Sign in to follow this  
Rimsh

PBN Top 100 List, Dwight # 5

Underrated guys: Jameer, Andrei Kirilenko (the most underrated guy in the NBA - not even in the top 100?), Carmelo

Overrated: Kevin Durant, Chris Bosh (I still can't believe he's above Nowitzki, Parker even 32 year old VC)

Kobe is the best, way better than LBJ

PS: Hey, Where's Courtney Lee?

HAhAhAhhhhA

quote:
Originally posted by Kramer:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by gporter:

1. King James

2. Kobe

3. Wade

These are the three best players in the NBA, and then there is Dwight.

After Dwight, I wouldn't even say Chris Paul is next, but he is #1 PG, for sure.

Let me ask you this: who had the advantage at the point guard position, the Nuggets or Hornets this past summer? How can Chris Paul be the best if Chauncey dominates him?

Wow. Again, your logic is flawed.

Head-to-head does not always determine who is the best NBA player.

If Chris Paul outplays the opposing PG in 95% of the games, while Chauncy Billups outplays the opposing PG in 80% of the games, then Paul is better, regardless if the games against Billups made up that measley 5%.

Head-to-head is a logic trap. Billups outplays Paul. Paul outplays Parker. Parker outplays Billups. (this is an example; not stating this as an actual comparison). Now what?

Again, my logic is flawless and yours is incredibly weak.

Wait so your argument is founded on the principle that just beause Billups is better than Paul, he isn't better than Paul because Paul is better than other people? This is why you can't claim Chris Paul to be an elite talent because I defy you to name two shooting guards that would have a clear advantage over Kobe or Dwayne Wade in a 7 game series. Okay, now name a small forward who would rock Lebron's world in a head-to-head match-up. All right, gimme a pair of 4s who would make KG and Duncan look bad. And some centers who would embarrass Dwight over the course of a playoff series. You can't for the six players I just mentioned and that is why they are considered the best in the league: because there aren't people better than them.

And to answer your hypothetical question: nothing happens because stuff like is very common among great NBA players. But not when were talking about the top 3 players in the league. Those players have an advantage everytime they step on the court.

Kramer, haven't had a chance to respond to you.

This was a good explanation of what you meant by Billups vs Paul. Very nice.

I actually think you argument here is very strong. The only hedge to it that I have is that it is dependent upon strength of position in the league at the time.

For example, Dwight dominates right now because the center position is horrible in the league. If he played during the time of Hakeem, Patrick and The Admiral, then he suddenly drops significantly. So since he can say that no one can dominate him at his position today (although I might argue that he struggles mightily with Yao - pre-injury), you are suggesting that he should be rated higher than Paul because CP3 cannot say the same thing. But part of that situation is that the PG position is a lot stronger in the NBA right now than the center position.

Again, there is no perfect argument/method of determining this stuff, so I am not discounting your argument. In fact, I think that it's a very strong measuring stick. But, there are always exceptions (which was your point relevant to the "Paul vs Billups vs Parker" game).

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by gporter:

1. King James

2. Kobe

3. Wade

These are the three best players in the NBA, and then there is Dwight.

After Dwight, I wouldn't even say Chris Paul is next, but he is #1 PG, for sure.

Let me ask you this: who had the advantage at the point guard position, the Nuggets or Hornets this past summer? How can Chris Paul be the best if Chauncey dominates him?

Wow. Again, your logic is flawed.

Head-to-head does not always determine who is the best NBA player.

If Chris Paul outplays the opposing PG in 95% of the games, while Chauncy Billups outplays the opposing PG in 80% of the games, then Paul is better, regardless if the games against Billups made up that measley 5%.

Head-to-head is a logic trap. Billups outplays Paul. Paul outplays Parker. Parker outplays Billups. (this is an example; not stating this as an actual comparison). Now what?

Again, my logic is flawless and yours is incredibly weak.

Wait so your argument is founded on the principle that just beause Billups is better than Paul, he isn't better than Paul because Paul is better than other people? This is why you can't claim Chris Paul to be an elite talent because I defy you to name two shooting guards that would have a clear advantage over Kobe or Dwayne Wade in a 7 game series. Okay, now name a small forward who would rock Lebron's world in a head-to-head match-up. All right, gimme a pair of 4s who would make KG and Duncan look bad. And some centers who would embarrass Dwight over the course of a playoff series. You can't for the six players I just mentioned and that is why they are considered the best in the league: because there aren't people better than them.

And to answer your hypothetical question: nothing happens because stuff like is very common among great NBA players. But not when were talking about the top 3 players in the league. Those players have an advantage everytime they step on the court.

For example, Dwight dominates right now because the center position is horrible in the league. If he played during the time of Hakeem, Patrick and The Admiral, then he suddenly drops significantly. So since he can say that no one can dominate him at his position today (although I might argue that he struggles mightily with Yao - pre-injury), you are suggesting that he should be rated higher than Paul because CP3 cannot say the same thing. But part of that situation is that the PG position is a lot stronger in the NBA right now than the center position.

And for this reason alone, comparing centers to point guards is kind of pointless and asinine. Because while Dwight has an advantage every time he puts his sneakers on, it may have more to do with an incredibly limited talent pool than anything else. I like position rankings a lot more than these overall rankings.