Sign in to follow this  
Ryan the Magic Fan

The Official "WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU PLAYING!!!?" Thread

Beat Fable 2 over the weekend.

It's a mess of ideas, good and bad, attached to a game that so blatantly pads it's still noticeably short story length that the effect is somewhat jarring.

i felt the same way. The expectations for this game were so high that it was a huge disappointment. Sure there's a lot of stuff to do and the world feels big, but its essentially an expansion pack on the first game rather than a sequel.

games are good for you! science says so!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11295257

I pretty much agree with the results of that study. You can really develop a lot of different strengths based on the games you play.

One problem I've noticed with myself (and generally gamers aged 10-28 which generally represents the entirety of gaming culture during its heyday) is frustration when one can see the quick (and correct) solution but can't reach that solution immediately due to the slower speed of someone else.

For example, I was building a cabinet with my mom some time over the summer. I could immediately see from the setup of the wood and visual instructions exactly how to put it together and what steps need to be taken in order. Mom stopped me and read through the directions word for word. It really bothered me even though I really had nothing else to do afterward and we still completed the task within a reasonable amount of time. It's come to be that speed (without detriment to quality) in doing anything is a necessity for me.

I wonder if any of you have similar experiences.

oh, also, my sister found our old sega genesis. I've been trying to beat all of the retro games.

So far I've beaten Sonic 1; Sonic 2; Golden Axe

I've also gotten to the last level of Streets of Rage.

Now I'm working on The Lion King.

I pretty much agree with the results of that study. You can really develop a lot of different strengths based on the games you play.

One problem I've noticed with myself (and generally gamers aged 10-28 which generally represents the entirety of gaming culture during its heyday) is frustration when one can see the quick (and correct) solution but can't reach that solution immediately due to the slower speed of someone else.

For example, I was building a cabinet with my mom some time over the summer. I could immediately see from the setup of the wood and visual instructions exactly how to put it together and what steps need to be taken in order. Mom stopped me and read through the directions word for word. It really bothered me even though I really had nothing else to do afterward and we still completed the task within a reasonable amount of time. It's come to be that speed (without detriment to quality) in doing anything is a necessity for me.

I wonder if any of you have similar experiences.

oh, also, my sister found our old sega genesis. I've been trying to beat all of the retro games.

So far I've beaten Sonic 1; Sonic 2; Golden Axe

I've also gotten to the last level of Streets of Rage.

Now I'm working on The Lion King.

I used to have Lion King and Sonic back in the day. I had Sonic 2 or 3 and Sonic and Knuckles, and you could put them together to get extra levels or something.

I think the impatience is largely due to cyberspace. Attention spans have been dropping because we are all about immediate results. It's good to force yourself to slow down sometimes, read a book, go for a walk or do anything that would force you to take your time.

I have a 360, but I don't really play it much. I bought Dragonball Z Burst Limit for nostalgia's sake, but otherwise one of my friends brings his MW2 and we play now and again.

Tell me how it is brother B) I don't know if I'm going to buy it now, might wait till the price drops a bit like I do with most games.

Blows every other Halo game out of the water. And personally as I'm not that big of a fan of the Call of Duty series, (Modern Warfare 1 is the only one I really get down on) I would put it above even the Resistance: Fall of Man series, which till now had been my favorite shooter.

Everything about the game just screams epic. The storyline is much more coherent compared to the other Halo games so people who don't get into the books and comics can get into it (I'm one of the people who do however and their is lots of little goodies for my type as well). It is much more gritty and "realistic", if that word can be used to describe a sci-fi shooter, since they ditched the really overtly purple color palette of the older games. The amount of guns (and how different each one is and how they can be used) is staggering. If you play it on Heroic first time out, you will be really challenged by it, much steeper difficulty curve then the first 3 games.

Basically if you can't tell by the glowing jerk off I'm giving this game right now, I recommend going and getting it now. I don't see any other games on the horizon that interest me much at all with the exception of NBA 2K11, and this is the kind of game I see myself playing for at least another month on just the single player alone, not even counting the multi-player.

• Upvote 1

Blows every other Halo game out of the water. And personally as I'm not that big of a fan of the Call of Duty series, (Modern Warfare 1 is the only one I really get down on) I would put it above even the Resistance: Fall of Man series, which till now had been my favorite shooter.

Everything about the game just screams epic. The storyline is much more coherent compared to the other Halo games so people who don't get into the books and comics can get into it (I'm one of the people who do however and their is lots of little goodies for my type as well). It is much more gritty and "realistic", if that word can be used to describe a sci-fi shooter, since they ditched the really overtly purple color palette of the older games. The amount of guns (and how different each one is and how they can be used) is staggering. If you play it on Heroic first time out, you will be really challenged by it, much steeper difficulty curve then the first 3 games.

Basically if you can't tell by the glowing jerk off I'm giving this game right now, I recommend going and getting it now. I don't see any other games on the horizon that interest me much at all with the exception of NBA 2K11, and this is the kind of game I see myself playing for at least another month on just the single player alone, not even counting the multi-player.

Thanks Ryan, man, this sounds like a good buy. Halo: Reach and NBA 2K11 could get me by for months and months. I didn't get ODST, so hopefully I'll be in for a big surprise.

Thanks Ryan, man, this sounds like a good buy. Halo: Reach and NBA 2K11 could get me by for months and months. I didn't get ODST, so hopefully I'll be in for a big surprise.

You will be. Although I'd say this, if you go on EBay, look around and try to find ODST for cheap. The story disc was pretty fun.

Finished up Halo: Reach tonight. Have to say by far best of the Halo series, and a great send off for the boys at Bungie. I really liked how they managed to tie up all the loose ends in the game to make sure that it remains untouched. I haven't been able to get onto multiplayer yet but it looks to be a lot of fun. Deffinitely the best shooter I have played, and the story was a big step up from the other Halos, even though it was pretty depressing.

Finished up Halo: Reach tonight. Have to say by far best of the Halo series, and a great send off for the boys at Bungie. I really liked how they managed to tie up all the loose ends in the game to make sure that it remains untouched. I haven't been able to get onto multiplayer yet but it looks to be a lot of fun. Deffinitely the best shooter I have played, and the story was a big step up from the other Halos, even though it was pretty depressing.

All i care about is the multiplayer. There aren't any good online games that I can play with my friends. Let me know how it is.

I've had reached for a week now and haven't even touched the campaign part of it yet. To me it's not Halo but still a very good game.