Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

The Official "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU PLAYING!!!?" Thread

Super Mario 3D Land is pretty good and surprisingly lengthy. How is XIII-2?

Yeah once i finish Revelations, mario is next on my 3DS list, unless Kid Icarus turns out to be good.

Game play wize 13-2 actually may be my favorite of the series, it took the fun action parts of 13 and really beefed it up with a monster capture mechanic that lets you add anything from behemoths to chocobos to your party (and in a coliseum level, you can play characters like lightning to add them in as well). The story isn't exactly powerful, but I will say that for the first time in a JRPG, the conversations in english actually felt and sounded natural. Voice acting is top notch, and script writing not half bad. It helps that the leads, Serah and Noel are pretty likable people too.

almost finishing mass effect 2 (again, this time on the ps3) so i can play ME3 with my choices

Hardest part has been avoiding spoilers on the internet hahah

Only thing i saw was a general complain about the ending, maybe these people are just being picky, hope so, just 2 more missions and it's ME3 time

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

almost finishing mass effect 2 (again, this time on the ps3) so i can play ME3 with my choices

Hardest part has been avoiding spoilers on the internet hahah

Only thing i saw was a general complain about the ending, maybe these people are just being picky, hope so, just 2 more missions and it's ME3 time

I complained about the game earlier in this thread, but it is definitely is getting better mission-wise, hopefully the ending doesnt suck too bad.

I complained about the game earlier in this thread, but it is definitely is getting better mission-wise, hopefully the ending doesnt suck too bad.

well I'm glad then, post your thoughts on the ending when you finish it

By the way, finally finished ME2, although ME3 started off boring it has definetely improved a lot already, the new citadel is so huge it's awesome, i just didn't get the hang of the new scanning thing, but whatever

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

well I'm glad then, post your thoughts on the ending when you finish it

By the way, finally finished ME2, although ME3 started off boring it has definetely improved a lot already, the new citadel is so huge it's awesome, i just didn't get the hang of the new scanning thing, but whatever

Ending(s) Spoilers:

The ending felt contrived to me, the they forced you take one of the three choices which completely contradict what you have been doing most of the game. There was no clear paragon choice which is annoying, but worse is that there was no payoff. I watched all of the endings and they are basically the same, no closure for the series. Its strange how they made the "Control" option blue and the "Destroy" red. There's no way control could be the paragon choice, it's taking all the power for yourself (why does he die on the control option anyways?) and admitting the illusive man was right (who you had killed).

I read something online about Shepard being indoctrinated during the final choice, and it seems like the most plausible answer which is why I chose Destroy. Why else would the entity at the end represent itself as a child who has been haunting his dreams, it doesn't make any sense. The child talks about how synthetics will take over organics even after you stopped the Geth war and Shepard doesn't even bring it up. Also, I thought destroying the Mass Relays destroyed the system they were in (like the Batarians). Shouldn't everyone die anyways then in every ending.

I enjoyed the last mission though before the ending, especially talking to the crew before the final push was really well done.

Sad news

My PS3 died, YLOD, sent it to a third party to make a "reball"

hope it works, ME3 was so awesome... :(

I've had the YLOD thing in 2 different ocasions, but I've had PS3(s) since the very moment they were released.

It was something all right...

Apparently, the makers of the game are reworking the ending. That's actually a worse idea than the ending itself. What a way to stick up for your creative vision.

I'm ok if the "new ending" is just a "where are they now?" style epilogue to describe what happened to the characters and races you encountered in the game, because frankly, that should have been in the game anyway and it was inexcusable that it wasn't. Hell, Dragon Age: Awakenings got an epilogue ending that's like 10 minutes long, and that was a ho-hum expansion pack for Origins. Bethesda had epilogues for their DLC on the last two Fallout games. It's not hard.

But I agree: if they change the(ridiculous, nonsensical, contradicts-huge-amounts-of-other-things-in-the-series) original ending outright, that's really really stupid.

I mean: that ending WAS legitimately awful. Honest to god, it's one of the worst video game endings I've ever seen. Shamus Young wrote a pretty good piece on it at the Escapist, where he argued:

In general, an audience is probably looking for three key things at the end of a story:

• Affirmation - Love conquers all, hope endures, freedom is worth fighting for, the truth will set you free, justice can't be denied, etc. You save the little kid, the evil overlord is defeated, somebody gets married, everyone celebrates the hero, cupcakes and ice cream. Ex: Frodo drops the ring into Mt. Doom and Saruon is defeated forever.
  • Explanation - All questions answered. Making sure it all makes sense also falls under this category. Ex: How did Gandalf come back from the dead? What made the Witch King undefeatable? What happens to the Three Rings if the One is destroyed?
  • Closure - How did things turn out? Did the characters have a happy ending? Ex: Sam married Rose. Frodo and Bilbo went to the Havens. Aragorn was crowned king.

Mass Effect 3 fails because it doesn't provide any of those things. Really, the only thing it has going for it is Buzz Aldrin.

The game also fails for several other reasons, which are detailed far better(and calmer) than I could do, so I'll just say go

here.

• Upvote 1