Sign in to follow this  
Ned Ryerson

Bianchi vs. firebrianhill.org

Mike did email me back which I appreciate but his response was pretty vanilla but think it says something. To me it says I will continue to get my mouth fed by the Magic and use slanted journalism to try and prove my point. BTW I thought I gave it to him pretty good but Knappy really lays into him.

Sorry you didn't like the article. I was just trying to compare the younger Internet fans to the old-school fans of yesteryear. Winsor seems like decent individual and I'm sure he likes the Magic. That doesn't mean I agree with his website.

_ Mike

AWESOME IDEA GUYS! But with that said do you really think he is going to challenge you or us regulars to Orlando Magic knowledge and "how to be a fan". He would be stupid to accept it, this is one of the most knowlegable and well rounded group on any forums anywhere. I hope he accepts for the shere fact that he doesnt know the fans feelings, our feelings, and will show Sentinal readers and us exaclty how big of an *** he is.

Hey bianchi's hands are tied. Face it any inside scoop from the organization will be cut off instantly if he wrote an article entitled..."Brian hill is the worst coach in the NBA." He would then have no scoop and would need to find another job. Maybe he could try to change careers and get a job in the movie biz 3000 miles away...

To Bianchi's defense...he did broach the subject that the fans are getting miffed at the coaching and the management...anything more and he would cut off positive relations with the magic.

quote:
Originally posted by weezt0e:

You know what would be great? If it was in column form and it went in the sentinel, side by side. Then people who read the article could vote at the sentinel website. As I have said before, I studied journalism in college, so if I put my mind to it , I can bang out a decent article. (Plus I have all of you as editors, which is a HUGE advantage.)

The thing is you should cc all the other sports writers when communicating with Bianchi or anyone else as one of the other guys could pick it up and run with it. The request for the debate - any way to draw attention to the fact that many fans are getting restless with Brian Hill as our coach - he may be a great guy, but many, including me - surprise, hate him as our coach. Any publicity at all will help put pressure on the owners to do something.

I would debate Brian Hill as long as a couple of you were with me. I'd explain the trauma my dog went through when I could not stop screaming at the TV on away games whenever Hill put in Garrity - the dog shook I was yelling so loud and I couldn't help myself. Could I sue for that? My girlfriend is an attorney - I should ask her.

First of all, complaining about journalistic integrity out of a small market sports writer is a bit of a reach. It's not like he's reporting daily from the Libby trial. Second of all, he's right. Attacking a second year coach who's improved the teams record is the same kind of quick fix bull**** that a lot of whiny fans engage in nowadays. Patience is key with a young group of players, and it's clear that constant change that the Magic have faced over the past few years accounts for a lot of troubles we've had. I'm not the biggest fan of Brian Hill either (his rotations suck, he doesn't rest players in blowouts, Ariza pratically got killed when we had a 20-point lead vs. the Bucks, and he's simply not great at changing course mid-game), but still, people like Weez would probably be complaining even if we summoned Red's ghost to coach the Magic down the stretch run.

And don't act like you weren't as pleased as hell to see Bianchi mention your name (in fact, he probably just furthered your cause by writing that articale). Frankly, it is kind of annoying to hear whining from 3000 miles away. And you can't tell me that you're the better fan than the fan he talked about in the article.

quote:
Originally posted by Tough Break There:

First of all, complaining about journalistic integrity out of a small market sports writer is a bit of a reach. It's not like he's reporting daily from the Libby trial. Second of all, he's right. Attacking a second year coach who's improved the teams record is the same kind of quick fix bull**** that a lot of whiny fans engage in nowadays. Patience is key with a young group of players, and it's clear that constant change that the Magic have faced over the past few years accounts for a lot of troubles we've had. I'm not the biggest fan of Brian Hill either (his rotations suck, he doesn't rest players in blowouts, Ariza pratically got killed when we had a 20-point lead vs. the Bucks, and he's simply not great at changing course mid-game), but still, people like Weez would probably be complaining even if we summoned Red's ghost to coach the Magic down the stretch run.

And don't act like you weren't as pleased as hell to see Bianchi mention your name (in fact, he probably just furthered your cause by writing that articale). Frankly, it is kind of annoying to hear whining from 3000 miles away. And you can't tell me that you're the better fan than the fan he talked about in the article.

You to may belong to that 10% - I am glad the guy stands up for what he believes - I have to believe that I may be the most vocal and obnoxious or among the most vocal and obnoxious. I love these players that we have - the coach is killing us. I want to speak out - if there is a pink elephant in the living room -you know what - you say that there is a pink elephant you don't pretend it doesn't exist. We have good players and after we get Vince we will have better players - BHill probably can't exist with Vince long, but if they make us go through another season with BHill - I am done as a season ticket holder. I may have to watch on TV if they get really good since I gave them up.

I would love nothing more than Brian Hill to prove me wrong, but it is not likely to happen as he is just a bad coach - Tough Break - Brian Hill is the problem - I guess you just can't see it. If Phoenix was 8th in the playoff race because they had Brian Hill they would be going crazy, because they have a lot of talent and should have the record they do. Our team plays way below their ability. This team should have won 50 games - and I am not blaming the players.

Man, I just wanted to come to the message board to browse for a few minutes, but that plan was thrown to the fire when I read that Bianchi article. Those few minutes turned into a little writing assignment for me. Taking a media class recently, you just become more conscious of what happens and what they do. Here's what I posted on the comments page you can leave after reading the article:

------------Begin Comment Paste

Oh my god..

First, I am not one of the Brian Hill hate-fanatics as one might put it. Even so, I found your article very distasteful and made me grimace in disgust throughout.

Taking from my media class at UCF..

The media often times will present only a narrow view, a slice of the whole loaf of information, to fit and agree with whatever view that the writers or TV producers want to get across. What view?? Their view. It seems to me that this writer went and interviewed the man without any plan whatsoever of even listening objectively to what the man had to say. What was he listening to then?? Well, only bits and segments that he deemed to be the juicy bits he could use to throw out of the whole context to fit the message that the writer wanted to get across. The message of: Hey, don't be like this jack@$$ of a fan like Winsor and never find fault with the Magic! Sorry to say Winsor, but he was never listening to what you were trying to ultimately say, just segments he could use. Basically, selective hearing (the cousin of selective attention).

Furthermore, the writer's lame tactics were quite obvious and easy to notice. This writer was using 'narratives' to bring down Mr. Winsor whether he consciously decided to do it or not (if the writer consciously did this, then he is an even bigger dirtbag than previously thought). Anyhow, narratives are basically pre-made, recurring social roles, characters and/or story lines. When we look to our movies, just think of 'The Corrupt Lawyer'. You already don't have to watch the movie/TV show when they introduce this character. You already know through the recurring use of this character throughout every media form what this guy does, how he acts, how he looks like. You automatically know that his costume is the expensive suit and tie with his office of evil and that he is smart, greedy, bends words, coddles the criminal, lies, etc etc. All that in a few seconds!

The narrative being used here? Tiny bit multi-faceted, but what it boils down to is the old and young narrative. You all know the story quite well I'm sure. "Everything was better before, everything is worse now." "Why...when I was your age!!" "What is the world coming to, young people these days just don't have the superior moral sense of the last generation."

You all think it was any mistake that this great article writer chose the 'wise' 80-something year old octogenarian to contrast to the 'know-nothing' 20 year old young guy?? He knew it would automatically trigger that narrative of how they all just knew how to act right, in all aspects of life back in the day as compared to now. What's even more dangerous and devious is the fact that for the most part, many people will have this narrative activated when they are used and not know the narrow view it brings along with it. In addition, he seemed to throw in that Hollywood, California location thing to add in an additional message and narrative that Winsor is one of THOSE guys/girls that naively go to Hollywood on a longshot and are without direction. So being like that, how could Winsor know anything right??

OK, a bit of inference in the Hollywood thing, but the 80 and 20 year old dichotomy bull he was trying to pull was painfully obvious.

Mr. Bianci, I hope you stick to writing your crap in the opinions section where not even 5 year olds will be tricked into thinking you write news and present impartial information.

---------------

-Charlius-

quote:
You to may belong to that 10% - I am glad the guy stands up for what he believes - I have to believe that I may be the most vocal and obnoxious or among the most vocal and obnoxious. I love these players that we have - the coach is killing us. I want to speak out - if there is a pink elephant in the living room -you know what - you say that there is a pink elephant you don't pretend it doesn't exist. We have good players and after we get Vince we will have better players - BHill probably can't exist with Vince long, but if they make us go through another season with BHill - I am done as a season ticket holder. I may have to watch on TV if they get really good since I gave them up.

I would love nothing more than Brian Hill to prove me wrong, but it is not likely to happen as he is just a bad coach - Tough Break - Brian Hill is the problem - I guess you just can't see it. If Phoenix was 8th in the playoff race because they had Brian Hill they would be going crazy, because they have a lot of talent and should have the record they do. Our team plays way below their ability. This team should have won 50 games - and I am not blaming the players.

I sort of agree with you Knappy. And like I said, I don't like Brian Hill, and I do think he is holding this team back. But for me, there's just something that doesn't sit well when someone watching in California starts whining and making websites about a team that he just doesn't have local knowledge off. You just can't convince me, even in the age of the web, that people 3000 miles away from a home team city can get the proper feel of a team compared to a local. Not that their in any way less of a fan, just that they don't have the depth necessary to start a website like this.

And I'm sick of people getting on Bianchi's journalistic credentials. He's a sports writer, not a journalist. And he graduated from Florida (a good "journalism" school), so I'm sure he's good enough to cover the local Orlando sports column a few times a week.

quote:
You all think it was any mistake that this great article writer chose the 'wise' 80-something year old octogenarian to contrast to the 'know-nothing' 20 year old young guy?? He knew it would automatically trigger that narrative of how they all just knew how to act right, in all aspects of life back in the day as compared to now.

No ****, Charlius. It's called making an argument. It's an opinion column, not a news story. He can say whatever he wants. I'm sure you're much wiser with your media class than a guy that's been writing articles in major metropolitan newspaper for years.

quote:
there's just something that doesn't sit well when someone watching in California starts whining and making websites about a team that he just doesn't have local knowledge off. You just can't convince me, even in the age of the web, that people 3000 miles away from a home team city can get the proper feel of a team compared to a local. Not that their in any way less of a fan, just that they don't have the depth necessary to start a website like this.

Well if Bianchi wasn't such an ethically questionable journalist, he would have mentioned that I lived in Central Florida practically MY ENTIRE LIFE! I only moved to LA 2 years ago. My entire family lives in Orlando. I even bought a 4 game ticket plan for my uncle and his young son. I go to 4 games every year. I own my own home in Tampa. I lose my right to complain simply because I cannot work in Orlando?

Well, in the future you are no longer allowed to critique movies or televsion shows. You can't possibly have the "depth necessary" to understand them on the same level, as they are all produced in LA. You are 3000 miles away. How could you possibly understand? Just enjoy them (or don't) but don't voice an opinion.

quote:
No ****, Charlius. It's called making an argument. It's an opinion column, not a news story. He can say whatever he wants.

He has a right to an opinion, but he does not have the right to skew the facts in order to support his opinion. He also claimed to be writing an article on "fandom" when he asked to interview me. He did not say he was writing an opinion piece.