Originally posted by VaBchMagicFan:

quote:
Originally posted by You're Fat, Pat!:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by COLOMBIANO:

Is he NBA ready?

No, my dad scouted him in college and in Europe.

Wowowowow...Let's take that back a sec. Scout? For who?

I have said this before my Dad worked for the Magic and numerous other teams as a scout and other positions. Thats how I had season tickets for 9 years. He doesn't work in the NBA anymore though. I grew up watching every NBA game on TV from a scouts point of view and it drove me crazy.

Drove you crazy in a good way or bad? lol

Whoopsies i ****ed up

When I was younger I hated it. Scouts look for things that most people would never notice, it was hard to watch a game. But I love watching games with him now plus he has tons of friends in the business and I get someone with actual knowledge's perspective on the Magic players. Lets say that it varies greatly from most opinions on this board.

same thing happens when you play on a very disciplined team. Players in the NBA dont box out, dont crash the boards, play D poorly, walk up the court alot, freelance in the offense too much, etc.

It really ruined the game for me for a while.

quote:
Originally posted by Tough Break There:

quote:
play D poorly

Honestly think this is the most common misconception of the NBA. By far, this league plays the most intense defense in the world.

Compared to every other league that is true, but if half the effort was given by most players defensively as it was offensively it could be a lot better. The problem is defense is not really taught nor stressed by most coaches at the beginning stages of basketball.

quote:

quote:

quote:
play D poorly

Honestly think this is the most common misconception of the NBA. By far, this league plays the most intense defense in the world.

Compared to every other league that is true, but if half the effort was given by most players defensively as it was offensively it could be a lot better. The problem is defense is not really taught nor stressed by most coaches at the beginning stages of basketball.

right, they play tough D but its filled with poor habits and lack of effort on occasion.

quote:
Originally posted by Lewis4thewin:

quote:

quote:

quote:
play D poorly

right, they play tough D but its filled with poor habits and lack of effort on occasion.

Gentlement, these are amazingly sweeping generalizations.

Are you talking about the Knicks and the Suns? Then I agree with you.

Are you talking about the Rockets, Cavs and Celtics? Or the Pistons of a few years back? Then I don't agree with you.

There are huge differences of philosophy in the NBA, both for coaches and players.

Are you talking about Zach Randolph or Kevin Garnett?

To so generally label NBA players as having poor habits or giving half the effort is as ridiculous as saying that the NBA players with tatoos and cornrows are gang affiliated.

quote:

When I was younger I hated it. Scouts look for things that most people would never notice, it was hard to watch a game. But I love watching games with him now plus he has tons of friends in the business and I get someone with actual knowledge's perspective on the Magic players. Lets say that it varies greatly from most opinions on this board.

Lol, are these the same scouts who were blown away when Ryan Humphrey's beat Boozer in a game of 1 on 1 & thought Brian Cook would give Orlando "exactly what it needed"? I guess they were so busy looking at those other things they didn't notice Johnny Taylor, Jeryl Sasser, & Reece Gaines couldn't shoot?

Seriously, if you've boxed, you see fights very differently than casual fans because you understand the fundamentals & intricacies of the sport. If you've played any sport seriously, you see it differently than a casual fan for the same reason.

Ironically, there's a pretty healthy percentage of NBA scouts & front office personell with no background in basketball. No offense, but most scouts are wanna be coaches who've washed out at levels well below the pro's.

Which is why college coaches (football & basketball), on top of coaching, & recruiting, still do an exponentially better job scouting players from an infinitely larger talent pool with much less information/history to eval.

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

Lol, are these the same scouts who were blown away when Ryan Humphrey's beat Boozer in a game of 1 on 1 & thought Brian Cook would give Orlando "exactly what it needed"? I guess they were so busy looking at those other things they didn't notice Johnny Taylor, Jeryl Sasser, & Reece Gaines couldn't shoot?

Seriously, if you've boxed, you see fights very differently than casual fans because you understand the fundamentals & intricacies of the sport. If you've played any sport seriously, you see it differently than a casual fan for the same reason.

Ironically, there's a pretty healthy percentage of NBA scouts & front office personell with no background in basketball. No offense, but most scouts are wanna be coaches who've washed out at levels well below the pro's.

Which is why college coaches (football & basketball), on top of coaching, & recruiting, still do an exponentially better job scouting players from an infinitely larger talent pool.

Being a scout is very hard, unless you know a ton of people you will basically work for free or very little for a long time. To say NBA scouts are not very good at their jobs shows you know nothing. These guys are the best of the best and only get the jobs because of a great track record built over a long period of time. These guys have a keen eye for a player and NBA coaches do not watch that many games. Scouts follow players all college season while NBA coaches are coaching. Scouts have far better knowledge about everything about a prospect than a coach does. To comment on this when I doubt you have any knowledge at all is beyond me. Coaches listen to their scouts almost exclusively when drafting unless you have some crazy owner who does whatever he wants.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
play D poorly

Are you talking about the Rockets, Cavs and Celtics? Or the Pistons of a few years back? Then I don't agree with you.

There are huge differences of philosophy in the NBA, both for coaches and players.

To so generally label NBA players as having poor habits or giving half the effort is as ridiculous as saying that the NBA players with tatoos and cornrows are gang affiliated.

To say that most players in the NBA and college and highschool are more worried about offensive numbers than playing defense is the truth. The truth is from a very young age most players are taught and see on TV to be a good player its all about offensive numbers.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
play D poorly

To say that most players in the NBA and college and highschool are more worried about offensive numbers than playing defense is the truth. The truth is from a very young age most players are taught and see on TV to be a good player its all about offensive numbers.

Fair enough. While I agree, I actually think it is the least true at the NBA level. When adults realize that a particular niche is how to stay in a league and get multi-million dollar contracts, then they will put their effort there. There are numerous players at the NBA level that know that defense is their bread-and-butter and their way of staying on a payroll, so that's where they'll put their effort.

At the college, high school, etc levels, kids believe that they will be scoring juggernauts.

How appropriate of me to criticize generalizations, then join right in.

No two-facedness here. No, not at all.... lol.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by KillingInTheNameOf:

quote:

Which is why college coaches (football & basketball), on top of coaching, & recruiting, still do an exponentially better job scouting players from an infinitely larger talent pool.

Being a scout is very hard, unless you know a ton of people you will basically work for free or very little for a long time. To say NBA scouts are not very good at their jobs shows you know nothing. These guys are the best of the best and only get the jobs because of a great track record built over a long period of time. These guys have a keen eye for a player and NBA coaches do not watch that many games. Scouts follow players all college season while NBA coaches are coaching. Scouts have far better knowledge about everything about a prospect than a coach does. To comment on this when I doubt you have any knowledge at all is beyond me. Coaches listen to their scouts almost exclusively when drafting unless you have some crazy owner who does whatever he wants.

It's amussing to me that scouts don't produce significantly different evals or player rankings than idiots like Jonathan Givony & Mel Kiper...