Sign in to follow this  
ball junkie

Finally McDyess is linked w/ Magic! Other news & notes(Denton)

that's why you play every game, and compete every night...sports are not sure things, sports are like stocks and bonds...every year there is a least a team or two that fell because of injuries or other nuances of the season...subsequently there are benefactors on the other end...it happens...but don't fool yourself by acting like were whisked into the finals solely by luck...that would be just plain ignorant...this off season hasn't even begun yet and the ticket has been punched for failure...much like last year...

I believe we just added Vince Carter to our roster and if he plays to his potential this year than we have an amazing chance to beat the Celtics and Lakers. Yeah we don't have and didn't have an amazing front line against them, but we also didn't have Vince Carter OR Jameer Nelson (healthy).

Don't be too pessimistic. We're going to be great this year.

quote:
Originally posted by rtillaree:

that's why you play every game, and compete every night...sports are not sure things, sports are like stocks and bonds...every year there is a team or two that fell because of injuries or other nuances of the season...it happens...but don't fool yourself by acting like were whisked into the finals solely by luck...that would be just plain ignorant...

Never said we got to the Finals on luck. We earned it. It won't happen again with the team we have. Unless somehow KG is injured again for the playoffs, but then they still have Sheed.

Look at the Finals, the reason we lost was because Bynum and Gasol teamed up and beat up Dwight and took his lunch money while everyone stood around and watched. If we got a guy like Sheed do you think he would allow that to happen? But instead he's going to help Kendrick Perkins and Kevin Garnett beat up on Dwight.

As great as Dwight is we can't rely on him to do everything in the paint alone, we need a PF or we won't win it all.

quote:
Originally posted by est. 1984:

I believe we just added Vince Carter to our roster and if he plays to his potential this year than we have an amazing chance to beat the Celtics and Lakers. Yeah we don't have and didn't have an amazing front line against them, but we also didn't have Vince Carter OR Jameer Nelson (healthy).

You also have to consider what we lost in order to get Carter. A lot of depth and it cost us Hedo Turkoglu and probably Gortat too.

I'm not being so pessimistic, I know we have a great team. But we are trying to win a championship, I don't think what we have will get us there.

quote:
Originally posted by Nelson3:

quote:

that's why you play every game, and compete every night...sports are not sure things, sports are like stocks and bonds...every year there is a team or two that fell because of injuries or other nuances of the season...it happens...but don't fool yourself by acting like were whisked into the finals solely by luck...that would be just plain ignorant...

Never said we got to the Finals on luck. We earned it. It won't happen again with the team we have. Unless somehow KG is injured again for the playoffs, but then they still have Sheed.

Look at the Finals, the reason we lost was because Bynum and Gasol teamed up and beat up Dwight and took his lunch money while everyone stood around and watched. If we got a guy like Sheed do you think he would allow that to happen? But instead he's going to help Kendrick Perkins and Kevin Garnett beat up on Dwight.

As great as Dwight is we can't rely on him to do everything in the paint alone, we need a PF or we won't win it all.

i'd say a more contributing factor to our defeats was the double team coming from the guards to strip dwight before he could make a move. Our point guards sucked and the lakers left them open.

quote:

I could use the lotto numbers for this weekend, whenever you get a chance...no rush...

lol

quote:

I could use the lotto numbers for this weekend, whenever you get a chance...no rush...

It doesn't take a physic to know Gasol and Garnett would eat Lewis alive.

quote:
Originally posted by Skywise316:

I'm not saying he needs to be a SF full time, far from it. But I want the Magic to have the option of sliding Shard down and not be a PF full time either. There's nothing wrong with options.

If we get a conventional PF worth playing good minutes and not being a liability, then trust me when I tell you there's worse things in the NBA than having Rashard Lewis at small forward.

This conversation began with the presumption that Shard could start at the SF which I disagree with. Since I have already said that "I'm absolutely in favor of [roster] versatility that allows Shard to move down to the 3", it would seem we have little to argue about.

quote:

Don't fool yourselves people, we won't beat Boston or LA with the roster we have now. Not enough toughness.

Then it's a good thing that we still have 7 roster spots to fill then, don't ya think?

This type of statement cracks me up, which is why I resorted to sarcasm. The season doesn't begin for another 4 months, and already we have no shot.

I'd put our current 8 man roster up against every other incomplete roster in the NBA.

quote:
Originally posted by SmackDaddy:

quote:

Don't fool yourselves people, we won't beat Boston or LA with the roster we have now. Not enough toughness.

Then it's a good thing that we still have 7 roster spots to fill then, don't ya think?

Yeah, which is why we need to make a move for a Bass or McDyess. We need a real banger in the paint, not giant softies like Rashard Lewis and Ryan Anderson.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by est. 1984:

You also have to consider what we lost in order to get Carter. A lot of depth and it cost us Hedo Turkoglu and probably Gortat too.

I'm not being so pessimistic, I know we have a great team. But we are trying to win a championship, I don't think what we have will get us there.

We really didn't lose a ton though. We replaced our starting PG with Jameer Nelson. We replaced our starting SG with Vince Carter. We replaced a bench big with Ryan Anderson. Yes we lost Hedo, and we'll probably lose Gortat, but those two guys alone don't equal a championship. I think Otis should be able to find a decent back up center, and he hopefully will get a good PF or SF so that we can either replace Turkoglu or move Shard to the SF spot and have a good starting PF. I really think we only have two or three pieces to add and than we have as good a shot as anyone.