Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

3rd PG signing critical to Magic(Kennedy, Mass-RealGM)

I think I'm still all for bringing back Arroyo. I like Watson and Williams but Arroyo is the one that makes the most sense to me. Knows the players and system and can get the job done. Just let him know what his role is upfront and everything should be fine.

we are for sure going to get a third pg so that im not worried about but if that guy ends up being arroyo i will be dissapointed. i cant stand his play. i for one would be much happier with j will even over arroyo but thats just me

quote:
Originally posted by Drain-O:

quote:
Tragic, we know.

lulz.

A blatant, yet somewhat clever shot at TragicFan on RealGM... all I can say is WOW!

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

lackluster article...must have written that over a few beers and cleaned wing bones at Hooters whilst watching the UFC fights, understandable, they were boring...

Yea, no kidding.. and I'm STILL miffed with Forrest Griffin.

Anyway.. even though it changes all the time the more I think about this, here's what I'm praying for before I go to sleep every night:

1. C.J. Watson (sign-and-trade)

2. Anthony Carter

3. Flip Murray (Even though I think Flip > A.C. overall, I say Carter over Murray for the Magic's sake. Because of A.C.'s defense and passing over Flip's pure shooting. When you have multiple all stars, IMO you need passing/defense from the role players more than shooting. Of course, SVG might disagree...)

4. Bobby Jackson

5. Jason Williams

6. Carlos Arroyo (How is J-Will riskier than Arroyo for the Magic?? I say J-Will has Arroyo's talent with less chemistry issues, and probably less ball-hogging to boot. It's hard to ignore that we own Carlos' bird rights though, so at least we aren't limited to the vet minimum with him. Arroyo is in like, "last resort" territory to me.)

7. Jamal Tinsley (Anthony Carter's better, and comes with less baggage. Sooo just get Carter instead maybe, Otis. But that being said.. Tinsley for the minimum is better than nothing. Or a bunch of the guys that are left, to be specific.)

8. Mike Taylor (for grooming/developing purposes. Pretty much the only #3 PG I wouldn't mind getting.)

After that, I honestly don't care. I don't think any other options could beat out A.J. for 2nd string. So if we don't get any of those eight guys, short of some mind-blowing trade for Duhon or something, I'm gonna be disappointed and nervous.

This roster is like a fantastic download that's 98% complete. I wish the other 2% would hurry the hell up, already!

You have Jackson and Carter ranked higher than Williams and Arroyo. Carter can't even shoot and Jackson plays more like an off guard not a pg. Murray is the same as Jackson. What happens if Howard is doubled and Carter is left wide open, he will jack up a brick and that will be a wasted possession. In our offense the PG has to be able to knock down the 3. Carter is terrible at shooting 3s.

Kennedy on Jason Williams...

quote:

Williams will be turning thirty-four at the start of the season and hasn't played professional basketball in over a year after a temporary retirement. While he reportedly had an impressive workout with the New York Knicks, they renounced their exclusive negotiating rights and are exploring other options. Willians and Stan Van Gundy do have history with one another from their days in Miami and he does reside in Orlando so the Magic could attract the veteran, but whether or not he is worth the risk looms.

Mass on Williams and Arroyo...

quote:

Over the past few days, there has been speculation surrounding guard Jason Williams. He suddenly retired last season after signing with the Los Angeles Clippers. This leads me to believe a losing situation does not appeal to him if he is only going to make the minimum. His first option is likely to get some more money for his family and future. If that does not come about though, he could look at signing with a contender like Orlando.

That leads to another question as to whether he can or thinks he can beat out Anthony Johnson for the backup point guard slot. This is a toss up at best and if he could not, would he get upset at the end of the bench?

There is also the possibility of bringing Carlos Arroyo back after a tough season overseas. The Magic still hold his Bird rights so they could give him more than the minimum. Despite the Arroyo bashing that seems to go on, the guy is a quality backup and could even be in the first category.

If there is a question in anyone's mind whether or not Jason Williams could beat out Anthony Johnson for the back-up spot I'm not sure why anyone would want him.

Thanks for the take Howard and Alex...couldn't agree more...

Well we have 16-18mpg to offer 1 of those backup pgs behind Nelson. Arroyo and Williams would be perfect for that role. There is no way Johnson beat out both of them. Hell I just might look at Mr. (They tried to put me in a box) Starbury over Johnson. I just don't like Johnson's game personally.

First of all, I think the term "critical" is overstated in this case.

Big difference between "important" and "critical".

I would have no big problem if Arroyo turns out to be the selection. I don't see a problem with role definition between Arroyo and Nelson. Maybe between Arroyo and AJ, but not Arroyo and Nelson.

Sure, we'll get Arroyo fanatics on the boards arguing he should be starting over Nelson, but that has absolutely nothing to do with team chemistry and players understanding their roles.

If nothing else, the difference in salaries alone pre-defines the understanding of the roles. That wasn't the case the last time Arroyo was here.

I'm not saying he's the best PG available, but it would be better than not having a 3rd PG, or another aging veteran at PG who would struggle playing 30+ minutes a game on an extended basis.

The question Otis would have to ask himself is if anything happens to Nelson, with Johnson as backup, which pg out there do I feel comfortable running the offense with. To me its clearly Arroyo cause we know already what to expect from him. He can lead this team if anything happens to Nelson.

quote:
Originally posted by ball junkie:

If we can't get Watson I still like Arroyo the best...can't figure out why I don't see his name being linked anywhere...and I mean you don't see it anywhere on the net.

Weird...

If I may, I"ll try to explain! Arroyo wants to play only for the Magic and is waiting for a better offer from Otis, if he does not get it, he'll go back to Europe or else he will go fishing and take Yoga lessons for the rest of the year!jajajaja!

1) Jamaal Tinsley

2) Flip Murray

3) Bobby Jackson

if we could get one of these guys, I think these would be the top 3 guys. I know nobody is going to agree with Jamaal Tinsley, but he is obviously the most talented guy on the list. I know he has had some off the court issues, but you never know he might want to attempt to fix his image within the nba and compete for a title. He could play as jameers backup for a year and try to show people what he can do and play for a bigger contract from another team, after this season. If I am not mistaking I think otis said that he had a deal in place to get tinsley if the rafer deal would have fallen through. In his last season he averaged 12 points 9 assists and 2 steals.. If he can play here like he did before last season, without the character issues, then it would be HUGE for us..

I have always liked bobby jackson and flip murray, I just think somehow murray will get some more money somewhere else because of him coming off a good season, and bobby jackson is getting up there in age also, but if he has anything left, he would be a solid pickup.