Natesroom

Atlanta Hawks Coach to Be Let Go

quote:
Originally posted by deadman54:

quote:
Originally posted by bigpimpatl:

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

lol, Woodson was a terrible coach who employed the Iso offense to the ground.

And I will NEVER feel bad for someone who makes that much money, unless they're getting castrated or worse.

Agreed, Woodson is a terrible coach. His offense is just give the ball to Joe on the wing and make something happen. And Billy Knight will forever be remembered selecting Marvin freakin' Williams as the 2nd pick. I don't even need to mention the players that came after him in that draft.

i dissagree with you both in the 6 years woodson was coach we never had less losses than his previous year.

04-05 13-69

05-06 26-56

06-07 30-52

07-08 37-45

08-09 47-35

09-10 53-29

terrible coaches dont climb the ladder year in year out no matter what game plan they employ.

Actually, the records are almost a direct correlation to Josh Smith's progression and chemistry with Joe Johnson (also the acquisition of Horford and Jamal Crawford)

Mike Woodson's terrible coaching at work:

switches on almost EVERY pick and roll. Laziest type of defense ever. They don't trap, they don't rotate. They switch. That creates way too many mismatches.

Offense... the offense is fueled by one on ones and isos, which all usually end up in contested jumpers. No ball movement on the offensive end. No real set plays...

quote:

quote:

quote:

And I will NEVER feel bad for someone who makes that much money, unless they're getting castrated or worse.

Agreed, Woodson is a terrible coach. His offense is just give the ball to Joe on the wing and make something happen. And Billy Knight will forever be remembered selecting Marvin freakin' Williams as the 2nd pick. I don't even need to mention the players that came after him in that draft.

i dissagree with you both in the 6 years woodson was coach we never had less losses than his previous year.

04-05 13-69

05-06 26-56

06-07 30-52

07-08 37-45

08-09 47-35

09-10 53-29

terrible coaches dont climb the ladder year in year out no matter what game plan they employ.

Then clearly, we differ on our definitions of success. Yea, he had great regular season success. But did that success translate into the playoffs? Absolutely not. Simply, he didn't meet the expectations and goals he had set even for himself (he said beginning of season that goal was conference finals).

And the (lack) of effort that the hawks showed in the 2nd round? unacceptable. And then on top of that losing 3 in a row to a Bogut less Bucks? inexcusable to say the least. The team plateaued this season, time for a new head coach.

quote:
Originally posted by AQUARIUM61:

I feel bad for Woodson. It was not really his fault that Hawks lost. Hawks had no chance to beat the Magic because of match ups, and would not have made a difference if P Jackson was the coach. I wonder if SVG will be fired if the Magic do not get past the ECF or the Finals.

SVG is one of those coaches that you keep no matter what... Surround him with great players and he'll build a great team. I like him.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

04-05 13-69

05-06 26-56

06-07 30-52

07-08 37-45

08-09 47-35

09-10 53-29

Then clearly, we differ on our definitions of success. Yea, he had great regular season success. But did that success translate into the playoffs? Absolutely not. Simply, he didn't meet the expectations and goals he had set even for himself (he said beginning of season that goal was conference finals).

And the (lack) of effort that the hawks showed in the 2nd round? unacceptable. And then on top of that losing 3 in a row to a Bogut less Bucks? inexcusable to say the least. The team plateaued this season, time for a new head coach.

i agree on the post season side and the 3 losses to the bucks mean nothing when you advance to me a series win is a series win wether or not 4-0 or 4-3 they still advanced.

i just thought that they unfortunaly came up against red hot team in the 2 years they made the second round, more so this year when they played us take game 2 when we fell behind and them ran over the top of them it really did kill them and was the turning point of the series.

having a goal of the conference finals is a good goal for them and if he had of lost the series to the bucks well then i agree he failed but second round should of been given a pass mark.

i think had they finished 4th they may of beaten the cavs or at least pushed them harder than last year.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

04-05 13-69

05-06 26-56

06-07 30-52

07-08 37-45

08-09 47-35

09-10 53-29

Actually, the records are almost a direct correlation to Josh Smith's progression and chemistry with Joe Johnson (also the acquisition of Horford and Jamal Crawford)

switches on almost EVERY pick and roll. Laziest type of defense ever. They don't trap, they don't rotate. They switch. That creates way too many mismatches.

Offense... the offense is fueled by one on ones and isos, which all usually end up in contested jumpers. No ball movement on the offensive end. No real set plays...

i agree they have to get quality players to win in this league no arguments there.

switching on the pick and roll there is nothing lazy about that plenty of teams around the world employ this. you only have a few options on defending the pick and it comes down to you are either switching, fighting through or showing your number and forcing the ball carrier back which requires your help defense to be alert for the slip as well.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

04-05 13-69

05-06 26-56

06-07 30-52

07-08 37-45

08-09 47-35

09-10 53-29

i agree they have to get quality players to win in this league no arguments there.

switching on the pick and roll there is nothing lazy about that plenty of teams around the world employ this. you only have a few options on defending the pick and it comes down to you are either switching, fighting through or showing your number and forcing the ball carrier back which requires your help defense to be alert for the slip as well.

Please tell me the last team to win a title (****... a conference title) by switching on PnR.

Please go ahead and tell me another way to defend the PnR that is even lazier than switching (oh, and I don't mean matador defense a-la Shaq). It is the laziest type of PnR defense just short of letting your man go on his own and it's a really bad one.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

04-05 13-69

05-06 26-56

06-07 30-52

07-08 37-45

08-09 47-35

09-10 53-29

Please tell me the last team to win a title (****... a conference title) by switching on PnR.

Please go ahead and tell me another way to defend the PnR that is even lazier than switching (oh, and I don't mean matador defense a-la Shaq). It is the laziest type of PnR defense just short of letting your man go on his own and it's a really bad one.

well there is a lazier way and its called not giving 100% commitment but that is to do with player attitude rather than bad coaching.

you tell me what you would do if you came up against a side that were pick and roll experts and will set 60-80 pick and rolls in one game.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

04-05 13-69

05-06 26-56

06-07 30-52

07-08 37-45

08-09 47-35

09-10 53-29

well there is a lazier way and its called not giving 100% commitment but that is to do with player attitude rather than bad coaching.

you tell me what you would do if you came up against a side that were pick and roll experts and will set 60-80 pick and rolls in one game.

lol wow.... annnnnd the argument ends here

quote:
Originally posted by ThuglifeJ:

Oh BMP plz teach us how to be as awesome as you.....

K Thuglife,

Step 1: Climb the Bank of America building

Step 2: Jump off

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit

quote:
Originally posted by ThuglifeJ:

just keep on rocking man. Rock star.

That type of music you listen to in your profile tends to have those suicidal thoughts you're implying.

Sad. I feel for ya.

Really? Name one. Never mind, you can't.

You should be following those steps, not typing.