Sign in to follow this  
Magicprfan

Arroyo improving

Arroyo improving

One guy who has done his part to cut down the turnovers recently has been backup point guard Carlos Arroyo, whose play has improved considerably. Although the Magic continue to lead the NBA in turnovers, Arroyo has avoided most of them. In the past seven games, Arroyo has had 11 assists and only three turnovers combined. "My job is to take care of the ball,'' he said after practice Tuesday. "If you're turning the ball over, you're not giving your team a good chance to win. I've really focused on that recently.''

Info appears at the end of the news

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/bask...?coll=orl-magic

Arroyo improving

One guy who has done his part to cut down the turnovers recently has been backup point guard Carlos Arroyo, whose play has improved considerably. Although the Magic continue to lead the NBA in turnovers, Arroyo has avoided most of them. In the past seven games, Arroyo has had 11 assists and only three turnovers combined. "My job is to take care of the ball,'' he said after practice Tuesday. "If you're turning the ball over, you're not giving your team a good chance to win. I've really focused on that recently.''

Have'nt seen one of these in a while.

Yes, Arroyo is back to his average play but he still needs 5 or so games to prove to me that he has full confidence in himself once again.

He's playing is great for now but he needs to be "efficient" for the rest of the season if the Magic want to make the playofff.

Carlos has played well lately, cutting down on his turnovers. However, his shot selection is still suspect. It might not be counted as a turnover, but dribbling up and shooting a fade away jumper with 20 left on the shot clock has the same result.

I am glad he is playing better. I am also glad that he seems to be looking to score less and less, and trying to involve the team more.

BUT he still takes some bad shots. I don't mind him doing it, when there's not much time left on the clock, or if he is just completely open. But bringing down the ball and just shooting it with 15+ seconds left is not a good play.

Now in his defense, he has done it a few times, just as Nelson does it sometimes, but they are both cutting down on it, and hopefully they will stop doing it, unless it starts going in everytime.

quote:
Originally posted by Magicprfan:

Arroyo improving

A point guard that averages less than 2 assists a game. Yeah he is playing great.

quote:
A point guard that averages less than 2 assists a game. Yeah he is playing great.

1. I don't think that anyone can do much better in approximately 14 MPG, and trying to work any magic in BHill's stagnant offensive "tactics".

2. I don't think that the starting PG is doing even close to that (unlesss you count TOs as assists!) in 30+ MPG.

3. You also have to think about the TO's on all the other guys, even as our PG make good passes the Bigs just turn it over. You can't blame the PG for that.

If Arroyo had a better shot selection and didn't dribble out half the shot clock, he has the ability, quickness, and vision to be a great PG. Shot Selection and too much dribbling are big if's though. Glad to see he and the coaches are working on that!

I agree with everyone but with Tobie. You have to undestand that the system right now does not permit a lot of assist. Once our guards cross court the start passing our shooting guards who them pass (or miss) to Howard who if he is not open the make one last pass to the "open" man who will the shoot. Please this is not a Suns type of offense that revolves around Nash creating for others? What games are you watching? Regarding his shoot selection its true he still needs to improve but we must understand that every player have their "shot" and for Carlos is that flowing jump shoot. He can not stand and shot his shoot is actually a running jump shot so what can we do. At least he is working on the turnovers. That is good to hear.

quote:
Originally posted by CG:

2. I don't think that the starting PG is doing even close to that (unlesss you count TOs as assists!) in 30+ MPG.

Why does this ALWAYS come back to Jameer v Carlos. Leave it out, for once.

quote:
Why does this ALWAYS come back to Jameer v Carlos. Leave it out, for once.

Not trying to make this an A vs J issue again. Just trying to be fair to the player who was attacked, probably by a JN lover!, but sorry if you got that wrong impression.