Sign in to follow this  
Darthmagic

Should the NBA increase the number of fouls allowed?

We know the league has given the offensive player every advantage, but should they start looking at giving the defense a chance to get catch up? Should they increase the number of fouls each player can commit during a game? It's by no mean s a "cure all" but it's really frustrating when your star player has to sit out for a period of time because he may foul while playing defense (or to a lesser degree offense).

Why not just penalize the team with a technical whenever a player commits more than 6 fouls? I'm sure there are other ways to address the issue as well, but i really think they should take a look at it.

We know the league has given the offensive player every advantage, but should they start looking at giving the defense a chance to get catch up? Should they increase the number of fouls each player can commit during a game? It's by no mean s a "cure all" but it's really frustrating when your star player has to sit out for a period of time because he may foul while playing defense (or to a lesser degree offense).

Why not just penalize the team with a technical whenever a player commits more than 6 fouls? I'm sure there are other ways to address the issue as well, but i really think they should take a look at it.

quote:
Originally posted by IronMaiden:

I think they should quit calling a foul every time an offensive player drives into the lane initiating the contact, looking for free throws.

So you think it's more about enforcing the correct rule than changing the amount of fouls? I can feel that. It's just sickening that a guy can't defend without being called for some silly fouls. Especially when the player is looking for a foul. It's almost like if a guy has the ball in his hands he becomes invincible.

quote:
Originally posted by Darthmagic:

quote:

I think they should quit calling a foul every time an offensive player drives into the lane initiating the contact, looking for free throws.

So you think it's more about enforcing the correct rule than changing the amount of fouls? I can feel that. It's just sickening that a guy can't defend without being called for some silly fouls. Especially when the player is looking for a foul. It's almost like if a guy has the ball in his hands he becomes invincible.

When you have a freak of nature like Lebron James, and he can get past his guy and into the lane whenever he wants, there's really no defense for him the way games are refereed. All he has to do is lower his shoulder and drive into Dwight a couple times, and whattya know, Dwight has to sit down on the bench. Even if Dwight is in position with his hands up, jumping straight up, going for the ball, if a player like James bulls into him and forces a collision, he's going to get the call 95% of the time.

quote:

I agree with this.

No...I think the refs need to stop trying to be a part of the game and just officate it. Watching last nights game...The officating was horrible. The calls were ridiculous and they know it. No professional ref would make those calls. After the scandal too...You either think its rigged or the refs just want to be a part of the game some how and bring emotion to the game in their own way. Either way, its watering the game and its turning my interests away.

quote:
Originally posted by Magicman28:

No...I think the refs need to stop trying to be a part of the game and just officate it. Watching last nights game...The officating was horrible. The calls were ridiculous and they know it. No professional ref would make those calls. After the scandal too...You either think its rigged or the refs just want to be a part of the game some how and bring emotion to the game in their own way. Either way, its watering the game and its turning my interests away.

That's because in the NBA, they ref the score, not the game. It's tragic.

Very tragic. After 20 years of watching basketball and sports in general athletes progress but the officating gets worse and they don't even try to hide it. Its like they are trying to insult the people who have followed it.