Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

The Official "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU PLAYING!!!?" Thread

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:
Originally posted by jecMagicMan:

I have Final Fantasy III on my DS, the actually 3rd one, not VI, and I HATE the job system on it.

You have to level up your jobs. Every time you beat a major boss, more jobs are made available. It sucks, because I had the job levels really high on what become inferior jobs. The game is a pain in the ***.

Are the rest of the Final Fantasies like that? If there are job levels in the others, I'm definitely not buying IV. Luckily, I got this one for free.

I know Final Fantasy I didn't have job levels. That's the only other one I've played.

I think the only FF games that have the job classes(officially at least) are 3, 5 and the Tactics series.

I never played 3, so I can't really speak on it, but 5 did it very well, and I'm obviously a huge fan of Final Fantasy Tactics(even if that game is long, and the game becomes stupid easy once you get Orlandu).

Tactics is fun, i had a great time playing it as a kid.

I can't wait to play ffXIII. Not that the story line should be all that good. Final fantasy games are just ridiculously entertaining to me. I have no idea why.

I'll admit that the FF games have become less interesting to me as I got older. Things that I used to think were really philosophical battles and outcomes just seem, now that I have a full time job and all that, to be trite and immature. Part of why I liked FFXII so much was that it dealt with some relatively adult themes.

Even though everyone I know hated the Gambit system, I actually really liked it, and was pretty happy that Dragon Age chose to ape the **** out of it. Although if we're being honest, they were both aping Star Ocean.

quote:

I'll admit that the FF games have become less interesting to me as I got older. Things that I used to think were really philosophical battles and outcomes just seem, now that I have a full time job and all that, to be trite and immature. Part of why I liked FFXII so much was that it dealt with some relatively adult themes.

Even though everyone I know hated the Gambit system, I actually really liked it, and was pretty happy that Dragon Age chose to ape the **** out of it. Although if we're being honest, they were both aping Star Ocean.

I liked XII up until I realized you were stuck playing a minor character. Why the hell was the main dude a kid with extremely circumstantial ties to the actual plot?

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:

I liked XII up until I realized you were stuck playing a minor character. Why the hell was the main dude a kid with extremely circumstantial ties to the actual plot?

I took him out of my party immediately.

Also, I felt like the game's party was more "ensemble cast" than "Main character w/ supporting characters". If anything, I thought the game's closest things to "heroes" were Basch and Balthier.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Also, I felt like the game's party was more "ensemble cast" than "Main character w/ supporting characters". If anything, I thought the game's closest things to "heroes" were Basch and Balthier.

yup.

the dialogue and cut scenes were still shown in vaan's perspective though. I think the game would have been better with basch or princess whos name i cant remember (ashe?) as the main point of view instead.

I think square tried to use the juvenile observer approach in an attempt to connect with the target audience (it might be easier for 10-18 year olds to identify better with vaan). I dont think it worked though.

One of the main things i liked about the game was the ability to use the entire cast in battle by switching them out. This caused a lot of drama as I had 3 or 4 high level characters while the rest were drastically lower. Whenever i was forced to use a lower level character I was sent into a frantic revival mode trying to revive the fallen "elite" characters. That was always entertaining.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

yup.

the dialogue and cut scenes were still shown in vaan's perspective though. I think the game would have been better with basch or princess whos name i cant remember (ashe?) as the main point of view instead.

I think square tried to use the juvenile observer approach in an attempt to connect with the target audience (it might be easier for 10-18 year olds to identify better with vaan). I dont think it worked though.

One of the main things i liked about the game was the ability to use the entire cast in battle by switching them out. This caused a lot of drama as I had 3 or 4 high level characters while the rest were drastically lower. Whenever i was forced to use a lower level character I was sent into a frantic revival mode trying to revive the fallen "elite" characters. That was always entertaining.

I just used that as a method of being able to constantly chain huge numbers of whatever the game called Limit Breaks together by starting any boss battle with Basch, Ashe, and 1 ****ty character, limit breaking, then subbing in a different ****ty character, limit breaking, and so on. I could frequently knock bosses health down by half before I had to actually start doing anything.

Man, I need to call my landlord and get my copy of that game back.

A few good games that I have been playing:

Uncharted 2

Assassins creed 2

Nba 2k10 I haven't been on since I picked up the first 2 games

I also have MW2 and haven't opened trying to beat Assassins creed 2.

quote:
Originally posted by LinkZ2009:

I want to dust of my wii * no puns Intended* and get No more heroes 2 and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom , Beasting games....Money plox?

I'm thinking the same. Been playing a game called Muramasa: Demon Blade lately and it is fun. Next im gonna need to check out Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles. After that I'm looking forward for NBA Jams when ever it comes out.

quote:
Originally posted by Ramsde68:

quote:
Originally posted by LinkZ2009:

I want to dust of my wii * no puns Intended* and get No more heroes 2 and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom , Beasting games....Money plox?

I'm thinking the same. Been playing a game called Muramasa: Demon Blade lately and it is fun. Next im gonna need to check out Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles. After that I'm looking forward for NBA Jams when ever it comes out.

omg i want that game..( Muramasa...) ugghhhhhh i wish i had MoneyZ .. I also wanted madworld.

So as a new update to my game thread:

I just want to send out a quick warning to everyone who loves them a good JRPG. Stay the living hell away from White Knight Chronicles. It is by far one of the most dissipointing games I have ever played. I was hoping it would give me a nice play while I waited for FF13 but it got a quick return right back to Game Stop. I was better off with getting the ps3 version of Star Ocean Last Hope, even though I'd already played the 360 version.

Now the game I got back for WKC however. Wooooo boy. Any PS3 users out there who havent had a chance to check it out yet, you owe it to yourself to go check out Heavy Rain. **** this game is awesome. Any fans out there of Indigo Prophecy will love this game. That and those of you who love good detective stories. The pacing story and ambiance of this game is really just enthralling.