Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Reason why Bass doesn't play (R. Bucher, ESPN)

Sorry but we are winning! You don't mess with anything! No one changes positions and Redick still comes off the bench. I not saying that Bass won't see the floor but I would be shocked to see SVG messes with any huge line up change.

quote:
Originally posted by the anchovie:

Sorry but we are winning! You don't mess with anything! No one changes positions and Redick still comes off the bench. I not saying that Bass won't see the floor but I would be shocked to see SVG messes with any huge line up change.

I think the problem with Stan is, he's too set in his ways. No matter the matchup, Stan is going to go with Anderson off the bench. In the offseason everyone said we needed Bass to help matchup with teams with size like the Lakers and Celtics, well in the four games we've played against them he's racked up a DNP-CD every single time. Why do we need four shooters to stretch the floor and give space inside when Gortat is on the floor? He's not the centerpiece of our offense, Stan could find ways to get Bass and Gortat on the floor together. It would make it difficult for the opponenet to score in the post, and Bass could hit some outside jumpers and give energy off the bench instead of letting his talents rot on the bench.

We have a logjam of talent at PF, we could be an extremly versatile team if we chose to, but Stan is too caught up in the 3 point shooting hooplah, so we are letting money and talent rot on the sidelines every single night.

Btw, I love Ryan Anderson....but Stan could be a little more creative with his lineups and find ways to use Bass.

quote:
Originally posted by Miller4Prez64:

quote:

I think the problem with Stan is, he's too set in his ways. No matter the matchup, Stan is going to go with Anderson off the bench. In the offseason everyone said we needed Bass to help matchup with teams with size like the Lakers and Celtics, well in the four games we've played against them he's racked up a DNP-CD every single time. Why do we need four shooters to stretch the floor and give space inside when Gortat is on the floor? He's not the centerpiece of our offense, Stan could find ways to get Bass and Gortat on the floor together. It would make it difficult for the opponenet to score in the post, and Bass could hit some outside jumpers and give energy off the bench instead of letting his talents rot on the bench.

We have a logjam of talent at PF, we could be an extremly versatile team if we chose to, but Stan is too caught up in the 3 point shooting hooplah, so we are letting money and talent rot on the sidelines every single night.

Btw, I love Ryan Anderson....but Stan could be a little more creative with his lineups and find ways to use Bass.

I like everyone to play too. But the Magic have so much talent and Stan is only going to play 10 guys most nights. So someone is out. The only way Bass plays is for rebounding and defense. But his defense is not great so it makes the decision easier. I like Bass but I see Stan's perspective with 4 shooters and how he is playing Bass. Also the offense has been running through Dwight so you need guys around the perimeter and not clogging up the paint.

I know, which is why I said he should play Bass with Gortat....we don't need to spread the floor with him out there The four shooters is nice and it works to perfection against some teams (Cleveland), but it's not going to work against others (Boston, LA).

I just think Stan could be a little more creative to find ways to get guys playing time.

quote:

quote:

Care to name some examples of that strategy working?

not spreading the floor is one reason he doesn't get time. But Bass also doesn't play because he frequently finds himself rotating into lala land.

I thought the addition of him would be great, I like many here wanted a 'banger' inside, but lets all be honest he doesn't fit easily into this system. We have to 'jam' him in our rotation to get him to fit.

I say this not only because he can't shoot a 3(not a huge deal, Battie couldn't shoot 3's) It more to me that he hasn't shown that he can relieve Howard at the 5 spot real well.

In all honesty, if were going to have a guy out there at the 4 who can't shoot long distance, lets put in Gortat. He and Howard will just rack up blocks together.

quote:

you and the 3 other posters who jump on SVG mainly because your Bass dreams have failed need to realize that your assumption as to WHY Bass isn't getting playing time is just THAT, a HUGE assumption.

If your going to make an assumption about one of those guys(SVG or Bass) make it about Bass, assume that he's not up to par instead of assuming that a coach whom has brought us the greatest success we've had ever(we all know Brian Hill wasn't a great coach) is blowing it.

quote:
Originally posted by FloridianaJones:

quote:

you and the 3 other posters who jump on SVG mainly because your Bass dreams have failed need to realize that your assumption as to WHY Bass isn't getting playing time is just THAT, a HUGE assumption.

If your going to make an assumption about one of those guys(SVG or Bass) make it about Bass, assume that he's not up to par instead of assuming that a coach whom has brought us the greatest success we've had ever(we all know Brian Hill wasn't a great coach) is blowing it.

I like Stan a lot, I'm a fan of him. But he gets caught up in spreading the floor too much. Bass is a good player and there is ways we can use his talents, but we just let them go to waste.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by FloridianaJones:

quote:

I like Stan a lot, I'm a fan of him. But he gets caught up in spreading the floor too much. Bass is a good player and there is ways we can use his talents, but we just let them go to waste.

That just isn't an argument following a season where he lead the third seed to the NBA Finals and looks like he has an even better liklihood of doing so this season.

quote:

I know, which is why I said he should play Bass with Gortat....we don't need to spread the floor with him out there The four shooters is nice and it works to perfection against some teams (Cleveland), but it's not going to work against others (Boston, LA).

I just think Stan could be a little more creative to find ways to get guys playing time.

You mean like putting Gortat on the floor against Boston, with Dwight, late in the game? I still think we would have won that last home game against Boston is Stan had done that...

That Boston game proves my point about the stretch four not working that well against them. They were kicking our asses for 3 quarters until we tried the Twin Towers, in the offseason we said we needed Bass for those teams that the stretch four don't cause problems for.

I just think Stan could find more ways to use Bass.