Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Dwight Howard

I'm not gonna lie

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

well i applaud you for at least trusting my summaries and being open to the idea of at least skimming.

and yes, there are mistakes in science. that's why we have theories. theories are always changing, whether through gathering more information or simple human error; but that does not mean the actual facts behind the theories are erroneous.

the great thing about scientific method is that it is testable, and that it can be self-correcting. no diss on religion of course, but it's just like everyday life. you want to find the solution to why the magic sucks, you research, possibly try new line-ups, you come up with theories, and you draw conclusions. if more data pops up, or if nothing solves the magic's problems, then you continue to test and research. even after solving the problem you may still be wrong about the magic. the problem may come back again despite trying the same solution that 'worked' before.

Excellent point. Nature can be put under a microscope. we have the power to do that because of our authority over this world. The problem is we try to take the same approach to God. We want to be able to put him under a microscope. we as humans have to understand that there are things that we can't discover by research and experimentation. One of those things is God. We put a high value on "understanding" everything, but understanding, and acceptance have very little to do with what is true or not. If everything depend on our ability to understand and explain we would be in serious trouble.

Sometimes people knock faith, but they don't realize how much faith it takes to live life every day. Even scientists have faith, they choose to believe in the theory of evolution even though there are holes in the theory. this doesn't mean that there aren't evidences, but there are things missing. Gaps if you will. but they choose to go on researching to find what they believe will fill those gaps. They choose to have faith. just like Christians do.

'gaps' and 'missing evidence' aren't exactly holes. what would be a gaping whole would be something like a huge contradiction. a refutation, if that makes more sense to you. so far evolution has survived hundreds of years of criticism, heavy experimentation, and so far it has passed that scientific test.

but if you think science takes just as much faith as God, then how do you view the things that require science? do you or a family member take medicine? you're also using a computer, aren't you? how do you think magic players keep their body in shape and heal from their injuries? all of these things surely can't be 'faith' when we clearly practice them. science is the only way we understand the world around us. if it was faith, we'd have none of the things we have today. there is an amount of error, but calling it faith when religion hasn't exactly done any of these things is strange.

at least with science, you can test. you can research. you can use any of your 5 senses to examine something. i would hardly call any of that faith unless you are one of those matrix believers and even then, they still aren't 'faith' in the same sense. science has proven itself to work for centuries.

quote:

'gaps' and 'missing evidence' aren't exactly holes. what would be a gaping whole would be something like a huge contradiction.

but if you think science takes just as much faith as God, then how do you view the things that require science? do you or a family member take medicine? you're also using a computer, aren't you? how do you think magic players keep their body in shape and heal from their injuries? all of these things surely can't be 'faith' when we clearly practice them. science is the only way we understand the world around us. if it was faith, we'd have none of the things we have today. there is an amount of error, but calling it faith when religion hasn't exactly done any of these things is strange.

Morning. My point is that we are by God's decree required to study and understand the world around us. However, we have turned around and decided to put God under a microscope, not realizing that he is so far above us that we would struggle to understand even the things he openly reveals. There is nothing wrong in gaining wisdom. but i think u are not willing to accept that at each stage of their research, scientist have to exhibit faith in there theory. It is faith that drives them as much as it is faith that drives us. Those on both sides of the coin are living on the same stuff. It's called faith.

Imagine trying to explain advanced calculus to a rhinoceros. You may teach it to stand on a ball, or perform in a circus, but to grasp the intricacies required to fully understand A.C. is simply beyond them. Now imagine us with an infinite God who has always been. Who knows all things and is all powerful. how difficult do you think it would be for us to understand his thoughts, and his intricacies?

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Dwight Howard:

I love it. We can talk about sex, drugs, and anything else but as soon as God and Jesus Christ come up. OHHH NO thats off limits. haha It's all good with me

Don't sweat it buddy. You know darn well it's a sign of the times. You can't even say Merry Christmas anymore. So again don't sweat and it is best to testify to people on an individual basis. It's the only way to see who is hungry for it or not.

quote:
Originally posted by Guardian:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Dwight Howard:

I love it. We can talk about sex, drugs, and anything else but as soon as God and Jesus Christ come up. OHHH NO thats off limits. haha It's all good with me

Don't sweat it buddfy. You know darn well it's a sign of the times. You can't even say Merry Christmas anymore. So again don't sweat and it is best to testify to people on an individual basis. It's the only way to see who is hungry for it or not.

+1000. Plus ignore people like Ghost and Robotmaster. They are haters. If you do not agree with those two you are stupid and an idiot.

so where does faith drive them? do you have any specific examples outside of your skepticism of evolution? was faith used to build your computer, or was faith used to create antibiotics thanks to evolution understanding how viruses constantly change? in fact, evolution is used to find a vaccine for the swine flu.

quote:
My point is that we are by God's decree required to study and understand the world around us. However, we have turned around and decided to put God under a microscope, not realizing that he is so far above us that we would struggle to understand even the things he openly reveals.

the problem i personally see in this is that you don't start from square one. you automatically assume he exists and jump straight to this conclusion. you cannot just hide behind 'he is unable to be understood and he is above us' because any person who has any personal god can say the same thing. how can we discern between the groups? there are people who disagree with each other even in the same groups. why do humans disagree and fight over the same guy or guys that apparently want us all to do certain things. essentially you are just telling me to not question things and blindly accept him, but that makes all arguments invalid. blindly accepting things leads to corruption, it leads to lies, and i refuse to look at god any different just because he's god; that is circular reasoning and is a well known fallacy that is usually pulled out by theists.

no offense to you of course, but even if i wanted to believe, i'd have no way of choosing which way, because everybody says the same thing. it makes no sense to me. different groups with different ideas about god with different books all saying they're the truth, and that he is above all, and that i should not question it. i think it is more likely that everybody is just following whatever they found out first than assuming somewhere deep within all those religious wars and disagreements, there is some right god who just didn't discern himself from the rest.

quote:

Its interesting that you point to things that are "intelligently designed" to prove your point. We have all these things (medicine, computers and exercise equipment) that came about through careful study and research. Yet you believe in a theory that basically says, there was no thought or design, or research that went into you. The complex, intricate, carefully crafted body, and mind that you have. You who are the most amazing creature of all. You just came about by a random set of occurrences. Guided by no intent or will of any higher being.

We have a society that spouts evolution, but basically lives on the principle of intelligent design. Everything we do is planned, crafted, structured and thought trough. We do not leave things to chance. Yet believe that we came about randomly without will or thought or designer. I find it an odd contradiction. If we really are children of evolution, then why don't we truly live it? Why do we live intelligent design?

Would you consider a Woman's pelvis to be intelligently designed to handle child birth? There are many examples of things that would be considered unintelligently put together in our body.

robotmaster, please, for the love of god, tell me that you're an atheist because you're rebelling against your parents for not letting you go to a Slipknot concert.

I can't even begin to believe you are capable of a semi rational thought.

quote:

so where does faith drive them? do you have any specific examples outside of your skepticism of evolution? was faith used to build your computer, or was faith used to create antibiotics thanks to evolution understanding how viruses constantly change? in fact, evolution is used to find a vaccine for the swine flu.

quote:
My point is that we are by God's decree required to study and understand the world around us. However, we have turned around and decided to put God under a microscope, not realizing that he is so far above us that we would struggle to understand even the things he openly reveals.

the problem i personally see in this is that you don't start from square one. you automatically assume he exists and jump straight to this conclusion. you cannot just hide behind 'he is unable to be understood and he is above us' because any person who has any personal god can say the same thing. how can we discern between the groups? there are people who disagree with each other even in the same groups. why do humans disagree and fight over the same guy or guys that apparently want us all to do certain things. essentially you are just telling me to not question things and blindly accept him, but that makes all arguments invalid. blindly accepting things leads to corruption, it leads to lies, and i refuse to look at god any different just because he's god; that is circular reasoning and is a well known fallacy that is usually pulled out by theists.

no offense to you of course, but even if i wanted to believe, i'd have no way of choosing which way, because everybody says the same thing. it makes no sense to me. different groups with different ideas about god with different books all saying they're the truth, and that he is above all, and that i should not question it. i think it is more likely that everybody is just following whatever they found out first than assuming somewhere deep within all those religious wars and disagreements, there is some right god who just didn't discern himself from the rest.

Evolution. Can you show me the missing link? Have you ever looked at the what the odds might be of a big bang just accidentally creating life. Where did that first cell come from? I am one that truly believes that it takes greater faith to believe in the THEORY of evolution verses believing that this had to start with a living being somewhere. I am not here to argue with you but if you want to take the Jesus thing a step further, then just look around you. No one person gets more personal attacks than Jesus. I never hear anyone criticize any other religion so much as they do Christianity. One last note. You can not believe what is in the BIble which actually had a few eyewitnesses record the events, yet you can read a newspaper headline and accept it as truth. Go figure.

1Corinthians 2:10

[10]

LOL there are creationists here.

Can somebody move this to off topic? The 4 game losing streak is bad enough.

quote:

quote:

The problem with your post here is that there is evidence for God. there are historical accounts, prophecies, scientific research, and other such things that point to the existence of a supreme being. But just like evolution, there are things that are not readily understandable. The difference between us is that we accept that there are things we won't understand. because yes, God is greater than us. and again. can you teach your dog the details of you, how your body works and the intricacies of ur mind? Why? Simply because he can't. He does not have the faculties to understand. He might know you like the paper brought to you in the morning, or that you want him to go outside to do his business, but does he know why you like the paper? does he understand that you like to do the puzzle before you go to work?

There are answers to many of the questions you ask, and God is not against being asked. On top of that he requires us to ask, he wants us to talk to him,. Plus he has revealed much in both nature and his word. He says seek and you shall find, ask and it shall be given, knock and it will be opened. and yes, there are many different thoughts and beliefs regarding God. and there are those who like me have sought and found. the bible says that God is a rewarder of those who seek him.