Ryan the Magic Fan

Official Game Thread: Magic vs. Kittens Game 1 4/18 5:30p

quote:
Originally posted by sportsfanatic:

quote:
Originally posted by BillFan:

quote:
Originally posted by ButterMilkPancakes:

lol, the Bobcats attacked the ENTIRE game and the Magic turned into a complete jumpshooting team in the end of the 3rd and 4th, yet the refs are to award the jumpshooting team and NOT the team going to the rim in almost every possession...

Exactly... The Kittens never gave up there game plan to attack and eventually started to get the calls.

i do agree...but then i see VC drive or Barnes, and they get hacked and there's no call. So i dunno if they lose their motivation to drive bc the refs don't blow their whistles on our end it seems

Some more very valid points.

Also they called ticky tack fouls on jumpshooters - IE Gerald Walace drawing the foul from Vince but Pietrus shooting from off Gerald Wallace's back and not getting a call

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

lol, the Bobcats attacked the ENTIRE game and the Magic turned into a complete jumpshooting team in the end of the 3rd and 4th, yet the refs are to award the jumpshooting team and NOT the team going to the rim in almost every possession...

Exactly... The Kittens never gave up there game plan to attack and eventually started to get the calls.

i do agree...but then i see VC drive or Barnes, and they get hacked and there's no call. So i dunno if they lose their motivation to drive bc the refs don't blow their whistles on our end it seems

That's the ****ing problem... refs may miss a call on a drive but might make one later... the Bobkitties attacked the entire game. Howard got the best of them in the 1st half, but did they stop? Were they discouraged by lack of calls or getting owned by Howard? No... they kept attacking and it paid off. I think it's pretty bad that this team can seriously "stop attacking" because one one or two of their drives they didn't get a call (which could've gone either way).

I really hope SVG pulls Carter early if he does the same **** he did tonight.

wince.jpg

As you can see, he attacked the rim 4 times. He made 2 of those 4 shots (50%). The other 15 shots were either 3s, long 2s, or drifters (maybe a long floater or two). He went 2-13 from there. If the shot's not going in, you don't keep shooting the same shot with the thought it'll eventually go in... you continue to attack and get to the FT line/get easy layups. Carter was only sent to the line ONCE from a drive. The other trip was an offensive foul and there was a technical foul shot.

This was January Wince at his finest. He got out of that slump by doing what? Driving... it's not gonna change now. I hope SVG is ripping him a new one and preaching he needs to keep driving, because he's a great finisher around the rim and can kick it out to guys open.

I think its his ego. He'll keep taking ****ty jumpers because hes sure he'll start to hit them even though he oftem times doesn't. I'm sure if he turns in another ****ty performance like that on Weds, Stan will have to reel him in.

Its all in Vinces head. He'll come out of this BS game slump but only on his terms and on his time.Vince can be very frustrating to watch but when hes back, hes amazing. I just hope hes not the one that can't get it back and costs us the season. I also hope that Stan has the stones enough to bench his *** if hes not producing.

quote:
Originally posted by alexjbaum10:

What bothered me most wasn't vince's performance, but the fact he was sulking on the bench the rest of the 4th...the whole bench was standing and cheering the guys on while vince just sits there feeling bad for himself

I like that his playoff "intensity" displayed is around as long as HE is playing well

Look harder and you would have seen Dwight doing the same thing.

quote:
Originally posted by UBBALLER8:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Also they called ticky tack fouls on jumpshooters - IE Gerald Walace drawing the foul from Vince but Pietrus shooting from off Gerald Wallace's back and not getting a call

That was just a good play by Wallace. MP initiated and Wallace bent over. Hence, MP ended up shooting while laying on Wallaces back. That was a good non call iMO.

quote:
Originally posted by JamCity15:

quote:

What bothered me most wasn't vince's performance, but the fact he was sulking on the bench the rest of the 4th...the whole bench was standing and cheering the guys on while vince just sits there feeling bad for himself

I like that his playoff "intensity" displayed is around as long as HE is playing well

they do have a habit of getting down on themselves and taking themselves out of a game mentally...SVG or someone needs to help them snap out of it at times

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That was just a good play by Wallace. MP initiated and Wallace bent over. Hence, MP ended up shooting while laying on Wallaces back. That was a good non call iMO.

I'm fine with that being a no call.

Then don't call fouls on Jameer when Felton shoots a jumper and then kicks his feet out on the way down, and same goes for some Gerald Wallace shots.

quote:

quote:

saw that also, but hes always sulking...but still can be effective

Our bench showed up and preformed. Overall, I don't think the reffing was the MOST horrible I have seen, but I have some issues with consistency throughout the game.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm fine with that being a no call.

Then don't call fouls on Jameer when Felton shoots a jumper and then kicks his feet out on the way down, and same goes for some Gerald Wallace shots.

I don't know where you are going with this but the reffing wasn't a big geal to me. As BMP pointed out, the Kittens were playing much more aggressive than us and they didn't really get many calls in the 1st half. They started getting more of them in the 2nd and thats typical of a team that stays agressive.

quote:

quote:

quote:

they do have a habit of getting down on themselves and taking themselves out of a game mentally...SVG or someone needs to help them snap out of it at times

Those two are the biggest mental midgets. I have to agree that there is no reason they should of been just sitting there not celebrating made shots, or good defensive stops like the rest of the team. And Vince getting up to complain about a call is nothing new-he does that on the court as well.

My feeling is that if Carter does not step and play well during the playoffs, he is as good as gone. Not funny when Carter complains about a call, but it is really funny when that Old man complains about calls. It cracks me up.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

Last year the Magic would need 6 games to beat this team. This year's team is better and more focused. Magic in 5.

But it won't be easy, and Charlotte will make that clear in Game 1.

Charlotte 85

Orlando 92

POTG: Jameer. Just a gut feelin'.

I like when I'm right, at least about Game One anyway...

Alright, for the playoffs I'm bringing back an extremely simple version of..! (I'm not promising every game, only when I get time. Also I'm not scouring through all the stats like before, this is all based on eyeball tests)

Stock Up:

Jameer Nelson. (See that first half?? Yeah, KITNO's completely right about needing to find the mismatch more often, but other than that he was pretty awesome, even better than I was expecting. I was just thinking 20 points, 5 assists.. he sure did that and more!)

Dwight Howard. (At least two of his five fouls were complete and utter bullcrap, namely the first one and his fourth, so I'm not gonna blame him for being in foul trouble. He compltely pwned the paint, and watching Dwight and Gortat play defense in this game was like watching Peyton Manning for a half and then Ryan Leaf. There was no comparison. I'm not sure if that just highlights how dominant Dwight was, or how lackluster Gortat was. Maybe both. So while Dwight was on the floor, he was Bill Russell special out there. Also can't forget his big putback dunk late in the game, I think it made the game 87-80 Magic. Huge basket.

Best five point playoff performance ever? Yeah, I think so. Only exception to his SU being his free throws... come ON, dude.)

Rashard Lewis. (Yep, I'm thinking he cares more about the playoffs than the end of the season. There were times he still completely fell asleep in the rebounding department, making Gortat/Rashard a little hard to watch on the defensive end, however he shot well from the floor and made a HUGE three down the stretch. That and well, his defense wasn't atrocious. Hey, it's progress!)

Turnovers. (I think they only had 9 for the game, and a big key for this game was they held Charlotte to very low fast break points. Limiting Charlotte's opportunities to run is a underrated, but big key to winning this series for Orlando.)

Mickael "MVPietrus" Pietrus. (11 in the 2nd quarter + that very Pietrus-esque dagger of a three late in the game equals a Stock Up. You would like his perimeter defense (plus EVERYONE'S perimeter D) to be better, but it's certainly hard to complain tonight about what MP brought to the table.)

Stock Down:

Vince Carter. (This has already been pretty well covered in this thread so- ATTACK THE BASKET, VINCE!!! To be fair to him though, he had some seriously ticky tack-as-hell fouls called on him tonight. But that doesn't excuse the offense. Generally speaking, Jameer was good-aggressive. VC was bad-aggressive. Yes indeed, there are good shots and bad shots in basketball, in case anyone doubted that before this game.)

Marcin Gortat. (His defense, rebounding, and overall effort were terrible. I blame mostly him, especially on D, for why the Magic went from up 22 to only 10 in the third quarter. We would of been better off with Bass at center.. who cares if he doesn't usually block shots? It wasn't like Gortat was threatening anyone's shots in this game.. I could rant all day, but I'll just leave it here.)

Jason Williams. (I didn't think he provided much of anything in this game. You know it's pretty bad when Jameer Nelson pushes the pace faster than you.)

That's pretty much it, basically. The team went into 'Hero Syndrome" in the third quarter, gotta keep passing and trusting each other instead of "I got this!" basketball. Barnes, Anderson, & Redick all played just about their normal games IMO, so they're pretty much "Stock In The Middle."

THERE, I did some Stock Up, Stock Down.. sort of.. so leave me alone. smile_jameertongue.png