Sign in to follow this  
Optimist Prime

Rookie Transition Program

My link

It's pretty cool that the league is doing things like this. I'm sharing this on the Magic board because there's a lengthy quote from Harkless (since he missed last year's program) and the last half of the article is basically about how J.J. did a lot to help each of the rookies on the team with finances and giving advice. It made me miss J.J. and somehow gain even more respect for a guy I already think of very highly.

Shabazz you're going to be a great one to watch. Can you say train wreck.

Just cuz he brought a female friend? At least he wasn't hot boxing the hotel room like Beasley and Chalmers did (which is way worse/stupid).

Just cuz he brought a female friend? At least he wasn't hot boxing the hotel room like Beasley and Chalmers did (which is way worse/stupid).

Yes but its not like Beasley turned out well either.

Yes but its not like Beasley turned out well either.

so...failing the rookie transition program is a strong indicator of NBA success? Mind you, only Beasley and Chalmers (I think) have ever been kicked out of the program. And Chalmers has had a respectable career so even then it's stupid to make that conclusion.

so...failing the rookie transition program is a strong indicator of NBA success? Mind you, only Beasley and Chalmers (I think) have ever been kicked out of the program. And Chalmers has had a respectable career so even then it's stupid to make that conclusion.

I'm not saying that at all, I'm not even trying to say he will be a train wreck. I was only saying that your example why he wasn't going to be a train wreck isn't really that solid either.

I'm not saying that at all, I'm not even trying to say he will be a train wreck. I was only saying that your example why he wasn't going to be a train wreck isn't really that solid either.

Did you completely miss the last post?

If Muhammad becomes a "train wreck" it won't be because he missed some rookie event. Unless you want to demonstrate how missing this event leads to players f***ing up I don't need to say anything else. I've already discussed the two players that did miss it. If all you have is Beasley then that's clearly the exception.

Did you completely miss the last post?

If Muhammad becomes a "train wreck" it won't be because he missed some rookie event. Unless you want to demonstrate how missing this event leads to players f***ing up I don't need to say anything else. I've already discussed the two players that did miss it. If all you have is Beasley then that's clearly the exception.

Well obviously there were players that have done the same and behaved the rest of their careers so far but I was just saying on the other side there was a player who did turn into a train wreck. I don't want to speak for Spaceman but I imagine it was only a prediction and obviously missing the rookie event doesn't automatically mean someone is a train wreck but I imagine Spaceman was justifying his prediction due to the issues with Muhammad's behaviour before this event as well.

Obviously there is no hard evidence to justify his prediction but at least he has some means despite the fact you don't agree that they truly indicate what kind of player he will become but that's fine you don't have to. I view this as no different to myself saying the Miami Heat will three-peat this season, sure I don't have any hard evidence to suggest that is the definite outcome but I would justify it by saying they've won the last two seasons but then evidence similar to yours in this situation would show the Lakers won two and couldn't three-peat in 2008-2010 so many people probably wouldn't agree. Am I making sense or just rambling?

Well obviously there were players that have done the same and behaved the rest of their careers so far but I was just saying on the other side there was a player who did turn into a train wreck. I don't want to speak for Spaceman but I imagine it was only a prediction and obviously missing the rookie event doesn't automatically mean someone is a train wreck but I imagine Spaceman was justifying his prediction due to the issues with Muhammad's behaviour before this event as well.

Obviously there is no hard evidence to justify his prediction but at least he has some means despite the fact you don't agree that they truly indicate what kind of player he will become but that's fine you don't have to. I view this as no different to myself saying the Miami Heat will three-peat this season, sure I don't have any hard evidence to suggest that is the definite outcome but I would justify it by saying they've won the last two seasons but then evidence similar to yours in this situation would show the Lakers won two and couldn't three-peat in 2008-2010 so many people probably wouldn't agree. Am I making sense or just rambling?

You think the Heat will 3-peat based on their production on the court.

Why is Muhammad not being looked at in the same light? He hasn't played a single NBA minute (no, summer league doesn't count). So how anyone can say one way or the other is just premature. Quite simply, if he flames out it won't be because of things like this but his (inability) to play basketball.

You think the Heat will 3-peat based on their production on the court.

Why is Muhammad not being looked at in the same light? He hasn't played a single NBA minute (no, summer league doesn't count). So how anyone can say one way or the other is just premature. Quite simply, if he flames out it won't be because of things like this but his (inability) to play basketball.

Ah I didn't realise this was your point. I don't quite agree completely that its relies completely on his ability to play basketball as there are players that possess the ability to play at a high standard yet don't reach that measure because of their attitude. I would agree that it matters largely on his production on the court meaning that if his attitude doesn't effect how he plays basketball and his misbehaviours stay off court (and not in the locker room) then he will be fine BUT in my opinion as long as he meets a certain standard as in he can't be another player off the bench because I don't believe many teams will be willing to put up with it if he can be easily replaced.

But surely if you looked at Muhammad in that light you'd make a prediction based off his college career and he did have issues there too, he wasn't exactly a team player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqoIq2mKfc0

Again it doesn't supply anyone with any strong evidence that he will flame out in the NBA so of course not everyone will agree but I find it to hold some kind of merit.