Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

The Official "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU PLAYING!!!?" Thread

No, I haven't read the entire thing so far. I don't know the issue numbers because I have been reading compilations. I think i'm only halfway through. Regardless, the story was much more enthralling than the show, which I simply can't take seriously. Maybe it's that there is more of a willingness to suspend disbelief with comics, or maybe they are just written and illustrated that damn well.

I think each TPB collects 8 issues, and each of the two larger compendiums collects 6 TPBs (or 48 original issues). They are up to 107 now, and the two compendiums run through issue 96.

By the way, Mr. Thompson, you said you stopped collecting around issue #100, do you have the full set of the main comic? If so, well done, and congrats, issue #1 on it's own is fetching over $800 currently.

By the way, Mr. Thompson, you said you stopped collecting around issue #100, do you have the full set of the main comic? If so, well done, and congrats, issue #1 on it's own is fetching over $800 currently.

Unfortunately, no. #63 is the first single issue I have and #101 is the last. I like reading them in single issue form, but I just don't have the time to keep up with it anymore. And since I moved back to Orlando, the closest comic shop to my house is like 15 miles away. So I ended up buying both compendiums and now I'm just going to buy the TPBs when they come out.

Kirkman's other main book, Invincible, is top notch as well and I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes comics at all. It's kind of like a Quentin Tarantino version of a superhero comic, in that it worships and satirizes the genre at the same time. Plus it gets ultra-violent from time to time and features absurdly silly villain names.

It's because you're in control when you're reading a comic. It's like a storyboard to a movie, so you kind of fill in all the gaps between scenes and you can interpret the characters however you want. The way I hear Rick in my head is completely different than the Rick in the show. And it's like that with all the characters. I like my version better.

That's an excellent point.

I had not heard about this anti-used movement, hopefully that doesn't happen. I'm still PUMPED for PS4 though, might be the first time I camp out with the nerds outside of Best Buy (prolly because it's the first time I have that kind of cash...I hope). Only thing that would be better is if they made a Crash Bandicoot game for PS4 (don't make fun of me!).

I'm considering going back to Nintendo for the first time since I bought my parents bought the N64. My attitude at this point is 'when all else fails' it's easy to fall back on the iconic stuff like Mario/Kirby/Metroid Prime etc. Sony and Microsoft are focusing on the social aspects of gaming with Facebook/Twitter/entertainment hubs and all that jazz, which doesn't interest me at all with gaming. I don't play all that much anymore, so I don't know if I want to dish out 600 dollars for a PS4 that doesn't serve my best interests when I could be content with playing Mario Kart. I think if I got an itch to play the other stuff (I love the Mass Effect series for example) I'd just buy a new PC.

All that being said, I'll probably buy the new consoles anyway because I'm a *****ing idiot.

I'm considering going back to Nintendo for the first time since I bought my parents bought the N64. My attitude at this point is 'when all else fails' it's easy to fall back on the iconic stuff like Mario/Kirby/Metroid Prime etc. Sony and Microsoft are focusing on the social aspects of gaming with Facebook/Twitter/entertainment hubs and all that jazz, which doesn't interest me at all with gaming. I don't play all that much anymore, so I don't know if I want to dish out 600 dollars for a PS4 that doesn't serve my best interests when I could be content with playing Mario Cart. I think if I got an itch to play the other stuff (I love the Mass Effect series for example) I'd just buy a new PC.

All that being said, I'll probably buy the new consoles anyway because I'm a *****ing idiot.

I used to also be concerned about the focus of these companies when stuff like the Kinect started happening. But really, there are still awesome games being made at a rate which is still too high for me to play them all. The only difference is that now people can dance around like idiots in front of their TVs and be rewarded for it if they want. It doesn't really bother me since it hasn't had an effect on my experience at all. When they start requiring me to dance in order to play the games I want to play, I'll be right there with you.

I embrace the entertainment hub aspect, since it has allowed me to completely drop cable without having to buy another device. That's one of the best things to come out of this console generation in my opinion.

I used to also be concerned about the focus of these companies when stuff like the Kinect started happening. But really, there are still awesome games being made at a rate which is still too high for me to play them all. The only difference is that now people can dance around like idiots in front of their TVs and be rewarded for it if they want. It doesn't really bother me since it hasn't had an effect on my experience at all. When they start requiring me to dance in order to play the games I want to play, I'll be right there with you.

I embrace the entertainment hub aspect, since it has allowed me to completely drop cable without having to buy another device. That's one of the best things to come out of this console generation in my opinion.

I'm in agreement for the most part. The only thing I meant by the entertainment hub is that from a marketing perspective, the games have taken a back seat to all the other stuff. That's fine since that's where the business is for them, but I tend to not pay attention to that stuff beyond Netflix. I'm in a weird position where I'm all about the games, except for the little fact that I barely play the games in the first place. I tried out Gamefly a few months ago, and I found the whole experience to be exhausting. I played Alan Wake and Bioshock, which are both great games, but I couldn't find the motivation to get back into the fold of playing game after game. This new turn by consoles to compete with social medias and mobile gaming is probably better for where I'm at now, but I kind of refuse to acknowledge it.

I'm kind of just waiting out for that huge new development in gaming to happen, but it seems developers have either hit a technological wall, or they're being dragged down by new business models.

I love Nintendo like everyone else, but the stuff they make now sucks. When they decide to make a (real) next gen system I'll be right there to buy it.

I love Nintendo like everyone else, but the stuff they make now sucks.

Well that's not true at all.

Well that's not true at all.

I can't comment on Wii-U since I haven't played it, but I was unimpressed by the Wii and GameCube was an abomination. The N64 was on par with Playatation but since then it's like Nintendo is trying to be second rate on purpose.

I always felt like the Wii was a novelty console. I'm sure that's mostly because I was not in the target demographic, but still.

I think motion controls in general are better as an accessory rather than a core function. It's fun when you have a bunch of people over, but when I'm just sitting around in my underwear in the middle of the night playing a game, you're really not adding to my experience by making me wave my arms around. Instead, that's a good way to get me to ask myself what the hell I'm doing with my life, shut down the console and go to bed depressed.