Sign in to follow this  
Jekyll

Chant durning ECF

quote:
Originally posted by IronMaiden:

Also, regarding the Bill Simmons article that Lewis4thewin posted, I read it and the part about Howard seemed a bit ridiculous. The man admitted in the same paragraph that Dwight didn't deserve most of those fouls, but then went on to bash him about fouling too much. What?

Howard has come a long way on the offensive end. His problem is inconsistency. He turns it over too much in the post. Other than that, his baby hook has looked great, and his postup moves have gotten a lot better too. His good post work and positioning just rarely pays off because they bear hug him and he misses the free throws. Show em Dwight!

i think everything he said was a fair point. Most of the stuff he said we've already brought up in various threads this season.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:

Also, regarding the Bill Simmons article that Lewis4thewin posted, I read it and the part about Howard seemed a bit ridiculous. The man admitted in the same paragraph that Dwight didn't deserve most of those fouls, but then went on to bash him about fouling too much. What?

Howard has come a long way on the offensive end. His problem is inconsistency. He turns it over too much in the post. Other than that, his baby hook has looked great, and his postup moves have gotten a lot better too. His good post work and positioning just rarely pays off because they bear hug him and he misses the free throws. Show em Dwight!

i think everything he said was a fair point. Most of the stuff he said we've already brought up in various threads this season.

I don't think it's really fair. I got a negative vibe from him about Howard in that piece, and I don't see why. He's won DPOY twice in a row, is a force protecting the paint, is a monster rebounder, and his offense is pretty good and getting better all the time. The foul trouble is not his fault. Sure half of his fouls are stupid fouls that he should avoid, but the other half are completely bogus. For that matter, a lot of his technical fouls are pretty weak too. He should keep his mouth shut entirely, I will definitely agree with that, but I can't get on him too much for venting a little after putting up with what he's had to put up with. The free throws....well...he's just bad and always will be. The absolute best we can hope for in my opinion is 65%, and him knocking em down in clutch situations.

quote:
Originally posted by Bucktown:

I will start the New York Knicks chant, if you are there and you hear me, you know what to do.

I'll be o-zoning it and try to start it. If you're up there it's bound to catch on.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't think it's really fair. I got a negative vibe from him about Howard in that piece, and I don't see why. He's won DPOY twice in a row, is a force protecting the paint, is a monster rebounder, and his offense is pretty good and getting better all the time. The foul trouble is not his fault. Sure half of his fouls are stupid fouls that he should avoid, but the other half are completely bogus. For that matter, a lot of his technical fouls are pretty weak too. He should keep his mouth shut entirely, I will definitely agree with that, but I can't get on him too much for venting a little after putting up with what he's had to put up with. The free throws....well...he's just bad and always will be. The absolute best we can hope for in my opinion is 65%, and him knocking em down in clutch situations.

it wasn't negative at all. lets really break down what he says here.

1. Carter and Dwight (by virtue of not being on the court) didn't play well this series. People who commented on our depth being awesome were 100% correct as not many teams can get this kind of production from their top two players and win a series.

2. There's a belief that Dwight will make a jump into flat out dominance (no one can argue his potential to do so) but its not a given due to most big men hitting their prime around year 5

most of us magic fans expected him to begin to peak around this season. Two years ago we expected him to have a Tim Duncan level of post moves by this season.

The dumb fouls and letting his emotions get him technicals is something that will change as he becomes more of a veteran presence on the team.

He should have more post moves by now. He should have a higher ft%

Because he came straight out of high school into the NBA he's really only in year 2 or 3 compared to the other post players listed. That means essentially he has 1-3 more seasons to reach his statistical peak.

3. "The odds are much better that Howard is who he is at this point."

Who is dwight? What is he as a player? "If you're an Orlando fan, you know that you have the best rebounder/shot-blocker in the league -- by a decent margin, actually"

Dwight is the most dominant defensive force in this era. He's also a significantly better offensive force than guys like ben wallace and Mutombo. If we didn't have 4 offensive options on the court at any given time dwight could be averaging 24-28 ppg (as an incomplete offensive player!). We'd also be a significantly worse team though.

Even if Dwight never improves what we have is a guy who puts up between 19-22 ppg 13-15 rpg and 2-3 bpg. We have a franchise level player. We have a guy who can take us to the finals. We have a guy who can anchor the top defensive team in the league.

Simmons brings up negatives.

We cant run plays for him in the last couple minutes against teams like LA, cleveland with shaq, charlotte, etc. Teams that can foul him without a likely chance of a 3 point play.

whenever he gets fouled we expect 1 out of 2 fts to be made. Something that we cant have in close games.

We also worry about his ability to stay on the court due to foul trouble.

Howard is getting screwed by the refs but he should do something to change the way he plays because all indications show that the refs wont change the way they call a game to suit his complaints.

tl;dr version: Simmons says that we have amazing depth. Its hard to figure out if diwght's going to improve significantly because of his experience vs age. Dwight needs to figure out a way to stay on the court longer, even though he's being screwed by the refs, and improve his ft%

This is what most of us have discussed for a while so I dont really see how its being negative, its telling the truth.

Dwight's free throws aren't an issue. He's a better free throw shooter than Shaq ever was, and Shaq's free throws were never an issue. Hack-a-Shaq all you want, they still got three straight rings, which brings me to my next point:

Vince for Kobe

Get it done Otis.

Amen Lewis. I am now willing to forgive your absurd artichoke stance.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Amen Lewis. I am now willing to forgive your absurd artichoke stance.

we aren't on speaking terms

DON'T LET THE ARTICHOKE WAR SPREAD ACROSS THE REST OF THE FORUM. THE CONSEQUENCES WILL BE ON YOUR HEAD MR MODERATOR COOL GUY. K, TALK TO YOU LATER BROSEPH.