Sign in to follow this  
ManuGinobili

The Official World Cup 2010 thread

Hope Robben is ok. And what do you know....South Africa has 13 straight games w/o losing. While they are not WC games, I know this team will advance.

Players are picking up injuries left right and centre now. Obi Mikel is out, Robben, Drogba and Behrami are massive doubts. Pirlo and Palacios now look like they're struggling to make it. Is there something in the air at the minute?

quote:
Originally posted by crisby pancakes:

Players are picking up injuries left right and centre now. Obi Mikel is out, Robben, Drogba and Behrami are massive doubts. Pirlo and Palacios now look like they're struggling to make it. Is there something in the air at the minute?

I think this happens in about every WC. I just think this time it's happening to great players.

Drogba is not completely out and Robben is doubtful

Great Thread, just found out about it.

My Predictions:

As you know, I'm Portuguese, and I believe my team will reach at least the semi-finals if we win our group. If we finish second, we're getting axed by the Spanish guys;

France will not make it through the group stage;

Brazil will win it all;

Fabiano top scorer;

USA will finish 2nd in their group;

Argentina will fall in the quarters (sorry :P);

Now I'll post the best 11:

Julio Cesar - GK

Maicon - RB

Bruno Alves - CB

Lucio - CB

Chiellini - LB

Nigel de Jong - Def Mid

Cris Ronaldo - LM

Wesley Sneijder - Off mf

Messi - RM

Fabiano - St.

Torres - St.

quote:
Originally posted by VCplusD12:

Great Thread, just found out about it.

My Predictions:

As you know, I'm Portuguese, and I believe my team will reach at least the semi-finals if we win our group. If we finish second, we're getting axed by the Spanish guys;

France will not make it through the group stage;

Brazil will win it all;

Fabiano top scorer;

USA will finish 2nd in their group;

Argentina will fall in the quarters (sorry :P);

Now I'll post the best 11:

Julio Cesar - GK

Maicon - RB

Bruno Alves - CB

Lucio - CB

Chiellini - LB

Nigel de Jong - Def Mid

Cris Ronaldo - LM

Wesley Sneijder - Off mf

Messi - RM

Fabiano - St.

Torres - St.

What's your reasoning for Brazil to win it all then?

I think they're second faves behind Spain and they have a squad that's deep in almost all positions and full of hard workers but for the first time in a long time they have a team that's not going to strike fear in the opposition.

They don't have that player that can do a bit of everything and turn a game on it's head like a Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho from previous squads. I alway feel that Brazil squads intimidate opponents before they even kick off and this year, I feel they don't have that. Instead they're compact and hard to break down. They're still brill though!

( I just hope they finish 2nd in their group and get Spain in the next round so one of them is gone.)

quote:
( I just hope they finish 2nd in their group and get Spain in the next round so one of them is gone.)

In Argentina we are praying for the same thing to happen.

I agree completely with your assessment. Brazil has no longer the striking individualities that can win games by themselves (as we do), but they do have the best defense and goalkeeper they had in their whole history. Lucio, Felipe Melo, Maicon and Julio Cesar are arguably the best defensive tandem in the world, and as we seen in 2006, defense wins WC.

Italy is a mess. An old team with injuries and coaching controversies.

That is why they are my darkhorse team to win it all. They look like this for every world cup they do good in.

Spain is my favorite both in heart and brain but Italy worries me about as much as anyone else.

quote:
Originally posted by EnFuego:

Italy is a mess. An old team with injuries and coaching controversies.

That is why they are my darkhorse team to win it all. They look like this for every world cup they do good in.

Spain is my favorite both in heart and brain but Italy worries me about as much as anyone else.

I said that today. Italy is playing horrible and will probably win games and go far playing that way.

I doubt they'll do far.

As of Brazil, I'd agree with you guys. There isn't player besides Kaka that can carry this team. Kaka didn't have a good year, but he's an awesome player and carried AC Milan for a while. Their defense... speechless. Brazil isn't know for it's good defenders, but this year's team as a heck of a defense.

Nani joined the growing list of players missing the world cup with injuries today. Thats a big player for Portugal gone now. He had a very good season with Manchester United this year. Crazy amount of injuries to big name players have occured in the final two weeks before the tournament starts!!

quote:
Watching France-Uruguay, Why is Henry on the bench?This man is one of the greatest goal scorers ever.

Because Domenech is crazy.

On the other hand, Uruguay is not attacking.

This group is the death group, because everyone has chances, and all of them are "decent" teams (maybe not South Africa, but playing at home makes them stronger)