Sign in to follow this  
30Assists

The Laimbeer Party.

The reason college coaches are so bad in the NBA is because most of them take crappy teams and are expected to return them to glory and these coaches think they can do it, but they realize rebuilding a pro team is not like rebuilding a college team and they leave.

Billy D., will be taking over a playoff team that is on the verge of being real good. So I think it will be a different situation for Donovan

Out of my self-induced abiding to interject one lil fact to think about...

Lets all remember that Bill L. was one of the biggest floppers, red-faced, whinning, crybaby, punching bag c-smokers to ever "grace" the b-ball court....

we just rid ourselves of a shorter version of that kinda personality...

I hate the Lambeer choice as about as much as I hate the PJ choice....

Back to abiding....

I guess the difference in how you see Lambs is whether you rooted for his team or for teams he provoked and discombobulated into submission. He was a player who made the most of his talents and even though he did not have leaping ability and speed, made a very long and successful career in the NBA.

He stood up for his teammates (like taking the Mailman out for what he did to Isiah) and was in most ways a very good player. Mixed in with his basketball talents, his mental toughness and tenacity would serve him well in coaching.

I find it very petty to be putting him down for coaching in the WNBA. That seems to be better to me than being an assistant in the NBA, preaching some other coach's philosophy instead of his own. And coaching in college does not seem to translate that well in the NBA.

I am convinced that Bill Laimbeer should have been made the coach of the Pistons this last coaching change, and since he was not, it just leaves him available to the Magic.

Okay, I realize that women's sports don't get a whole lot of credit, but Laimbeer took over a mediocre team and took it to the championship. And won.

I certainly wasn't his biggest fan as a player, but he won.

Say what you want about Billy D - I'd love to have him as a Magic coach, but he's not leaving the Gators. He just isn't going to do it.

As far as SVG goes, I'm not convinced - he could never quite get the Heat over the hump and there wasn't exactly a player outcry when he left.

quote:

As far as SVG goes, I'm not convinced - he could never quite get the Heat over the hump and there wasn't exactly a player outcry when he left.

I read somewhere that hes one of the VERY few coaches to improve a teams record by 15 wins in two consecutive seasons, and the only to do a 17 game improvement the first and then another 17 game improvement the next - Im almost 100% thats what they said, i may need to re-look that up...

but anyway - I think the Donovan deal is done...and if not Id like it to go SVG...eff Laim'er

Eff him indeed, Dude. Guess it doesn't matter since we got Billy D. Wow - the Magic actually accomplished something in the offseason that didn't involve sending a star to some other team to win a championship! Yay us!