Sign in to follow this  
Magic Fins

Official Game Thread: Magic @ Hawks, 2nd Round Game 3. 5/8/10

Wow! Where are all the Magic fans from last year?

Last year I was following almost every game thread and it would usually end up reaching 30-40 pages..

This is the first game thread I am reading this year and it is 6 pages?? a playoff game?? where did all the people go? another forum?

quote:
Originally posted by ironarrow:

Last year I was following almost every game thread and it would usually end up reaching 30-40 pages..

This is the first game thread I am reading this year and it is 6 pages?? a playoff game?? where did all the people go? another forum?

Wait until the ECF. As for now...what is there to say?

quote:
Originally posted by Darrell_Armstrong:

quote:
Originally posted by ironarrow:

Wait until the ECF. As for now...what is there to say?

ya, i used to be more chatty...but u really can't say much. there is no controversy on the team. there haven't been many bumps in the road. we are just steam rolling...so sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride icon_smile.gif

Stock Up for Doris Burke...Planet Pietrus; Classic!

Much better rotation from SVG! Is he reading my posts? No RA w/Gortat until the game was beyond over...let's hope he remembers not to play him beyond this series.

Defense, outstanding! Pietrus, nasty!

Shard was outstanding. Didn't somebody suggest he couldn't sustain this level of efficiency?

Barnes & Pietrus = two headed monster.

24 points on 9-19 & 4-8 shooting

8 rebounds

3 blocks

1 steal

0 turnovers

Series average:

18 pointts on 53% fg% & 53% 3-pt fg%

7 rebounds

1.3 steals

1 block

More importantly; Joe Johnson series ave.

12 points per game

28% fg%

18% 3-pt fg%

Memo to J-Will & Ryan Anderson, playoffs started 3 weeks ago. Any time you wanna join the team I'm sure they'd appreciate it...

Stock Up:

Rashard Lewis. (As Marc Jackson would say.. "Mama, there goes that man!" 22 points, 8 of 13 shooting, 4 of 7 from deep, made both his FTs, 5 boards, 2 assists, another block, only 1 turnover.. and finally he led the team in plus minus with a plus 30! An honorable mention goes to the ATL defense for apparently forgetting Shard plays for the Orlando Magic and, uh, therefore perhaps should play defense against the guy? Might be a good idea, I sure appreciate them not doing so though. I'm also sure Rashard feels the same way!)

Team Rebounding. (Talk about getting right back on the horse.. 51 rebounds to 34 in favor of the Magic.)

Turnovers. (We all know how loosey goosey the Magic can get with the ball. Well, how about only 7 turnovers tonight and only 15 in their last two games combined? That's San Antonio Spurs-esque. When they were winning championships, I mean.)

Matt Barnes. (Yay, a little offense to go with that great defense. And we should all take a moment to at least partially credit Mad for the complete disappearance of Joe Johnson. I think Mike Woodson is going to start putting him on milk cartons soon.

Anyway, 11 points on 5 of 9 shooting, 4 boards, 1 assist, 2 blocks, a steal, no turnovers.. nyce to see him contribute on both ends and had a great start to the game.)

The Entire Bench (including MP) (I tore them apart after their lackluster effort in Game 2, so I'll give them credit now on the bounceback. Another 13 points and 3 threes for MP, Redick made things happen with 8 points and 3 assists, Anderson & Gortat had 6 boards apiece, and even J-Will finally had a couple of good moments in this game. It was thanks to them VC only had to play 22-23 minutes, and Jameer only needed 29. Definitely worried a little less going into Game 4 as I was going into Game 3.)

Three Point Defense. (Only 4 of 15 from deep for ATL.. yes they missed some open shots, but a lot were contested. This is what they're going to need, especially if they end up facing the Cavs again. We beat them by 1. hitting threes and 2. not letting THEM hit threes. Gotta get back to that, and this is a great sign.)

Team Assists. (They slipped a little in Game 2, but got the ball movement revved up again with 21 assists in Game 3.)

Stock In The Middle:

Jameer Nelson. (14 points. 5 boards. 4 assists. NO turnovers. Ho hum. Another day at the office.)

Vince Carter. (How pitiful are things for the Atlanta Hawks right now? If Vince Carter had gone to happy hour in downtown ATL instead of his job tonight, the Orlando Magic STILL probably win by 20-25 points. Yep. Just kinda saving him for Cleveland. Or close 4th quarters, which are a mere myth in Orlando-ATL contests...)

Stock Down:

Joe Johnson. (Let's see. Start the year by saying your team mates need to step up. Continue to say so throughout the year. Then just when your team mates need you most? Just shoot 12 for 41 in the first three games of this version of ATL's most important playoff series yet.

Not exactly a how-to-do guide of how to earn an NBA max contract. I'm just sayin'.)

That's it. My apologies to all of you who said this would be a sweep, every game will be a blowout.. I thought was drinkin'-the-Magic-kool aid pillow talk, but apparently its just reality!

If ATL has the heart and desire to get this thing back to Orlando, then I haven't seen it yet. Heck, I didn't even see it against Milwaukee, really.

EDIT: Hey KITNO, I thought Stan was reading your posts too! Good call on Gortat/Shard & Dwight/Anderson. Let's hope it continues. (When you think about it, why play Anderson with anyone other than Dwight? Isn't Anderson here to space the floor FOR Dwight? Like, isn't that kinda the point? Why space the floor for Gortat? It's not like they ever give it to him in the post.)

WOW! We all know that Dwight can jump through the clouds, but DANG look at this photo!

04.jpg

For him, it's normal to be just flying around. He looks so casual there..

Holy schnikes!

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

EDIT: Hey KITNO, I thought Stan was reading your posts too! Good call on Gortat/Shard & Dwight/Anderson. Let's hope it continues. (When you think about it, why play Anderson with anyone other than Dwight? Isn't Anderson here to space the floor FOR Dwight? Like, isn't that kinda the point? Why space the floor for Gortat? It's not like they ever give it to him in the post.)

Agree completely. I posted a back handed compliment to RA back in Feb or so when he was in the midst of his slump. The stats clearly showed he doesn't have to hit shots to be effective, he just needs to be on the floor with Dwight, spacing the floor for Dwight.

When he's on the floor with Gortat or w/Dwight against teams that don't double Dwight...he's not an asset on the offensive end. Atl is staying at home on him and he's dumping it down to Dwight instead of taking contested jumpers...if he hadn't allowed 2 and 1's today with weak fouls I'd even say he played a solid game.

Nyce calls on the team rebounds & turnovers. Completely lost on me given the whoopin Orlando put on ATL.