Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Howard's struggles offensively w/ C's are a concern(Sentinel)

quote:
Originally posted by BillFan:

Heres what kills me. Dwight gets the ball in the paint and does nothing for several seconds until the double team comes. ***?

When he first catches the ball hes only got 1 guy on him many times. Why isn't he trying to score immediately? Why does he wait for the double team before he makes a move? This makes no sense to me.

It really doesn't make any sense. It's like you would think that he should take advantage of the one on one match up but he gives them time to send the double team then here comes the turnover. And I wish somebody tell Howard to KEEP THE BALL HIGH AT ALL TIMES. Howard really needs to study how Pau Gasol or Tim Duncan plays if he really wants to be considered a dominant post player. Them guys are the best in the league IMO.

SVG is a good coach but like many have said, he's too stubborn. He strongly believes in his gameplan and would much rather make minor tweaks and run just a few different plays than revamp his strategy.

Although I'm sure he believes this is best for the team, it's also a reflection of his stubborness.

Rather than continually playing the same way, he really does need to install some new offensive packages that utilize our size. Against a team like Boston, there is no reason why we cannot be more physical with a lineup of:

Nelson

Carter

Lewis

Bass

Howard

Very few teams in the association can field a lineup with that kind of size, versatility, and atheleticism. Against a team like Boston, we could fight fire with fire, rather than trying to "rain" down threes and play our typical small-ball lineup.

Case in point: How painful is it to watch Rashard try to keep Rasheed off the low block?

Until SVG begins utilizing the versatility of our lineup to match up with the more physical teams in the NBA (basically LA, Boston, and Cleveland) we're always going to be teetering on the edge - relying on our 3-pt shooting rather than relying on a more RELIABLE gameplan like the other elite NBA teams.

quote:
Originally posted by MilitaryMagic:

SVG is a good coach but like many have said, he's too stubborn. He strongly believes in his gameplan and would much rather make minor tweaks and run just a few different plays than revamp his strategy.

Although I'm sure he believes this is best for the team, it's also a reflection of his stubborness.

Rather than continually playing the same way, he really does need to install some new offensive packages that utilize our size. Against a team like Boston, there is no reason why we cannot be more physical with a lineup of:

Nelson

Carter

Lewis

Bass

Howard

Very few teams in the association can field a lineup with that kind of size, versatility, and atheleticism. Against a team like Boston, we could fight fire with fire, rather than trying to "rain" down threes and play our typical small-ball lineup.

Case in point: How painful is it to watch Rashard try to keep Rasheed off the low block?

Until SVG begins utilizing the versatility of our lineup to match up with the more physical teams in the NBA (basically LA, Boston, and Cleveland) we're always going to be teetering on the edge - relying on our 3-pt shooting rather than relying on a more RELIABLE gameplan like the other elite NBA teams.

That lineup would do damage. In that lineup there are 3 other players that you can post up for points(Lewis, Carter and Bass). And you still have your best shooters out there. Also can you imagine Paul Pierce trying to guard Lewis in the post. Pierce is a good defender but Lewis will have the advantage. Ray Allen already showed yesterday when guarding Carter that he can't defend him. Bass is a bully in the paint with good sized. I could see him doing work as well. Stan needs to stop being so stubborn a do what's best for the team. Yeah were winning games but were also losing against the teams that we will battle in the playoffs. That's not good. Stan just needs to work on his rotations better and PLEASE, STOP TAKING OUT 5 STARTERS TO BE REPLACED BY 5 BENCH PLAYERS. That crap drives me crazy. And he needs to change up his strategy at times throughout the game. Cause our team is pretty easy to defend.

you know it's the middle of the season, and it would be just plain idiotic to change the entire gameplan in the middle of it. It's not as simple as "PUT BASS IN INSTANT WIN"; you would need new rotations and an entire new offense. It's just not that easy.

And if our offense is sooo unreliable, how come we're still top 3 in the league? in fact we've been at least top 10 for the past few years. i'd say it's reliable by now.

quote:
PLEASE, STOP TAKING OUT 5 STARTERS TO BE REPLACED BY 5 BENCH PLAYERS.

And i'm sick of this complaint too. it's obvious he has trust in jj redick who CAN potentially be a starter for not just this team but for many others. sure, they aren't going to find much offense against tough defensive teams like the celtics, but our starters did no better on the celtic's defense. But how come Redick is somehow gone from "REDICK OVER VC" to "REDICK IS STILL JUST ANOTHER BENCH GUY" in just two games? The only reason we look down on our bench is because they are merely labeled that way: the bench, but if we say they are as deep as they are, then why not have them with at least one trustable guy? Be consistent, people.

quote:
Originally posted by GhostAnime:

you know it's the middle of the season, and it would be just plain idiotic to change the entire gameplan in the middle of it. It's not as simple as "PUT BASS IN INSTANT WIN"; you would need new rotations and an entire new offense. It's just not that easy.

And if our offense is sooo unreliable, how come we're still top 3 in the league? in fact we've been at least top 10 for the past few years. i'd say it's reliable by now.

The thing is because of the threes we have a very high field goal percentage and score a lot of points. What it doesn't show you is the flow of the game and what happens when we go cold. Our style is great for the first unit, but we need the second unit to play a much more physical style and we need change of pace guys to make our offense even more efficient.

quote:

quote:

And i'm sick of this complaint too. it's obvious he has trust in jj redick who CAN potentially be a starter for not just this team but for many others. sure, they aren't going to find much offense against tough defensive teams like the celtics, but our starters did no better on the celtic's defense. But how come Redick is somehow gone from "REDICK OVER VC" to "REDICK IS STILL JUST ANOTHER BENCH GUY" in just two games? The only reason we look down on our bench is because they are merely labeled that way: the bench, but if we say they are as deep as they are, then why not have them with at least one trustable guy? Be consistent, people.

I don't agree with the taking out all 5 starters either. except for one condition. Replace either Ryan or Gortat with Bass.

Our offense flows better with a low post scorer. Bass is just that. That was one of the differences in the preseason. Bass was in the second unit lighting it up, but Ryan is more perimeter oriented. there is no one in the second unit to provide bruising low post scoring.

I'm not saying completely change the game plan but just have more options when the first game plan isn't working. Stan just like to keep running the same game plan all game win or lose. He just needs to know when to adjust to the game. It's like Stan thinks like this:

Ugh, were shooting 5/20 3's, maybe if we shoot 10 more 3's we might can comeback in this game.

No Stan, how about this, how about you at times abandon the 3's and attack the basket or shoot closer shots. Most of the other teams do. So should we. If there not falling don't continue to keep shooting them. There already low percentage shots. Actually there considered the WORST shot in the game. But Stan strategy is LIVE BY THE 3, DIE BY THE 3. That is so stupid.

Also you have Howard that wants the ball more right. How about calling plays to where it doesn't rely on Howard posting up for the ball. How about calling plays that has Howard cutting to the basket more. Howard doesn't need to backing nobody down. He's a turnover machine. We need to run plays for him that requires Howard to not have the ball for a long time. Something quick. Cause the longer Howard holds on to the ball the more likely the turnover is coming. He's not the post player were trying to run the offense through yet. I feel like we would have more success running the offense at times through Lewis on the post. Cause if Lewis gets fouled then we have a better chance at Lewis making his freethrows. He could post up, come off screens or run pick and pops which we already do for him. And we can do pick and rolls for Lewis as well. On top of all that we can run a 2 man game with Lewis and Carter and that is dangerous. Cause you wouldn't know who to defend. And it could go either way. You could post up Carter and have Lewis in the corner. It's just so many ways you can play with this team and Stan isn't fully using them. Not saying he's a bad coach but I'm pretty sure the people around and other coaches have suggested what a lot of fans on here have been saying for the longest. But he chooses to stay with his strategy.

quote:

quote:

I like Redick too but come on Stan could at least 1 of our top 4 players out there with them. Don't just take all of them out. I can see when were up 20pts but Stan be doing that in the 2nd quarter when the games still close. Bench players should NEVER play together unless it's a blowout. There should always be some starters in the game.

But it's no different than having Jason Terry run the second unit of the Mavs. If the person's been there long enough and knows all the ins and outs, I don't have a problem with it unless it's with a top tier team.