruins were riding high, right along side the Celtics. This is one classy guy! Hang in there!

Welcome to the Magic board! Hope you like it here. Most of us are nice, some are kinda silly. A few are just disrespectful.

I personally don't fear one player specifically, but if I had to choose one, I'd say Rondo. He's a snake, he can slip through every tiny little hole in the D and make that extra pass to the open teammate. His layups attempts and % will be drastically lowered because of Dwight, but I still think he can do damage with his penetration and sneaky passes.

But it's the whole team that I fear more than a certain player. They most definately have the "we're not done and we're gonna prove it!" attitude, because this is their window and it's closing, after all. You can never count out Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce when they are on a roll, even though Pierce was a shadow of himself in the Cavs series. Add Rondo to the mix, and you have the energy booster to the fuel.

I expect a great, nail-biting series that goes 6 to 7 games.. and I hope my Magic win it. We do play some fast ball but the C defense is really good, so it might slow our play down. BUT, we have some crazy ball movement and our hockey passes around the 3 point line might be your biggest enemy. Celtics age might show in that department, because from what I've seen, lateral movement isn't their strongest point right now.

What you do have is big bodies to throw at Dwight, something he usually struggles with. Perk is known to defend Dwight really well, and you then have Dwight's biggest headache, Rasheed Wallace. Maybe he can squeeze out a drop or two of sweat in defending Dwight. But you have to be careful, Dwight has been good lately in spinning around defenders and running them out of the house.. and he's an underrated passer. He tends to draw doubles and kicks it out to an open three or it swings through 2-3 other players to an open three in the other corner. Open three point shooters and ball movement from side to side will be C's poison I think. And it starts with Dwight.

Anyways, welcome to the board (again) and hope you share your thoughts with us through the series and may the better team win.

-- And people, don't be disrespectful to people who cheer for "the other team", especially when they are this classy and respectful. --

It's not what you say but how you say it! It's nice to see an adversary that has his own opinion and states it in a classy way! Welcome. All I ask for is for is that the games be fairly officated and may the best team win... which I feel will be the Magic.

Hey Sam welcome to our world. Your boys really scare me, a lot more than the Lebrons did. You guys have a team not a superstar. I am hoping we win this series no matter how many games. I am sure that I will be a nervous wreck during this series but it should turn out to be a classic.

quote:
Originally posted by HoopsCzar:

quote:

Hi!

My board name is SlipperySam. I have been a Celtics fan since 1950. But I come not to antagonize but to wish you the best and freedom from injuries in the coming series.

Last October, I started a Celtics chat form called Sam's Celtics Forum. It has been surprisingly successful, and we are proud of the fact that it contains a high level of very civil discussion. We even have some "friendly rival" Lakers fans as great contributors. In fact, we just had a party in San Francisco for our Western members.

I'm not trying to sell our forum to you, as you're obviously doing very nicely without us.

But, in addition to sending best wishes, I'm hoping to strike up a little correspondence with some of you because we're also hoping to have a Florida party sometime next season, and it would be a pleasure to meet some Magic fans. If any of you likes the idea, you're welcome to email me at SlipSamCelt@aol.com. I'm not going to include the URL of our forum because I'm truly not trying to sell it. (I think the party will probably be in the Tampa/St. Pete area because my wife and I are St. Pete Beach fanatics.)

As for the upcoming series, I personally think it's going to be fascinating. For my money, the Magic has had the best combination of being well-rounded (including the bench) and successful team this season. I believe that the Celtics have a deep veteran team that never had good continuity (due mainly to injuries) this season. They gained a little chemistry leading up to the playoffs; and, being comprised only of veterans, the chemistry has quickly mushroomed as they've been healthy during the playoffs. So what people saw from the Celtics during the season bore very little resemblance to the Celtics of today.

So what we've got is one team that was very good all season and has probably hit its peak in sweeping all its playoff game so far...and another team that's finally operating pretty much at peak performance (although I still think the Celts can continue to improve barring further injuries).

And the other thing that excites me is that, in my 61 years as a pro basketball fan, one thing I really like about the playoffs is that there are very few surprises. Over as many as seven games, the two teams really get to know one another extremely well, so victory often depends on which team makes the best in-game adjustments and counter-adjustments. I particularly enjoy watching that "chess match."

Once again, on behalf of a bunch of Celtics fans, I send greetings and a lot of good will. And, by the way, despite my "SlipperySam" board name, I'm not really some oily freak. The name is in honor of a former Celtic whose nickname was "Slippery Sam Jones." He's been one of my best friends since 1967.

Take care, and I hope to hear from some of you.

SlipperySam

Way to go Sam,..

Sam Jones is a bit before my time but like Russell, Cousey and others that dazzled before my time. I've certainly seen game film and heard of Sam Jones tenacious play.

My never having been a Celtic fan but greatly enjoyed watching their skilled play. They've had a host of genuine stars and having attacked from the backcourt myself. The Celtic I most watched in admiration and a feel for what he was doing and how he meshed with the other skills sets against opponents was Dennis Johnson,..along with MJ it's DJ as best total floor game SG's I've seen play and he was a master of disguise in how he picked his times and positions to strike and pull off his flash attacks on every opponents positions.

That said this shapes up to be the best series of the entire playoffs. Both teams have a legit shot at winning, extremely slight margin for error and there's no more cupcakes to be feasted on,..the best is now facing the best.

Where I knew the Celtics were a far better constructed team than the Cavaliers. I was specifically impressed how Doc Rivers didn't waste anytime attacking the Cavaliers weaknesses. He challenged and attacked from all over the floor and ran the Cavaliers in a textbook manner of multi angled and shifting element approach knowing they couldn't keep up,..I was surprised it didn't end in 5.

I think KG is looking really healthy and Rondo is just making a statement, that if his team mates fill the lanes and hit their shots. He can create loads of opportunities for them to cash in,..as a guard assessing a guard he's even more floor intelligent than he is athletic.

That said I've been impressed with the Magic's GM and the players he's assembled that can down right beat anybody. Dwight Howard is the anchor but he's certainly not ever left on an island by himself. His team mates play off him extremely well and they don't force him to win it alone,..that makes them all dangerous.

The odd thing about series like this that pit equally talented and skilled teams against one another. Is where the talent indicates it should be a 7 game affair.

There's so many potent players on both teams that if one or two of them gets hot they can turn this series one way in a flash point second. Which leaves no doubt that bench play and timely subs in rotation will loom large.

So the coaching emphasis has to be placed on avoiding letting any opponent heat up. So they'll have to be watching with a keen eye and not fearing but respecting. That just like they have such players on their team their opponent in this series does too,..the only coaching question mark in this battle to me is will Stan Van Gundy panic off a Celtic's push.

But by structure both of these teams were built to be here in this position and there's no question they're the two best in the conference. Which they're both so good that it's my belief that the winner of this series takes it all and that's with no disrespect to L.A. or Phoenix.

But these two teams can beat you so fast and attack in so many ways. That barring injury and knowing one will be the other but nobody else beats the winner,..not this year.

Great knowledge trumps good luck in series play and hoping the best of health for all involved,..so here's to 20/20 vision and the deep range game.

ba-magic_celtics_0500160059.jpg

After Jameers play as of late and Stan's coaching. I thought that you would surely crawl back into the hole you came out of. Since you were wrong on just about anything basketball that spewed from your mouth. But, your back with your terrible use of the english language. Please join another fan base already. No one reads your posts!

I didn't intend to start any infighting concerning my age. I make no bones about the fact that I'll be 73 in a few days. I started following the Celtics when they joined the NBA in 1950 and I kept seeing the name "Cousy" everywhere. I went around pronouncing it "Cow-zee" until I heard it correctly on the radio.

It was 1967 when I started going to practices, and I met Sam Jones who lived in the same town as I. A true prince of a man. We had a blast until he retired and moved to D.C. after the 1968-69 end of the so-called dynasty. Many don't know that Sam ranks second only to Russell with 10 championship rings. And I wrote an account of traveling on the team plane to the last game Russell and Sam ever played...the famous 1969 "balloon game" in L.A. (The all-night celebration party was a once-in-a-lifetime experience...especially sitting next to Havlicek the entire time.) Sam now lives closer to you all than to me, but we got together as recently as last summer, and we still correspond frequently.

As for being 73, it's pretty much a non-factor as far as I'm concerned. It was just last year that I finally started feeling 30; and that feeling will probably last another five years or until I croak

quote:

I didn't intend to start any infighting concerning my age. I make no bones about the fact that I'll be 73 in a few days. I started following the Celtics when they joined the NBA in 1950 and I kept seeing the name "Cousy" everywhere. I went around pronouncing it "Cow-zee" until I heard it correctly on the radio.

It was 1967 when I started going to practices, and I met Sam Jones who lived in the same town as I. A true prince of a man. We had a blast until he retired and moved to D.C. after the 1968-69 end of the so-called dynasty. Many don't know that Sam ranks second only to Russell with 10 championship rings. And I wrote an account of traveling on the team plane to the last game Russell and Sam ever played...the famous 1969 "balloon game" in L.A. (The all-night celebration party was a once-in-a-lifetime experience...especially sitting next to Havlicek the entire time.) Sam now lives closer to you all than to me, but we got together as recently as last summer, and we still correspond frequently.

As for being 73, it's pretty much a non-factor as far as I'm concerned. It was just last year that I finally started feeling 30; and that feeling will probably last another five years or until I croak

You got my respect, Sam. To be fan of one of the most storied franchises in American sports from the beginning, and still going strong, is a thing to admire.

Plus, running your own message board!