Sign in to follow this  
You're Fat, Pat!

The Official 2009 NCAA Football Thread

Lewis, there is simply no way that UF would want to ride it out with Addazio as head coach for 1 recruiting class. It doesn't make any sense, especially when there was interest from the Stoops camp, and many quality candidates out there with actual head coaching experience like Tuberville, Petersen, and Patterson. Foley fired Zook in the middle of the season when it was evident that he was not going to turn things around. He would not risk he long term health of the program over one recruiting class, unless he was confident that Meyer's leave of absence was legitimate. Seriously, this would be like making Jeff Bowden head coach 5 years ago if Bobby retired to save a recruiting class.

quote:
Originally posted by magicfan83:

Lewis, there is simply no way that UF would want to ride it out with Addazio as head coach for 1 recruiting class. It doesn't make any sense, especially when there was interest from the Stoops camp, and many quality candidates out there with actual head coaching experience like Tuberville, Petersen, and Patterson. Foley fired Zook in the middle of the season when it was evident that he was not going to turn things around. He would not risk he long term health of the program over one recruiting class, unless he was confident that Meyer's leave of absence was legitimate. Seriously, this would be like making Jeff Bowden head coach 5 years ago if Bobby retired to save a recruiting class.

The major difference is that UF fans tend to jump off a cliff when you have 9 win seasons while FSU fans stare blindly into the past thinking "wow we have such a great coach and a couple national titles" while we enter mediocrity.

Losing UM almost guarantees all players considering the NFL will leave as well as most of your top level recruits. It took a great effort to bring elam back.

I think the entire situation happened too fast at the worst possible time, if UF admin had any idea this was going to happen they would have kept charlie strong as the heir. All the good coaches have been taken.

The way things will play out is Addazio (who you guys arent thrilled with at all) will be the scape goat for a sub par season(by UF standards). Then you can grab the next up and coming coach.

First of all... just gonna say... would it kill you guys to cut out some of the earlier quotes in your posts? I mean I don't know if I've ever seen more run on's.

And Lewis. We all know your the biggest FSU fan out there, (no problem with that, I was raised a Gator, going to UCF now, and unless their playing my two favorite teams, I like to see all teams in our state do well) could it be that you expect the negative out of Meyer simply because he is at UF?

I really think that Meyer just felt really stressed out. Announced he was stepping down, thought on it for a night, then just decided hey you know what, I really just need some time off to relax, and reasess how to run my life as it pertains to coaching and my family. This isn't the first time a high profile coach decided to leave Florida then thought on it and decided it would be smarter to return is it?

And Magicfan83 has a very valid point. UF's admin and Foley could have had anyone right after Urban left, especially with Stoops actually legitimately having interest. There would be no reason to let Addazio be a scapegoat for a bad year (in a very winnable SEC east btw, even with the loss of a senior class, Florida talent wise is still the best team in that division) when you can immediately start rebuilding for the future and take the risk of letting all those high profile coaches go somewhere else.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:

The major difference is that UF fans tend to jump off a cliff when you have 9 win seasons while FSU fans stare blindly into the past thinking "wow we have such a great coach and a couple national titles" while we enter mediocrity.

Losing UM almost guarantees all players considering the NFL will leave as well as most of your top level recruits. It took a great effort to bring elam back.

I think the entire situation happened too fast at the worst possible time, if UF admin had any idea this was going to happen they would have kept charlie strong as the heir. All the good coaches have been taken.

The way things will play out is Addazio (who you guys arent thrilled with at all) will be the scape goat for a sub par season(by UF standards). Then you can grab the next up and coming coach.

Florida could have taken nearly any CF coach they wanted. All the good coaches gone? Strong hadn't even signed his contract yet so he could have had the job easily. The guys are going to the draft anyway, well except for the one Pouncey Twin and I doubt Major Wright or Black leave. Addazio is a great recruiter, I just thinks he sucks as an offensive coordinator but then he did what people called for all year and that is throw the ball vs Cincy.

He should be better hopefully with Brantly who don't be surprised if he is in the Heisman convo next year, the guy could easily be the 1st pick in the draft in 2012.

quote:

quote:

UF could have and would have grabbed a top coach from the time the resignation was announced to the bowl game. We wouldn't have gotten Kelly, but there was a long list of great coaches who would be realistic.

With the amount of talent returning, most of the incoming guys won't play. The guys who have the best chance are Dunkley and Powell, and maybe Floyd will rotate in at DT. The defense is STILL stacked, especially in the front 7 and at Safety. Jelani Jenkins, William Green, Omar Hunter, Jon Bostic, Janoris Jenkins, Brendan Beal are all rivals top 100, and there are many more. We had 2 straight top 3 classes, and last year was 11th or so but the average star rating was very high. One mediocre class of only top 25 or so really wouldn't put us behind the 8 ball. Especially if a guy like Petersen, Patterson, Stoops, Tuberville, Wittingham etc, came in and won 10 games with the amazing talent we already have. And before you say that it would hurt us down the line, we won the National Title last year when Meyer's first and weakest class were seniors, and only 9 were left by 2008.

Most likely scenario, Meyer takes his leave of absence after signing day, and goes home and spends time with his family. He'll skip all the booster meetings that he never really liked anyway, get some counseling in stress management. There are all kinds of programs offered to get that kind of stuff under control and Meyer will be involved. He comes back for Spring practice, takes some more time off, and then by the time two-a-days roll around he'll be back and recharged. UF President Machen is the one who actually offered the leave of absence, not Foley, and Machen actually took a leave of absence during his time as President elsewhere, thought he wouldn't come back to his job, went to Europe. He came back recharged. Most fired coaches take a year off, a leave of absence is not anything new. Really, all the evidence points to it being legitimate, and the only ones really thinking Meyer is doing this just to get recruits into school just to ditch them in a month are FSU fans crying conspiracy. The reality is, if Meyer was REALLY doing what you are suggesting, the program would be decimated by mass transfers and early entries to the draft, but it would only happen a year later instead of right now. It really doesn't make any sense.

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Like I said, if you're naive enough to think what happened at Florida State doesn't go on everywhere else please get a vasectomy now.

Elam just committed to Florida during the Army game, guy flip flops more than John Kerry.

Yeah because Meyer isn't going anywhere like I said the whole time.

you dont know that yet.

Meyer has been saying that to all of his recruits. By the way we got Elam,Shariff and Powell and a 5 star wider receiver the other day. This class is now the #1 class by a landslide. But,but,but Meyer's announcement is going to kill this class, what a joke.

It did until he said he was coming back. Are you that dumb to think that if Urban had stayed retired you would have all these guys. Seriously, are you REALLY that stupid?

Dude Meyer was never going to retire and recruits still would rather play for Florida.

The official statement from Urban Meyer on the 26th:

Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.

He WAS retiring. He was losing several recruits. He changed his mind.

If you look at the words he's saying he's going to take a leave of absence now and when his health gets better he's going to coach again. Doctors haven't told him that (he implied that at his press conference). He feels in his gut that he'll coach in the fall. August can still show up without Urban on the field. Once national signing day comes around I think we'll get another retirement announcement.

The guy checked out fine, he has stress and just needs to learn how to deal with it. He isn't going anywhere unfortunately for you. Not to mention recruits would still rather play for Addazio then Florida St haha that's funny by itself.

I dunno man, i've got connections to higher ups at UF that say he's done. Just wait until fall comes and he's not there.

He is in his 40's why would he retire? So a year later he can go take a job that's no where as good as the one he had? The guy had chest pain, got it checked out and the doctors said it was stress related.

He obviously just needs a break and to learn some ways to get rid of that stress and let some people help him with his workload. It took him less than 24 hours to realize he made a huge mistake. The guy obviously still wants to coach.

As far as the higher ups, I'm sure there are a lot of people with 10x better connections than you who all say they expect him back. Not to mention all the recruits who hear it out of his own mouth.

look at whats at stake here. Why would meyer tell the truth to the recruits?

i'd be suprised if he's coaching this year.

Why would he? Because most coaches have some integrity and realize the impact on young mens lives. Sure he says not 100% but you make it seem like he is definitely not coming back and just blatantly lying to kids and their parents. I highly doubt Urban Meyer or the whole Athletic department would let that happen.

The guy felt enormous pressure from his family to quit because they were worried for his health but the guy is healthy. The fact that he changed his mind so quick proves he was never very sure of his choice in the first place. The guy will be back and these recruits aren't saying I'm coming to Florida because of Meyer, really Brown and Elam are the only ones who are really close with Meyer and obviously Elam still wants to be a Gator.

We're talking about Urban Meyer here.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Like I said, if you're naive enough to think what happened at Florida State doesn't go on everywhere else please get a vasectomy now.

Elam just committed to Florida during the Army game, guy flip flops more than John Kerry.

Yeah because Meyer isn't going anywhere like I said the whole time.

you dont know that yet.

Meyer has been saying that to all of his recruits. By the way we got Elam,Shariff and Powell and a 5 star wider receiver the other day. This class is now the #1 class by a landslide. But,but,but Meyer's announcement is going to kill this class, what a joke.

It did until he said he was coming back. Are you that dumb to think that if Urban had stayed retired you would have all these guys. Seriously, are you REALLY that stupid?

Dude Meyer was never going to retire and recruits still would rather play for Florida.

The official statement from Urban Meyer on the 26th:

Urban Meyer is stepping down as coach of the Florida football team, athletics director Jeremy Foley announced Saturday afternoon in a release.

"I have given my heart and soul to coaching college football and mentoring young men for the last 24-plus years and I have dedicated most of my waking moments the last five years to the Gator football program," Meyer said in statement. "I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to re-evaluate my priorities of faith and family.

"After consulting with my family, Dr. Machen, Jeremy Foley and my doctors, I believe it is in my best interest to step aside and focus on my health and family.

He WAS retiring. He was losing several recruits. He changed his mind.

If you look at the words he's saying he's going to take a leave of absence now and when his health gets better he's going to coach again. Doctors haven't told him that (he implied that at his press conference). He feels in his gut that he'll coach in the fall. August can still show up without Urban on the field. Once national signing day comes around I think we'll get another retirement announcement.

The guy checked out fine, he has stress and just needs to learn how to deal with it. He isn't going anywhere unfortunately for you. Not to mention recruits would still rather play for Addazio then Florida St haha that's funny by itself.

I dunno man, i've got connections to higher ups at UF that say he's done. Just wait until fall comes and he's not there.

He is in his 40's why would he retire? So a year later he can go take a job that's no where as good as the one he had? The guy had chest pain, got it checked out and the doctors said it was stress related.

He obviously just needs a break and to learn some ways to get rid of that stress and let some people help him with his workload. It took him less than 24 hours to realize he made a huge mistake. The guy obviously still wants to coach.

As far as the higher ups, I'm sure there are a lot of people with 10x better connections than you who all say they expect him back. Not to mention all the recruits who hear it out of his own mouth.

look at whats at stake here. Why would meyer tell the truth to the recruits?

i'd be suprised if he's coaching this year.

Why would he? Because most coaches have some integrity and realize the impact on young mens lives. Sure he says not 100% but you make it seem like he is definitely not coming back and just blatantly lying to kids and their parents. I highly doubt Urban Meyer or the whole Athletic department would let that happen.

The guy felt enormous pressure from his family to quit because they were worried for his health but the guy is healthy. The fact that he changed his mind so quick proves he was never very sure of his choice in the first place. The guy will be back and these recruits aren't saying I'm coming to Florida because of Meyer, really Brown and Elam are the only ones who are really close with Meyer and obviously Elam still wants to be a Gator.

We're talking about Urban Meyer here.

Good one I hope he drops 60 on you guys next year.

It's good for him, he's a west coast guy and let's face it, USC > Tennessee. Yes VaBch, USC > Tennessee. Is Monte going with him?

EDIT: This is why we read the articles Trey...

If Lane is smart he will never go into the state of Tennessee ever again. I know some Vols fans and as far as there concerned he is lower then scum. Have to agree with them too. Haven't seen a hose job like this since Saban. Smart move by Kiffin but also a dick move.

Don't understand though why USC would take him of all people. You can't tell me there wasn't someone more qualified out there right now.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

wait.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OK, I think I'm good.

So, USC which is looking at sanctions, just hired Lane Kiffin, who takes recruiting violations as a complement! To top it all off, he went 7-5 and his tenure at Oakland was an unmitigated disaster! AND, the Vols are left high and dry and Kiffin is taking most of his staff with him so it'll be tough to salvage the class.

HAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA