Sign in to follow this  
FENDI

Orlando banks on Twin Towers

quote:
ORLANDO - -- Money ultimately will be a deciding factor this summer when Darko Milicic becomes a restricted free agent and chooses a team for the next several years.

"It would be great to stay with Dwight and us play here the rest of our careers," Milicic said. "We're the same age, and it's up to us to determine just how good we can be someday. If we stay together and keep working hard, I think we can be really, really good together."

That's the plan at least among the Magic's brass. And after a summer in which the Magic hope to retain the 7-foot Milicic and sign the 6-foot-11 Howard to a five-year contract extension, Orlando is banking on having its own version of the Twin Towers anchoring the frontline for years to come.

quote:

"That was a great, great game for us," Milicic remembered. "We can be really good together, but how good is up to us. It will be determined by how hard we work and how we mesh together."

But when they are clicking together, their pairing of talent is almost a basketball version of the perfect storm.

At 268 pounds and rippling with muscles, Howard provides the power and the relentless rebounding the Magic rely on. And with his deft passing touch, ability to stretch defenses with his shooting stroke and defensive timing, it's Milicic who brings the finesse to counterbalance Howard's muscle and hustle.

"When we put our heads together and play physical, scoring the ball and playing defense, we can really do great things," Howard said. "This really is Darko's first year playing and the more confidence he gets . . . it will just open up things for the rest of us."

"It's sort of a chess match and it comes down to can my big guy guard their small guy?" Magic coach Brian Hill said. "That's one of the huge plusses with Darko because he can guard smaller guys. He can go out 18 feet and play the smaller (power forwards) off the dribble and in pick-and-roll situations. A lot of big guys can't do that, but Darko can."

"I try not to think about it," Milicic admitted. "I just want to play. I hope and I'd love to stay here, but if I'm not here, I just want to play basketball. Whether I'm here, Serbia or wherever, I just want to keep playing basketball."

Added Howard: "I really think he's going to be here. I'm not worried about Darko leaving. Darko's a great guy and we just want to keep him having fun. When he's enjoying the game of basketball, he's really good."

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...03080340/1002/SPORTS

quote:
ORLANDO - -- Money ultimately will be a deciding factor this summer when Darko Milicic becomes a restricted free agent and chooses a team for the next several years.

"It would be great to stay with Dwight and us play here the rest of our careers," Milicic said. "We're the same age, and it's up to us to determine just how good we can be someday. If we stay together and keep working hard, I think we can be really, really good together."

That's the plan at least among the Magic's brass. And after a summer in which the Magic hope to retain the 7-foot Milicic and sign the 6-foot-11 Howard to a five-year contract extension, Orlando is banking on having its own version of the Twin Towers anchoring the frontline for years to come.

quote:

"That was a great, great game for us," Milicic remembered. "We can be really good together, but how good is up to us. It will be determined by how hard we work and how we mesh together."

But when they are clicking together, their pairing of talent is almost a basketball version of the perfect storm.

At 268 pounds and rippling with muscles, Howard provides the power and the relentless rebounding the Magic rely on. And with his deft passing touch, ability to stretch defenses with his shooting stroke and defensive timing, it's Milicic who brings the finesse to counterbalance Howard's muscle and hustle.

"When we put our heads together and play physical, scoring the ball and playing defense, we can really do great things," Howard said. "This really is Darko's first year playing and the more confidence he gets . . . it will just open up things for the rest of us."

"It's sort of a chess match and it comes down to can my big guy guard their small guy?" Magic coach Brian Hill said. "That's one of the huge plusses with Darko because he can guard smaller guys. He can go out 18 feet and play the smaller (power forwards) off the dribble and in pick-and-roll situations. A lot of big guys can't do that, but Darko can."

"I try not to think about it," Milicic admitted. "I just want to play. I hope and I'd love to stay here, but if I'm not here, I just want to play basketball. Whether I'm here, Serbia or wherever, I just want to keep playing basketball."

Added Howard: "I really think he's going to be here. I'm not worried about Darko leaving. Darko's a great guy and we just want to keep him having fun. When he's enjoying the game of basketball, he's really good."

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/...03080340/1002/SPORTS

definitely a nice tandem hopefully we get to retain Darko this year. I don't see any problem with Dwight. He's as good as a Magic for the next 6 years.

Dream on FENDI. Magic org doesn't count on Darko, and he will be leave Orlando for sure. There is gone be only one loser when everything is said and done. Guess who would that be?

If and when the Magic decide to make the effort to keep Darko, he will stay. That effort would include some things like starting him; if they do not start him, make him a first or second scoring option; even if his first couple of shot attempts come up short, keep going to him; make some attempt to include him in the offense instead of him just setting picks.

Whether he is on or off on his first attempts, he scores most all of his points and sees the ball only in the first half. After that, he is not involved. If he is on one side, it is because he was kept over there out of the way so Grant, Hedo, or someone else can run a play.

He sets all these picks and never sees the ball back; he never has passes for dunks; when he pushes his man back, the other players just drive past him and score or get tangled up in the trees. NEVER gets a return pass.

When some of these things happen, he will be back. If they continue to ignore him, he will be gone.

Simple as that. Dwight was allowed to play through mistakes and still is. Darko is not.

By the way, great starting team tonight against the Raptors. NOT!!