Sign in to follow this  
ManuGinobili

The Official World Cup 2010 thread

quote:
Originally posted by COLOMBIANO:

I'm hoping the final is between Brazil and Spain.

*starts salivating*

quote:
Originally posted by Caco:

Spain always manages to lose when it counts, and they still don't have some character guys who provide the necessary swagger.

I am not a big believer in trends when we are talking about a large span of time. Spain has been the great World Cup underachiever but this current team played no part in that. In Baseball, the Boston Redsox had gone 86 years without winning a world Series, but when they won in 2004, you could see why, those players had nothing to do with the previous 86 years.

Same with Spain. They had been almost equally dissapointing in the Euro Cup (44 years since their one win) but they took care of business last year.

Short of the puzzling loss to USA, they have been overwelming. If you don't see the swager, you haven't seen them enough.

Torres, Cesc, David Villa, Iniesta, Casillas, Puyol, Xavi, Xavi Alonso, Those guys have nothing to do, nor do they play like, a team that will choke.

Now, I know futbol, and anything can happen, but this is not the old Spanish teams where everyone played in Spain and there were many times their best player didn't even start for their professional team because they played for Barca or Real and they where always so loaded.

The best thing to happen to Spain is to have Torres and Cesc, and Xavi Alonso play in England [adsm, I also follow Liverpool but, *** is happening).

Spain is loaded, a great offense, a strong defense, the best goal keeper in the world (how many countires would love to have Pepe Reina and he's our back-up!)

I can't wait.

Oh, by the way, if Ireland gets a replay because Le hand of God, wake up all the ghosts, there are at least 100 games that will need to be replayed, even if all the participants are dead. I'll take South Korea v. Spain in 2002 when we got robbed big time.

quote:
Originally posted by ManuGinobili:

quote:
the best goal keeper in the world

Buffon may not agree with that consideration...

He may not. I understand that "best in the world" statement is subjective but I'm certainly not alone in that estimation. The equibalent of the FIFA "Player of the Year" award for Goalkeepers is the IFFHS World's Best Goalkeeper award. Buffon had won in '06 and '07, but Casillas won in '08.

Casillas came in 8th in the FIFA player of the year award for this year, highest goal keeper ranked (Buffon came 22nd).

Again, all these things are subjective but the concensus seems to be that Casillas is the better goal keeper right now.

Yay a football thread!!

Agree with most of the posters here that Brazil and Spain are definitely the faves, though Brazil with their best starting 11 minus their left back didnt look too good against an England team playing only two starters in Rooney and Barry so I would probably place Spain over Brazil.

I will be rooting for my England but praying we don't get involved in a penalty shoot out we have a lovely record in those icon_frown.gif

I'd say the likes of England, Germany and Italy have a great shot too. Normally I would place Argentina in with this lot but frankly I think they will be lucky to make it past the second round with Maradona in charge. There is no consistency in player selection there and well Maradona as coach material is laughable - brilliant player but awful coach.

My top 5 -

Spain

Brazil

Italy

England

Germany

and adsm unlucky being a liverpool fan this season they seem to be a bit of a mess this year dont they, shame really cos I hate chelsea and man utd with a passion just hope my Arsenal dont suffer any more injuries and keep pace with those scummers!!

Its certainly going to be interesting with teams like New Zealand qualifying, did Canada qualify this year too??

I should also add that I hope Ireland realises why us English love AND hate Maradona so much now! I shall be booing the French team as loudly as possible in the summer and notice how that wanker Platini has kept quiet they really do need to get rid of Blatter and Platini. Like Jose Mourinho once said "they're enemies of football"

world cup 86 is still a sore subject for us one nil up in the quarter finals of the world cup and he does this -

followed by this -

best ever world cup goal?

The best of Maradona and the worst of Maradona in one game lol

I don't think a replay of the Ireland v France game would do anything since France would probably come out on top anyway, and I still don't see Henry as the culprit since he is a product of the modern game (but an otherwise model professional) because anyone in his position would have done the same.

It's like playing with your mates when you were younger (or even now for that matter), sure there are rules but if you can get away with it - 'playing to the whistle' - then why not? Again it is dishonest I know and I would love to see more of those moments when someone comes out and says the ref is wrong during the game (Crisby: I'm thinking of a Liverpool v Arsenal game in the late 90's when Fowler protested to the ref that Seaman had not fouled him and it shouldn't be a penalty), but there is so much riding on these games that the temptation to speak up disappears.

Either way, the sooner there are video officals and post-game reviews the better, would eliminate diving/simulation and hopefully erradicate the dubious decisions. Again using the example of rugby - when the entire stadium watches a video replay to wait for the 4th offical to make a call (try or no try, etc) the suspense is awesome and it also means everyone can come to a fair judgement. Imagine life without such controversies - Ferguson would have nothing to moan about ever again.

Oh, and don't even get me started about Liverpool this season. I knew Alonso was important but I really didn't realise how much! Our season starts officially the day we have Aquilani playing a full 90 minutes alonside Gerrard AND Torres... which is probably next year... icon_frown.gif But just as long as ManUre don't win the league, I will be moderately happy - overtaking our 18 mark would be too much to take.

Oh, and my WC predictions for now (will update when groups are announced)

Champs: Spain

Runner-up: Brazil

3rd: Netherlands

4th: England

dark horses: Paraguay, Serbia

quote:
Originally posted by crisby pancakes:

Yay a football thread!!

exactly. FOOTBALL. As in, a game played mainly with FEET!!!

I remember that game so well I was actually angry that Fowler didnt just hit the penalty wide lol

I agree that Henry wasnt to blame and at least he had the decency to admit to it as apposed to Maradona. I'm mainly angry at Blatter and Platini for being stuck in the middle ages and not moving on with video evidence the idea that it would slow the game down is ridiculous. The Irish must have argued with the ref for at least two minutes, is any football being played during this time - NO. 30 seconds to look at a video would have sorted it and got them all playing in less time.

The one thing that is clear is the obvious 'fixing' UEFA suddenly changing the playoffs to being seeded the very moment it looked like Germany and France might be in the playoffs was horrendous, they basically changed the rules half way through but with Blatter and Platini in charge thats to be expected!

This made me laugh though

Henry game

quote:

I remember that game so well I was actually angry that Fowler didnt just hit the penalty wide lol

he actually hit a lame one at Seaman, which he saved, but then McAteer scored on the rebound! lol

quote:

I agree that Henry wasnt to blame and at least he had the decency to admit to it as apposed to Maradona. I'm mainly angry at Blatter and Platini for being stuck in the middle ages and not moving on with video evidence the idea that it would slow the game down is ridiculous. The Irish must have argued with the ref for at least two minutes, is any football being played during this time - NO. 30 seconds to look at a video would have sorted it and got them all playing in less time.

The one thing that is clear is the obvious 'fixing' UEFA suddenly changing the playoffs to being seeded the very moment it looked like Germany and France might be in the playoffs was horrendous, they basically changed the rules half way through but with Blatter and Platini in charge thats to be expected!

yup! all very cushy for the big guns. I actually had high hopes for Platini but he just sucks

quote:

This made me laugh though

Henry game

awesome, thanks

quote:

I'm mainly angry at Blatter and Platini for being stuck in the middle ages and not moving on with video evidence the idea that it would slow the game down is ridiculous.

I would disagree. Soccer is a non stop game unlike Basketball, American Football or baseball. We only have one 15 min break and maybe 2 or 3 min when there is an injured player.

You have seen often times that when a team is attacking with all they've got and they're about to score the other team tries to find a way to slow down the pace of the game by faking an injury or something. I wouldn't mind something like 1 challenge per game "Like American footbaall" but I wouldn't like to use replay a lot. I understand it would prevent a lot of penalties, red cards and goals like the one we saw the other day, but it would slow down the game a bit.