Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

The Official "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU PLAYING!!!?" Thread

I just made a run through the original Castlevania. Not all the way though, I can't get past Death. *****, video games used to be hard.

I told a friend of mine that the original Battletoads was the hardest game I'd ever played. He laughed at me.

So I downloaded an emulator and made him play it. I've never heard so much profanity in my life.

I told a friend of mine that the original Battletoads was the hardest game I'd ever played. He laughed at me.

So I downloaded an emulator and made him play it. I've never heard so much profanity in my life.

Looks like I just found my new challenge.

Personally, I could never beat River Raid on Atari. I haven't played it since I was kid, but I'm sure I'd have similar problems.

Looks like I just found my new challenge.

Personally, I could never beat River Raid on Atari. I haven't played it since I was kid, but I'm sure I'd have similar problems.

It's not too bad until the racer level.

That damn thing is like a torture experiment.

Unrelated note: Diablo 3 has already posted over 240k pre-orders, despite not even having a set release date yet. Wow.

I've already started; swordplay is great.

I won't spoil anything important, but I will say this: the new "navi" is a pretty annoying one.

Fi is bad, but no where close to as bad as Navi was.

Battletoads is flat out impossible.

Playing on an emulator eliminates a lot of the difficulty in those early games because you can just save whenever and you don't have to keep playing through the same 15 minutes to get to the part that gets you, only to immediately fail and go back to the beginning. But the ability to avoid that doesn't help you at all on that level with the jetski or whatever that thing is. You just have to push buttons and hope for the best.

There was a game I had as a kid on the Sega Genesis called "High Seas Havoc". It was a basic rehash of most sonic game elements, but it was fun, nonetheless.

I could never beat it. It was the only platforming game I never beat, until I finally complete it with an emulator. This one boss...

:panicworker:

There was a game I had as a kid on the Sega Genesis called "High Seas Havoc". It was a basic rehash of most sonic game elements, but it was fun, nonetheless.

I could never beat it. It was the only platforming game I never beat, until I finally complete it with an emulator. This one boss...

:panicworker:

You've always struck me as a Super Nintendo kind of guy.

Or maybe you were one of those kids who had both. I hated those kids. They also had shoes that fit.

You've always struck me as a Super Nintendo kind of guy.

Or maybe you were one of those kids who had both. I hated those kids. They also had shoes that fit.

Oh, definitely. I've owned every Nintendo console not named the Atari (unless you wanna count pseudo-consoles like "Virtual Boy"). Super Mario All-Stars was one of the best games I've ever owned. I'm a platforming/adventure guy through-and-through.

And if it makes you feel any better, my Sega Genesis broke down after only a couple of years. I remember having to stack like 10 game cartridge boxes on top of the busted power cable to even be able to play it. In an weird way, I kinda miss having to deal with gaming malfunctions. Blowing into a game cartridge to get the game to work was hilarious. As a kid, you actually thought that would work, only to find out that it was the worst possible thing you could do.

Everything is in such pristine order now. It sickens me. Older games presented you with higher difficulty, unexpected forks in the road like cartridge freeze-ups, and those Easter Egg unlockables that actually rewarded you for your curiosity/persistence (now converted to DLC). It's like some sick, alternate Brave New World reality, man. I don't like it.

[/nostalgic rant]

My progression has gone NES, Genesis, Playstation, N64, Xbox, Xbox 360. I never had more than one at a time while the consoles were current. The 64 was a big favorite of mine, and I still maintain that Super Mario 64 is my favorite game ever. But my 16-bit loyalties will always lie with Sega, mostly because the people I knew who had Super Nintendos played ****ty games.

Nowadays with emulators, I have nearly complete libraries of NES, SNES and Genesis, and a pretty big collection of N64 games. I still play them from time to time. It kind of sucks trying to play N64 games with what is essentially a Playstation controller though.

Love hearing the video game histories of people, as it is awesome to finally say that video games are actually beginning to move through the generations.

I went:

-SNES

-N64/PS1/GameBoy

-PS2/XBOX/PSP/DS

-PS3/360/Wii

I've always been a multi system kinda guy. Never wanted to miss a good game.

• Atari 2600 (I remember a target/Walmart type store called Zares? that used to sell games for $1 back in the day)
  • Atari 800XL (Played cartridge games and had a keyboard you could program your own stuff but no memory to store your work)
  • Nintendo
  • Super Nintendo
  • Sega Mega CD (won it in a poker game and would have been pissed if I bought it new)
  • Sega Saturn (still have it. First (only?) system to build in an auto anti aliasing component into the hardware so that all games were smoothed out without programmers having to code for it in the game code. As a perfect example, Soul Calibur on the Saturn actually looked better than in the arcade)
  • Nintendo 64
  • Nintendo Game Cube
  • Xbox
  • Xbox 360
  • Wii