Sign in to follow this  
Nyce_1

Magic win points by hiring Donovan, Milicic's agent says

quote:
Darko Milicic's camp looks at the Orlando Magic's hiring of Billy Donovan as an endorsement for the power forward's return and expects the Magic to "come with a strong offer" when the free-agent signing period begins July 1.

Milicic, a 7-footer, represents the largest piece to a critical summer for the Magic, because re-signing him eats up a good portion of their considerable salary-cap room. He is a restricted free agent, meaning the Magic can match any offer.

The Magic have said they wanted to bring back Milicic, their biggest offseason asset, to pair him with all-star center Dwight Howard. But it could be tricky because they also need a wing scorer -- and that player might come at a high price via a trade or free agency.

"I look at the hiring of Billy Donovan as a pro-Darko move," Marc Cornstein, Milicic's agent, told the Sentinel on Saturday.

Cornstein had said Milicic's re-signing might depend on whom the club would hire as its coach to replace Brian Hill.

Milicic, 21, was somewhat disappointed with the way Hill used him. He said after the season that he would have to explore going to a team that would allow him to facilitate the offense with his passing and shoot more from the outside.

"Coach Donovan, from what I can tell from what he did at Florida and when he was with [Rick] Pitino at Kentucky, likes big guys who are versatile and athletic," Cornstein said. "Those seem to be his type of players. Darko fits that mold.

"I would imagine that type of coach would be excited by a player like Darko."

Cornstein said he spoke briefly with Milicic -- who is back in his native Serbia -- and he said Darko was excited about Donovan's arrival.

The Magic have $10 million to $13 million in cap room, but starting Milicic's contract at about $7 million would devour most of it.

Inconsistent at times, he averaged eight points, 5.5 rebounds and 1.75 blocks per game coming off the bench behind Tony Battie. But he improved his stock with a solid postseason against his former team, the Detroit Pistons, scoring in double figures in all four games.

General Manager Otis Smith said the team would have to come up with some "creative financing" to sign Milicic and a scorer, such as trading other players to create room.

Other options are to let Milicic walk or to sign him to a contract on behalf of another team and trade him to that team, giving the Magic perhaps $17 million to $20 million in cap space to sign high-scoring free agents Rashard Lewis or Vince Carter.

Cornstein met with Smith on Wednesday and was impressed by the team's intentions.

"I get the impression that the Magic will explore every way to keep Darko,'' Cornstein said. "You never say never, because anything is possible, depending on what deals are out there. My guess is that if Darko is a priority, they will come with a strong offer to get this done soon."

As a fourth-year restricted free agent, Milicic carries a "salary-cap hold" number that equates to three times his 2006-07 salary of $5.2 million. It means the Magic could pay him a maximum of about $15 million to begin his contract.

The club can't negotiate in earnest with other free agents until they decide make a quick decision on Milicic, forcing the Magic either to re-sign or sign and trade him to free up his "hold" number. Several teams already have called the Magic to explore a trade for Milicic either on draft day on June 28 (a deal would be announced in July) or during the free-agency period.

"I would not expect a sign-and-trade," Cornstein said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-magic03...orl-sports-headlines

quote:
Darko Milicic's camp looks at the Orlando Magic's hiring of Billy Donovan as an endorsement for the power forward's return and expects the Magic to "come with a strong offer" when the free-agent signing period begins July 1.

Milicic, a 7-footer, represents the largest piece to a critical summer for the Magic, because re-signing him eats up a good portion of their considerable salary-cap room. He is a restricted free agent, meaning the Magic can match any offer.

The Magic have said they wanted to bring back Milicic, their biggest offseason asset, to pair him with all-star center Dwight Howard. But it could be tricky because they also need a wing scorer -- and that player might come at a high price via a trade or free agency.

"I look at the hiring of Billy Donovan as a pro-Darko move," Marc Cornstein, Milicic's agent, told the Sentinel on Saturday.

Cornstein had said Milicic's re-signing might depend on whom the club would hire as its coach to replace Brian Hill.

Milicic, 21, was somewhat disappointed with the way Hill used him. He said after the season that he would have to explore going to a team that would allow him to facilitate the offense with his passing and shoot more from the outside.

"Coach Donovan, from what I can tell from what he did at Florida and when he was with [Rick] Pitino at Kentucky, likes big guys who are versatile and athletic," Cornstein said. "Those seem to be his type of players. Darko fits that mold.

"I would imagine that type of coach would be excited by a player like Darko."

Cornstein said he spoke briefly with Milicic -- who is back in his native Serbia -- and he said Darko was excited about Donovan's arrival.

The Magic have $10 million to $13 million in cap room, but starting Milicic's contract at about $7 million would devour most of it.

Inconsistent at times, he averaged eight points, 5.5 rebounds and 1.75 blocks per game coming off the bench behind Tony Battie. But he improved his stock with a solid postseason against his former team, the Detroit Pistons, scoring in double figures in all four games.

General Manager Otis Smith said the team would have to come up with some "creative financing" to sign Milicic and a scorer, such as trading other players to create room.

Other options are to let Milicic walk or to sign him to a contract on behalf of another team and trade him to that team, giving the Magic perhaps $17 million to $20 million in cap space to sign high-scoring free agents Rashard Lewis or Vince Carter.

Cornstein met with Smith on Wednesday and was impressed by the team's intentions.

"I get the impression that the Magic will explore every way to keep Darko,'' Cornstein said. "You never say never, because anything is possible, depending on what deals are out there. My guess is that if Darko is a priority, they will come with a strong offer to get this done soon."

As a fourth-year restricted free agent, Milicic carries a "salary-cap hold" number that equates to three times his 2006-07 salary of $5.2 million. It means the Magic could pay him a maximum of about $15 million to begin his contract.

The club can't negotiate in earnest with other free agents until they decide make a quick decision on Milicic, forcing the Magic either to re-sign or sign and trade him to free up his "hold" number. Several teams already have called the Magic to explore a trade for Milicic either on draft day on June 28 (a deal would be announced in July) or during the free-agency period.

"I would not expect a sign-and-trade," Cornstein said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-magic03...orl-sports-headlines

I have a feeling Darko is going to stab us in the back and go for the big payday....

I hope he reconsiders and does what is best for the team.... But this is pro sports who doesnt follow the money trail. **** spoiled rich guys.

I love Darko, but I'm not sure about Howard and Darko together. I would be more sure if last year's coach played them together more, but that's moot now. I'm wondering how we get a decent point guard *and* the go-to scorer Otis thinks we need w/o sacrificing Darko. The obvious answer being we keep Darko no matter what and choose between PG and the go-to-savior... Which then makes me wonder, if we get a Vince Carter lets say, who is going to be the leader of the team? Vince? Dwight? Darko? I think all three of them envision themselves being "the franchise"... You appease all three how?

If Vince comes in Vince comes in knowing Dwight is the face of the francshise. And if Darki thiks he is going ot be the face of any franchise he is severely been mislead.

you two are overanalyzing this situation. Darko wants to be here that is all he has ever said. He hated Brian Hill for making him play in the post but as we saw in the playoffs he is good if you let him do what he does best. Billy D. will work wonders with him and Dwight. Just dont be so over dramtic when it comes to the Darko situation.

quote:
Originally posted by richnba:

If Vince comes in Vince comes in knowing Dwight is the face of the francshise. And if Darki thiks he is going ot be the face of any franchise he is severely been mislead.

True dat. I agree 100%. I guess if Darko resigns, it'll mean he knows it too.

quote:
Originally posted by christophergentry110401:

you two are overanalyzing this situation. Darko wants to be here that is all he has ever said. He hated Brian Hill for making him play in the post but as we saw in the playoffs he is good if you let him do what he does best. Billy D. will work wonders with him and Dwight. Just dont be so over dramtic when it comes to the Darko situation.

I don't blame him. I hate Brian Hill too. Hehe. And ps, I don't think I'm being over-dramatic... I just think that Darko wants to be a go-to guy and if that's the case, he may or may not be in the best situation to be that. But whatever, if he resigns with the Magic, I'll cheer as loudly as the rest of Darko Nation. I want him to succeed as much as anybody does.

Donovan showed at UF that he knows how to work two big men with differing skill sets seamlessly into an offense.

As I posted earlier, put Darko back on the perimeter and in the high post like the second half of 05-06 and allow he and Dwight to devlop a devistating high/low big man combo. Darko has plenty of range to hit that Ho Grant top of the key jumper and maybe even further out.

Reading between the lines in that article with his agent's comments, I don't think there would have been much chance of him re signing if Hill would have been retained and frankly I don't blame Darko. It's good to have him develop a post game but that doesn't mean you abondon what the guy does best which is shoot and pass from the perimeter.

IMO, Darko re signs in Orlando soon after he is able to. Dwight will sign his extension as soon as rules allow. They'll get their wing scorer and if that's Vince Carter he'll either take a hometown sweetheart discount to join something special, or Otis will get creative with trade possibilities. The Magic do have some nice pieces (i.e. Hedo, Dooling, Arroyo, Garrity's expiring deal, 3 2nd round picks, future 1st rounder) to get that scorer another avenue other than FA.

quote:
Originally posted by michelle7:

I'm wondering how we get a decent point guard *and* the go-to scorer Otis thinks we need w/o sacrificing Darko.

Easy.

1. Re-sign Darko

2. trade a couple assets to have enough to sign whatever FA we target

3. Let 'Meer be our starting PG. I think he'll improve greatly but don't forget we have a couple draft picks to find that missing piece.

quote:
I love Darko, but I'm not sure about Howard and Darko together.

Exactly what part of matching a powerful inside dunk machine with a finesse shooter-passer-blocker, who's a 7 footer, are you not sure about?

quote:
Billy D. will work wonders with him and Dwight.

When your right you are right. When Dwight commands a double team he dishes to Milicic an Milicic pulls out a no look pass to Redick an BAM!! We've got 3 more points.