Sign in to follow this  
Murphy13

Barnes, Battier, and more...

Can someone please explain this infatuation people have with Matt Barnes playing for our team here? I bolded that part because I have no problem with Matt Barnes as a player. But, he doesnt fit a need for our team at all:

Yes, we need a SF. But, he doesnt fit our starting SF mold to begin with. Matt Barnes is essentially a poor man's Mikael Pietrus, except that Barnes is a career 33% 3 point shooter and not as good a defender. Hustling doesnt mean your a good defender, and he isnt. Also, our system requires LENGTH at the 3, and barnes is literally only an inch and a half taller than JJ Redick.

Do we really want or need a small SF that cant shoot the three well and is a marginally worse defender than a duplicate talent we already have on the team(Peaches)? It just doesnt make sense. In fact, none of it makes sense to me. Can someone explain why we would be going after him over other available players(whether it be from within, FA, or trade)? Not to mention it would completely change the makeup of our versatility having a small SF playing the starting position-and we dont need a backup SF, thats what Pietrus is...and a darn good one at that.

Another thing that many are missing is that we only have 1.7MIL/season to offer him. PHX needs a SF/SG badly and would surely pay him more than that...and give him minutes. 1.7MIL is nothing for an NBA contract, its barely over the league minimum for a vet. How many minutes do we really think a player like Barnes would get in our system? Remember that Pietrus seems to disappear from the rotation at times and he is better than Barnes, and an eerily similar type of player overall(as mentioned before). Once again, I like Barnes as a player but with Pietrus do we really need him?

Other ways to go:

I like the trade with Houston for Battier best. However, would Houston agree to it? The only true SF they have aside from Battier is Ariza. Unless they try to slide chuck hayes to the 3(unlikely) they would have zero depth due to Artest's departure. Because of this, I dont think they will agree to depart with Battier(a fan favorite over there I might add as well).

Solution:

It seems like we will match Gortat, which is the right move. However, I for some reason dont see him getting moved anywhere other than Houston. For that reason, I will concentrate on Houston scenarios. After inspecting their makeup and hearing what Houston fans say what their team needs/strengths are, its apparent that they are stacked at the PF spot. Keeping in mind what SVG and OTIS/Brass like to do regarding our system(not what OMMB members think should be done with our players) it seems like we will trade with houston for another PF that can spell dwight at C for short minutes but also provide depth at PF. Two names stick out, Landry and Scola. Assuming we are unable to get Battier from them I would be happy with either of them(I see Magic Brass leaning towards Scola given their history). In this scenario, Bass would be the starter at PF but split minutes with either of the two Houston Players along with them backing up Dwight, and Shard would move to the 3 along with some of Ryno's minutes. Ryno would, however, get time at the 3 and Shard at the 4 to spread the floor for stretches. Long story short, I see our SF(s) of the future already on our roster: Shard and Ryno...this is given we dont attain Battier's services. This seems kind of complex and it may just be better to match Gortat and keep him-and in turn play Dwight less during the regular season which I am all for by the way. But, unless a new suitor comes knocking for Gortat and can offer him what he desires(pt, good team) I believe its Houston or nothing regarding a trade with Gortat.

The rest of our lineup should likely consist of SL players like russell robinson, jeremy richardson, and richard hendrix. With the exception of Robinson I doubt any of those three see playing time. Its possible Pargo gets an invite as well. I dont see many minutes behind Vince at SG, Shard/Ryno/Pietrus at the 3, Bass/Hou 4/Ryno at PF, or behind Dwight/Hou 4 at the anchor position. I do believe there are minutes to be had at backup PG because I really dont think AJ will hold onto the backup spot. Now, if Jameer goes down again, AJ would likely start over the new backup much like the Pietrus situation at the SG spot last season...but thats the only spot as of now that really seems thin under this scenario(backup pg). This is how we would look:

Dwight/(Scola or Landry)

Bass/(Scola or Landry)/Ryno

Shard/Pietrus/Ryno

Vince/Redick/Richardson

Jameer/AJ/Robinson

this would be our big lineup against teams like boston or LA or Detroit. Against most other teams we would go this route:

Dwight/(Scola or Landry)

Shard/Bass

Ryno/Pietrus

Vince/Redick

Jameer/AJ

Either way, I like both teams because it offers us flexibility depending on matchup. I believe this is the way Otis is going...so I will have to go against Denton this time about Barnes for the moment. Besides, in a small ball lineup against a team like cleveland for example Barnes wouldnt be able to play the 3 because he cant guard lebron and he cant shoot the three well anyway. What would his purpose be? In the big lineup, there wouldnt be minutes for him anyway.

In the end, I just feel like we(the collective we-meaning OMMB members) are spending too much time on Barnes. Not that its unhealthy to talk about players we desire or anything, but taking a step back and looking at the way things are unfolding with Otis, it just doesnt seem likely. Aside from another big, I dont see any new faces coming to our team aside from SL invitees.

I chose to make this a new topic because I would like to hear everyone's input and because this seems too long just for a reply to a current thread.

What do you guys and gals think?

Can someone please explain this infatuation people have with Matt Barnes playing for our team here? I bolded that part because I have no problem with Matt Barnes as a player. But, he doesnt fit a need for our team at all:

Yes, we need a SF. But, he doesnt fit our starting SF mold to begin with. Matt Barnes is essentially a poor man's Mikael Pietrus, except that Barnes is a career 33% 3 point shooter and not as good a defender. Hustling doesnt mean your a good defender, and he isnt. Also, our system requires LENGTH at the 3, and barnes is literally only an inch and a half taller than JJ Redick.

Do we really want or need a small SF that cant shoot the three well and is a marginally worse defender than a duplicate talent we already have on the team(Peaches)? It just doesnt make sense. In fact, none of it makes sense to me. Can someone explain why we would be going after him over other available players(whether it be from within, FA, or trade)? Not to mention it would completely change the makeup of our versatility having a small SF playing the starting position-and we dont need a backup SF, thats what Pietrus is...and a darn good one at that.

Another thing that many are missing is that we only have 1.7MIL/season to offer him. PHX needs a SF/SG badly and would surely pay him more than that...and give him minutes. 1.7MIL is nothing for an NBA contract, its barely over the league minimum for a vet. How many minutes do we really think a player like Barnes would get in our system? Remember that Pietrus seems to disappear from the rotation at times and he is better than Barnes, and an eerily similar type of player overall(as mentioned before). Once again, I like Barnes as a player but with Pietrus do we really need him?

Other ways to go:

I like the trade with Houston for Battier best. However, would Houston agree to it? The only true SF they have aside from Battier is Ariza. Unless they try to slide chuck hayes to the 3(unlikely) they would have zero depth due to Artest's departure. Because of this, I dont think they will agree to depart with Battier(a fan favorite over there I might add as well).

Solution:

It seems like we will match Gortat, which is the right move. However, I for some reason dont see him getting moved anywhere other than Houston. For that reason, I will concentrate on Houston scenarios. After inspecting their makeup and hearing what Houston fans say what their team needs/strengths are, its apparent that they are stacked at the PF spot. Keeping in mind what SVG and OTIS/Brass like to do regarding our system(not what OMMB members think should be done with our players) it seems like we will trade with houston for another PF that can spell dwight at C for short minutes but also provide depth at PF. Two names stick out, Landry and Scola. Assuming we are unable to get Battier from them I would be happy with either of them(I see Magic Brass leaning towards Scola given their history). In this scenario, Bass would be the starter at PF but split minutes with either of the two Houston Players along with them backing up Dwight, and Shard would move to the 3 along with some of Ryno's minutes. Ryno would, however, get time at the 3 and Shard at the 4 to spread the floor for stretches. Long story short, I see our SF(s) of the future already on our roster: Shard and Ryno...this is given we dont attain Battier's services. This seems kind of complex and it may just be better to match Gortat and keep him-and in turn play Dwight less during the regular season which I am all for by the way. But, unless a new suitor comes knocking for Gortat and can offer him what he desires(pt, good team) I believe its Houston or nothing regarding a trade with Gortat.

The rest of our lineup should likely consist of SL players like russell robinson, jeremy richardson, and richard hendrix. With the exception of Robinson I doubt any of those three see playing time. Its possible Pargo gets an invite as well. I dont see many minutes behind Vince at SG, Shard/Ryno/Pietrus at the 3, Bass/Hou 4/Ryno at PF, or behind Dwight/Hou 4 at the anchor position. I do believe there are minutes to be had at backup PG because I really dont think AJ will hold onto the backup spot. Now, if Jameer goes down again, AJ would likely start over the new backup much like the Pietrus situation at the SG spot last season...but thats the only spot as of now that really seems thin under this scenario(backup pg). This is how we would look:

Dwight/(Scola or Landry)

Bass/(Scola or Landry)/Ryno

Shard/Pietrus/Ryno

Vince/Redick/Richardson

Jameer/AJ/Robinson

this would be our big lineup against teams like boston or LA or Detroit. Against most other teams we would go this route:

Dwight/(Scola or Landry)

Shard/Bass

Ryno/Pietrus

Vince/Redick

Jameer/AJ

Either way, I like both teams because it offers us flexibility depending on matchup. I believe this is the way Otis is going...so I will have to go against Denton this time about Barnes for the moment. Besides, in a small ball lineup against a team like cleveland for example Barnes wouldnt be able to play the 3 because he cant guard lebron and he cant shoot the three well anyway. What would his purpose be? In the big lineup, there wouldnt be minutes for him anyway.

In the end, I just feel like we(the collective we-meaning OMMB members) are spending too much time on Barnes. Not that its unhealthy to talk about players we desire or anything, but taking a step back and looking at the way things are unfolding with Otis, it just doesnt seem likely. Aside from another big, I dont see any new faces coming to our team aside from SL invitees.

I chose to make this a new topic because I would like to hear everyone's input and because this seems too long just for a reply to a current thread.

What do you guys and gals think?

EXACTLY!!!

we should probably go after boozer, maggette, duhon, trajan langdan and see about getting christian leattner to come and be dwight's big man coach.

You can cross Scola off the list because unlike Gortat he's proven himself as a starter and I think he's way valuable to that team. That'd be ridiculous if we got Scola and he'd for sure be the starting PF.

I would love to some how get Scola or Battier or even Landry. But I still like the idea of Barnes Playing for the magic. He gives the team some swag and heart at the wing, plays above avg D and does not back down from anyone. He also did play with Pietrus before and they both played **** well. I think right now in this market he's one of the better deals you can find hands down, If he's willing to play for us for such a cheap contract I would love to have him. He put up like 10ppg and 5rebs last year and the suns did not even use him well enough.

I never said it would definately be scola, but I am sure Otis would ask for him. He and Landry would be two guys that could step into the backup 5 spot for us. And, With Gortat there at the 5, presumably, they still have either Scola or Landry(who they are high on) to play starter's minutes at the PF with 4 additional PF's on the roster to back him up. They can afford to get rid of a 30 year old starter for a young, potentially better starter that fits a need for them. You have to think of how it would work for both teams.

@no ma'am, I am assuming you are not a fan of Battier? Or was this another shot at all things Duke? You from Kentucky by any chance?

quote:
Originally posted by orlandomagicin09:

all i have to say is wow

I spend all that time writing an essay explaining my point of view and the best you can do is say wow? Do you just not have an opinion on the subject?

You know how some teams have guys that are know as "un-touchables" because they are either a star player, or an up-and-coming player?

Yeah, Landry and Scola are one of those to Houston.

thanxkbuy.