Sign in to follow this  
Soul Bro

What is Missing?

It seems like something is missing with this year's team. Even with VC beginning to play good ball, we still sometimes go flat.

For me, I think we're missing a defensive presence at the point guard position. Additionally, I think we're missing a defensive power forward.

Honestly, what do you guys think? Solutions?

It seems like something is missing with this year's team. Even with VC beginning to play good ball, we still sometimes go flat.

For me, I think we're missing a defensive presence at the point guard position. Additionally, I think we're missing a defensive power forward.

Honestly, what do you guys think? Solutions?

We're missing that swagger we had last year. Last year, we could go into anybody's building, play any team, and know we could come out with a W. Until we get on a roll and start getting things going, we won't have that. We have the talent to beat any team in the league, they just got to start being confident, and believing in themselves.

I think all of the pieces are here, they just have to play up to their level.

Last night we defended well enough, we just couldn't hit a shot. People that normally shoot well didn't so we lost. Even if they shot half as well as normal we still could have won. It's been weird like that all year, it's like the entire team has taken turns playing below their level. We are just now starting to see our main pieces play at their average (or in Dwights case, kick it up a notch) so I would guess that they will get it together soon enough.

Now whether that is enough to win a title, I'm not sure.

Heart and desire. We tend to roll over this year and take a nap. Never really saw that last year. It isn't the forward because that hasn't changed. Alston however was a totally different player than Nelson and a better defender, but not that much better. As of Barnes is about as good a defender as Lee was and Turk=Carter on defense. Only difference is that Turk was longer.

Yea, I think a lot of people were convinced that Vince was the answer we needed because of his high flying style and easy ability to score. However, even though Vince is a great player and I am glad he is on the team, since essentially swapping him for Turk, teams match up better against us. THE Magic used to be this team that was very hard to match up with 2 6'10 guys and a 6'11 Center. Not many people were going to find that.

I think that might be a bigger problem than people realize. We are just an easier team to match up with on paper. Nelson's injury prone self is hurting us too. I saw him in the Dallas game last night holding his wrist. I'm not saying we need to trade him (actually I am) but I will agree that something is off from last years team.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

I think all of the pieces are here, they just have to play up to their level.

Last night we defended well enough, we just couldn't hit a shot. People that normally shoot well didn't so we lost. Even if they shot half as well as normal we still could have won. It's been weird like that all year, it's like the entire team has taken turns playing below their level. We are just now starting to see our main pieces play at their average (or in Dwights case, kick it up a notch) so I would guess that they will get it together soon enough.

Now whether that is enough to win a title, I'm not sure.

Well said. Sums it up for me.

I would add that Stan didn't have that good a game last night. The bench was off but he still went full throttle with them in the fourth quarter.

I cut Stan an enourmous amount of slack. No one is perfect but I like him more than anyone we've ever had. He's cost us less games than most of our players but yesterday was not his best work.

What is missing IMO is a substitution pattern where at least 2-3 starters remain on the floor at all times. I am not a fan of Stan emptying our bench entirely to rest all 5 starters at the same time. Roster components just need to be integrated better, plain and simple.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

What is missing IMO is a substitution pattern where at least 2-3 starters remain on the floor at all times. I am not a fan of Stan emptying our bench entirely to rest all 5 starters at the same time. Roster components just need to be integrated better, plain and simple.

I'm a big Stan fan but I agree with this one, it really stood out last night. We had Williams, Pietrus, Anderson, JJ, and Gortat on the floor and couldn't buy a bucket. Most of the time at least one of those guys is hitting so it isn't a big deal but last night was the exception. We should have had Shard, Dwight, or Vince out there with that unit when it was clear it wasn't working.

quote:
Originally posted by Marc Acres 3:16:

I'm a big Stan fan but I agree with this one, it really stood out last night. We had Williams, Pietrus, Anderson, JJ, and Gortat on the floor and couldn't buy a bucket. Most of the time at least one of those guys is hitting so it isn't a big deal but last night was the exception. We should have had Shard, Dwight, or Vince out there with that unit when it was clear it wasn't working.

You just don't let your opponent go on a game changing 19-0 run without making substantial, wholesale changes to your lineup. The one thing we have is plenty of depth, so there should never really be a time when a particular lineup is left on the floor for extended minutes while struggling mightily.

I also think that not having a defensive PF or PG is really hurting us. The offensive production of our opponents at those two positions has been enormously disproportionate to our own production.