Sign in to follow this  
You're Fat, Pat!

The Official 2009 NCAA Football Thread

quote:
Originally posted by TreyTime:

News Flash: Georgia sucks this year! They were a mediocre team last year that lost their QB and RB.c

News Flash: It's not good defense in the SEC, it's more bad offense.

You're right, you don't have Duke, Virginia, Maryland or BC. You have Miss St, Vandy, Kentucky, Arkansas.

You're conference is top heavy. Outside of UF, LSU and Bama it's mediocre or downright ****, just like the ACC. Difference if the top heavy part of the ACC is Miami, VT, UNC, FSU and GT (who is a good team, they're just a running team and nobody runs on Miami).

You give no reason or facts other than I say so. Arkansas is bad? Kentucky? Vandy? you have no idea what you are talking about.

quote:
Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

quote:

News Flash: Georgia sucks this year! They were a mediocre team last year that lost their QB and RB.c

You're right, you don't have Duke, Virginia, Maryland or BC. You have Miss St, Vandy, Kentucky, Arkansas.

You're conference is top heavy. Outside of UF, LSU and Bama it's mediocre or downright ****, just like the ACC. Difference if the top heavy part of the ACC is Miami, VT, UNC, FSU and GT (who is a good team, they're just a running team and nobody runs on Miami).

You give no reason or facts other than I say so. Arkansas is bad? Kentucky? Vandy? you have no idea what you are talking about.

As opposed to your evidence of "They play in the SEC so they must be good".

quote:
Originally posted by Drunk on Mystery:

quote:

quote:

As opposed to your evidence of "They play in the SEC so they must be good".

The evidence is look at their roster, the coaches and the body of work. I am not going to go through the trouble of doing all of that for people who think the Sec sucks and that SC is a "bottom feeder". It deserves no time or effort. It is unbelievable that a group of people are actually arguing the Sec vs Acc. I can understand some other conferences but the Acc has clearly been the worst Bcs conference the past 7 or 8 years. Look at the numbers and bowl records and top 25 teams. Not to mention people who say the Sec does not play good defense? Thats a smart argument considering the NFL draft always has an abundance of SEC players in the draft and the stats show that the SEC is clearly the best defensive conference by far. Not to mention what they do to other conferences and "elite offenses in bowl games. Its all good though when Florida plays vs Florida St this year I will be back and they will all run.

So your argument is "Because I say so; I MEAN LOOK!" without much regard to what is actually supposed to be looked at, but the larger scale argument being made against that point, the point that the SEC has, like any other conference, powerhouses AND crappy teams that get beat up by the powerhouses, is somehow lost on you.

Look at the track record? Yeah, you can say that South Carolina was 3-1 against non-conference teams last year, and in a vacuum that's pretty impressive.

But when you consider the 4 teams they played were UAB, Wofford and NC State, before playing Iowa in the Outback bowl and getting annihilated to finish the season 7-6. Hell, they only beat Wofford by 10 and UAB by 13. Not like they were dominating the weak competition either.

quote:

So your argument is "Because I say so; I MEAN LOOK!" without much regard to what is actually supposed to be looked at, but the larger scale argument being made against that point, the point that the SEC has, like any other conference, powerhouses AND crappy teams that get beat up by the powerhouses, is somehow lost on you.

Look at the track record? Yeah, you can say that South Carolina was 3-1 against non-conference teams last year, and in a vacuum that's pretty impressive.

But when you consider the 4 teams they played were UAB, Wofford and NC State, before playing Iowa in the Outback bowl and getting annihilated to finish the season 7-6. Hell, they only beat Wofford by 10 and UAB by 13. Not like they were dominating the weak competition either.

Answer these questions

1. Do you think the Sec is the best conference and if no then who?

2. Does the Sec play the best defense?

3.Is the Acc one of the worst BCS conferences?

4. Is the ACC better than the Sec?

quote:

quote:

Answer these questions

1. Do you think the Sec is the best conference and if no then who?

2. Does the Sec play the best defense?

3.Is the Acc one of the worst BCS conferences?

4. Is the ACC better than the Sec?

1. The entire debate that started this was, ostensibly, about how you can determine team rankings early in the season because you have nothing to base it on but previous success. I have, in fact, never said whether the SEC is or is not the best conference. I've said it's far too early to tell.

In terms of last year, they might've been. They were certainly the most top heavy, even if the bottom of the conference was bloody awful, like it is every year.

However, in the last 10 years, I'd argue that the Big 12 and PAC-10 have both been better overall.

2. How the hell do you judge a whole conference's defense? 2 SEC teams just played a game with a final score of 52-41. Do I hold the entire conference accountable for that? Fine then, based on that: no. The SEC does not have the best defense.

They do have some of the most anemic offenses I've ever seen though.

3. Well Virginia is terrible. Is that all you wanted to hear?

4. Both conferences are top heavy. The SEC has a better top, I guess, the ACC has a significantly better middle, and the bottoms of the two conferences are both abysmal, but I'll give the edge to the SEC there just because of how bad Virginia is.

As much as I like ACC teams, I find it hard to argue that they are better than the SEC.

Also, over the past 5 years, you can't find a better conference than the SEC.

The SEC is better from top to bottom than the ACC, you could match up each team on down the line and the ACC may win one or two matchups.

The Pac-10 has shown to have one elite team over the past 5 years, the Big 12 has faltered massively in the postseason over the past 5 years with the exception of Texas beating USC. Oklahoma has proven to be an embarrassment in Bowl Games and I don't need to go into detail on how the Big 11 has failed recently.

Why don't we wait until the end of the season and compare SEC/ACC head to head records? I will bet that the SEC will have a better record.

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

As much as I like ACC teams, I find it hard to argue that they are better than the SEC.

The SEC is better from top to bottom than the ACC, you could match up each team on down the line and the ACC may win one or two matchups.

The Pac-10 has shown to have one elite team over the past 5 years, the Big 12 has faltered massively in the postseason over the past 5 years with the exception of Texas beating USC. Oklahoma has proven to be an embarrassment in Bowl Games and I don't need to go into detail on how the Big 11 has failed recently.

Why don't we wait until the end of the season and compare SEC/ACC head to head records? I will bet that the SEC will have a better record.

Yeah you are exactly right, the fact that anyone would argue that the Acc is anywhere near the Sec is crazy. Now the big 12 is the only argument I think but they prove that when against the Sec they can't compete. The records speak for themselves in the past decade, the Sec is the best conference in college football and its not going to change anytime soon.

quote:

No Duke sucks, Va sucks, Georgia does not suck. Just because they aren't NC contenders does not mean they "suck". They are better or equal to any team in the Acc other than Miami. Do you really think UNC,Georgia,VT or Fsu, would beat Georgia? They might half the time which does not make them better.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Osprey23:

Yeah you are exactly right, the fact that anyone would argue that the Acc is anywhere near the Sec is crazy. Now the big 12 is the only argument I think but they prove that when against the Sec they can't compete. The records speak for themselves in the past decade, the Sec is the best conference in college football and its not going to change anytime soon.

The SEC is probably the best conference. its it early to tell right now.

What people took exception with is when you said that every sec team would beat every ACC team which is just plain false.

Like others said, both are top heavy. With teams like LSU and UF winning NC's in the past few years you could say that the SEC's top is > The ACC's top.