Sign in to follow this  
Shine88

Magic show has new cast of characters -ESPN

quote:
Since Bass and Anderson are both power forwards, and since both of last season's starting wing players are gone -- Courtney Lee to New Jersey in the Carter deal, Hedo Turkoglu to Toronto in a sign-and-trade -- many onlookers assume Orlando will play a more traditional lineup by moving Lewis to small forward and starting Bass up front.

Not so fast, says Van Gundy.

"People assuming that [bass starts] are way ahead of the game," he said. "We've been very successful playing Rashard at the 4. I don't intend to go away from that."

What will happen, he concedes, is that Lewis will play more minutes at the 3 than in the past -- if not in the opening minutes, then at some point during the game. Lewis is familiar with the position from playing it so long for the Sonics, but after playing exclusively as a 4 in Orlando the past two years, he has to relearn life as a wing.

quote:
"To me, four starters are pretty well set," said Van Gundy. "That fifth starter would come from among Matt Barnes, Mickael Pietrus, Brandon Bass and Ryan Anderson. So we have four other guys who can fit into that starting spot. It's not like one lineup of five guys will be out there all the time."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/...hn&page=Magic-091001

I hope Anderson wins the starting 4 job, until Lewis return. And I believe SVG will give him every opportunity to win the job, too. Since he's very similar to Lewis, althought I believe he's a better rebounder than Lewis.

quote:
Since Bass and Anderson are both power forwards, and since both of last season's starting wing players are gone -- Courtney Lee to New Jersey in the Carter deal, Hedo Turkoglu to Toronto in a sign-and-trade -- many onlookers assume Orlando will play a more traditional lineup by moving Lewis to small forward and starting Bass up front.

Not so fast, says Van Gundy.

"People assuming that [bass starts] are way ahead of the game," he said. "We've been very successful playing Rashard at the 4. I don't intend to go away from that."

What will happen, he concedes, is that Lewis will play more minutes at the 3 than in the past -- if not in the opening minutes, then at some point during the game. Lewis is familiar with the position from playing it so long for the Sonics, but after playing exclusively as a 4 in Orlando the past two years, he has to relearn life as a wing.

quote:
"To me, four starters are pretty well set," said Van Gundy. "That fifth starter would come from among Matt Barnes, Mickael Pietrus, Brandon Bass and Ryan Anderson. So we have four other guys who can fit into that starting spot. It's not like one lineup of five guys will be out there all the time."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/...hn&page=Magic-091001

I hope Anderson wins the starting 4 job, until Lewis return. And I believe SVG will give him every opportunity to win the job, too. Since he's very similar to Lewis, althought I believe he's a better rebounder than Lewis.

1. He talks about the possibility of Ryan Anderson being the 5th starter even though nobody's mentioning him.

2. Van Gundy wants Dwight Howard to shoot 70-75% from the free throw line. Don't we all.

3. Magic can't play the no respect card anymore. They have a target on their back.

4. Van Gundy is texting the players all the time. Carter says he gets one every day from Stan.

5. Brandon Bass didn't fit well having to back-up at center, but shouldn't have to. It says Foyle is even considered the 3rd center. Also mentioned the possibility of Anderson playing 3, but defending 4 and Bass playing 4, but defending 3.

quote:
If the Magic do get off to a rocky start, they can always look back to last season. Orlando lost its first two games to Atlanta and Memphis and lacked home-court advantage against both Boston and Cleveland in the playoffs, but overcame those problems (and the absence of Nelson) to win the conference.

ESPN wrote this?

quote:
Originally posted by Morlon Freaking Wiley:

1. He talks about the possibility of Ryan Anderson being the 5th starter even though nobody's mentioning him.

2. Van Gundy wants Dwight Howard to shoot 70-75% from the free throw line. Don't we all.

3. Magic can't play the no respect card anymore. They have a target on their back.

4. Van Gundy is texting the players all the time. Carter says he gets one every day from Stan.

5. Brandon Bass didn't fit well having to back-up at center, but shouldn't have to. It says Foyle is even considered the 3rd center. Also mentioned the possibility of Anderson playing 3, but defending 4 and Bass playing 4, but defending 3.

Thanks a lot.

quote:
Originally posted by gporter:

quote:
If the Magic do get off to a rocky start, they can always look back to last season. Orlando lost its first two games to Atlanta and Memphis and lacked home-court advantage against both Boston and Cleveland in the playoffs, but overcame those problems (and the absence of Nelson) to win the conference.

ESPN wrote this?

Imposter site! It's clearly fake, www.epsn.com or something or I have yet to wake up...