Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Arroyo wants a "starting gig" - RealGM's Howard Mass comments(top of pg. 6)

quote:
Originally posted by CarlosDarwin:

Look everybody, Isn't suppose that we have fun in these message boards? Arroyo is not with the team yet and this board has become alive. Come on, don't be afraid bring Arroyo back, the boards would be much more fun!

Another thing, isn't the Magic looking for a back up PG that could also start games in case Jameer is injured? If that's so, we need a guy capable and willing to take on the responsibility! There is nothing wrong if Arroyo wants to start, he will be ready for when we need him to do so, remember, he did just that the last time he was here, and very well indeed!

+1

quote:
Originally posted by ivielma:

Look people...don't get me wrong, I like Arroyo (see a long previous post like 2 years old)...but there is no way in hell Otis brings him back. Don't you all remember the countless "Start Arroyo" and "Bench Jameer" threads. After awhile I was glad that Arroyo left because all the Arroyo elitists went with him. Trust me, when I first found out Arroyo was a Magic I was ecstatic but it grew into discontent as the message boards were filled with unfair garbage about how he was the saviour etc. etc. No way we can go back to that. As someone pointed out, that was going to be the direction of this coming year if Alston stayed. Otis is way smarter than most people think. I'm with Smack Daddy on this one...I have a better chance at joining Smack Daddy and Jessica Alba with those naughty 6 friends than Arroyo coming here!!!

I agree on not bringing in Arroyo - I really don't think he is very good - that is the biggest reason - if he were really good and our best point guard I wouldn't mind the Arroyo love fest, but he just isn't that good.

Now, on Rafer, I don't fully agree - there may be some truth to what you say, but I think as big if not a bigger stumbling block was his contract.

Rafer was due to earn $5.2 million a season and that is just too much for a backup and he was used in picking up VC - his expiring contract made him more valuable in trade. Losing Courtney hurts as I do think he has potential to be a Rip Hamilton, but I think the trade was a good one.

With all the expense the Magic were facing they couldn't afford to pay $5.2 million for a backup. I think Rafer would have been fine as a backup, but he did pout an awful lot during the finals with his minutes cut a bit.

So there probably is some truth in what you say, but I would say that his contract was easily as much a problem if not more - we were faced with signing Hedo - instead VC, we were faced with teams wanting to sign Gortat and possibly for the MLE, etc. and the Magic just couldn't pay $5.2 million for a backup, although Rafer would have been an excellent backup. His contract almost assured that we couldn't keep him and as a result any possible conflict over playing time was removed.

Rafer is good enough to start on NBA teams, Jameer was an All Star. Rafer is paid starters money.

quote:
Originally posted by Legal eagle:

quote:
Originally posted by emory889:

Carlos hasn't started for a team since his days in Utah. I can't imagine what makes him think he can start now....even on a poor team.

I must respectfully disagree ... as I remember, Carlos did start for the Magic, for a while, a season ago ... the Magic winning most of those games in which he started ...

In fact, many board members, and not only Carlos "homeys", where claiming for him to keep the starting job ... many even argued that Jameer would be better coming of the bench ...

Now, I'm certainly not saying he should start now ... just to make it clear ...

Those were the idiots saying that - not Knappy - if nothing else Knappy was consistent about Jameer being the starter with huge upside and Arroyo being over rated. Knappy was very consistent with his hatred for Brian Hill as well. I don't know if I have said it in a while so here goes, I still hate Brian Hill for what he did and he is still the worse coach ever.

quote:
Originally posted by Rodriguez:

quote:

Look everybody, Isn't suppose that we have fun in these message boards? Arroyo is not with the team yet and this board has become alive. Come on, don't be afraid bring Arroyo back, the boards would be much more fun!

Another thing, isn't the Magic looking for a back up PG that could also start games in case Jameer is injured? If that's so, we need a guy capable and willing to take on the responsibility! There is nothing wrong if Arroyo wants to start, he will be ready for when we need him to do so, remember, he did just that the last time he was here, and very well indeed!

+1

I think you both deserve a timeout for your thinking here.

quote:
Originally posted by Knappy:

quote:
Originally posted by Rodriguez:

quote:

+1

I think you both deserve a timeout for your thinking here.

Come on Knnapy, join the sign Arroyo now Otis van wagon. You would (of all the people) enjoy it more than everybody else.

Even if Carlos Arroyo has starting talent, which has been debated for literally years on this forum... he took a year off from the NBA, and was mostly a backup when he left. This has to be talk from his agent or something, he can't expect an EXPANDED role after a lengthy ABSCENCE. In short, it's a silly notion. He's gotta earn his way into big NBA minutes, no matter what team he goes to.

I can't see any NBA team guaranteeing him anything more than being the immediate backup. Hell on some teams I'd bet he couldn't be any better than 3rd right off the bat!

But yes, if his head is still "me, me, me" instead of "team, team, team," then I want him nowhere near the Magic. I'm glad he's out there though, the more PGs in the market, then the more to go around.

quote:
Posted earlier by Skywise316:

Even if Carlos Arroyo has starting talent, which has been debated for literally years on this forum... he took a year off from the NBA, and was mostly a backup when he left. This has to be talk from his agent or something, he can't expect an EXPANDED role after a lengthy ABSCENCE. In short, it's a silly notion.

I agree!