Sign in to follow this  
BMP

Magic's Van Gundy the perfect model of hoops coach

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/f...van.gundy/index.html

quote:
Really: He's shorter than his point guards, a bit rumpled-looking in suits that scream off-the-rack, has a worried expression on his face and moans for respect from the refs. Also, in interviews, he sometimes comes across as suspicious of "you guys" (reporters) and rarely laughs or shows a sense of humor, unless it's self-deprecating every now and then.

Self-deprecating... Interesting????

quote:
Basically, Van Gundy never seems to be satisfied or secure. And that's what makes him a good coach, and why his team is tearing through the home stretch as the playoffs draw near.

Never satisfied because he can't coach the team perhaps? Ha-Ha

quote:
"Miserable," he said. "It's been tiring. Always worried about the next game, next problem, you know, what needs to be corrected. That's just a personality problem, not a reflection of our team or our guys."

Maybe Stan is miserable with this team? Interesting?? Ha-Ha

quote:
"There's no problem," Howard said. "We're fine."

Isn't fine a woman's way of saying you're completely ****ed? HA-HA-HA-HA-HA

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/f...van.gundy/index.html

quote:
Really: He's shorter than his point guards, a bit rumpled-looking in suits that scream off-the-rack, has a worried expression on his face and moans for respect from the refs. Also, in interviews, he sometimes comes across as suspicious of "you guys" (reporters) and rarely laughs or shows a sense of humor, unless it's self-deprecating every now and then.

Self-deprecating... Interesting????

quote:
Basically, Van Gundy never seems to be satisfied or secure. And that's what makes him a good coach, and why his team is tearing through the home stretch as the playoffs draw near.

Never satisfied because he can't coach the team perhaps? Ha-Ha

quote:
"Miserable," he said. "It's been tiring. Always worried about the next game, next problem, you know, what needs to be corrected. That's just a personality problem, not a reflection of our team or our guys."

Maybe Stan is miserable with this team? Interesting?? Ha-Ha

quote:
"There's no problem," Howard said. "We're fine."

Isn't fine a woman's way of saying you're completely ****ed? HA-HA-HA-HA-HA

I am at most of the home games and in Stan's press conferences and I don't recognize this guy. So, I'm not sure he is providing us with a ton of first hand experience unless he follows the team on the road. But in general, he is accurate.

Knocking him for wearing off the rack suits makes no sense to me. If he is meaning that someone making over a million a year should be wearing custom tailored suits, then he should say so. Otherwise, it is an insult to the vast majority of normal people for whom custom tailored suits are prohibitively expensive. In my day job I have to dress up pretty much every day and I also travel frequently. So, I'm often in suits. There is no way I could afford multiple custom suits. Frankly, some of the off the rack stuff is just as good as the material the suits are tailored from.

I think the guy was just saying that he doesn't church it up. You know he could afford tailored suits but doesn't bother.

but dang LOD you took offense at that suit comment.. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Orl Native:

I think the guy was just saying that he doesn't church it up. You know he could afford tailored suits but doesn't bother.

but dang LOD you took offense at that suit comment.. icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I guess I did. Just a little.